If We Can Keep Tank

AUght2win

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Take Cam Newton and Nick Fairley off the 2010 team, then. 

The reality is you can't just trudge on without your stars. Especially if they're leaving voluntarily due to transfer. We have to understand we are a 6-6 team without any instant impact recruits coming in as of the moment. 

We are on the edge of falling into a hole. 

I'm sorry Bo Nix and Tank Bigsby ain't Cam Newton and Nick Fairley. They aren't even Nick Marshall and Tre Mason. Hell they aren't even Stidham and Johnson.

Point is, we will be fine. Stop all the doom and gloomy.

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I disagree with some of the expressed contempt on this forum with the possibility of Tank leaving. He’s one of the best backs in college. Given the right usage and surrounding personnel, he’s a Heisman contender. I agree that he should be doing what’s best for him and his career, but the idea that Auburn can’t deliver on that should be extremely alarming. 

This mentality of “Oh well, I’d rather have someone who wants to play for Auburn” is disappointing for a fan base that should be more competitive. If high caliber players like Tank don’t want to play for Auburn, that’s a problem that will continue to grow exponentially. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ThereGoesDavis said:

I disagree with some of the expressed contempt on this forum with the possibility of Tank leaving. He’s one of the best backs in college. Given the right usage and surrounding personnel, he’s a Heisman contender. I agree that he should be doing what’s best for him and his career, but the idea that Auburn can’t deliver on that should be extremely alarming. 

This mentality of “Oh well, I’d rather have someone who wants to play for Auburn” is disappointing for a fan base that should be more competitive. If high caliber players like Tank don’t want to play for Auburn, that’s a problem that will continue to grow exponentially. 

To be fair to Tank (and Worm), fixing the OL isn't going to just be a 1-year job. I expect we'll see some improvement in that regard next season but, it's still going to be a painful year.

Is AUght2win really in the instant gratification group though?  After years of waiting for some consistency with the previous regime I doubt many people expect an instant improvement with the new staff. 

Is it unreasonable to expect improvement on-the field as the season progressed?  Is it unreasonable as a fan to hope we can keep the core of the offense for retention of leadership and experience?  Is it unreasonable to expect solid recruiting from this staff at this point?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That's fine. But a few things have changed since your freshman year.

The SEC is now a 14 team, soon to be 16 team league with OU and Texas. Our top two rivals are on historic runs of recruiting and one is on the greatest run in the history of CFB. Let's not pretend it's as easy to build a contender from scratch as it used to be.

I don't think we can just shrug off bad years anymore. Nowadays, if you lose your footing you get trampled and struggle to get back to your feet. 

This. Auburn could easily become Wake Forest SEC - maybe two solid years within a ten-year period and then the next cycle begins, another 8 miserable years and two ok years, etc... this is not 2000, 2010, 2015 or even 2019 SEC FB anymore. It is winner takes all and it could be Texas vs Alabama - with UGA, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M somewhat in the mix and then you still have LSU and Florida...

Edited by AUreo

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

After this year, will players have to start sitting for a year again?

I may be wrong, but I believe the new 1 yr transfer rule is fixed.  All players have the option to make a 1 time transfer and play on any team that will take him.  

• Like 1

I think it's becoming clear that Bo wasn't great for Harsin's program. We should be able to get an upgrade in the portal. 

Tank hasn't left yet and I hope he doesn't. If he does, it's likely because he's tired of the Oline. Not a problem that Harsin created, but one he will have to fix. 

Just now, AUreo said:

This. Auburn could easily become Wake Forest SEC - maybe two solid years within a ten-year period and then the next cycle begins, another 8 miserable years and two ok years, etc... this is not 2000, 2010, 2015 or even 2019 SEC FB anymore. It is winner takes all and it could be Texas vs Alabama - with UGA and Texas A&M somewhat in the mix and then you still have LSU and Florida...

john-jonah-jameson-lol.gif

• Haha 2

If your program isn't getting better every single day then they are getting further behind.  Our main rivals and even some of the former middling SEC programs are working hard to improve and get better.  Some of those programs have an engrained sense of commitment and they consistently compete for championships. 

He’s good but running back is one of the easiest positions to recruit and fill. That’s why there are very few NFL teams that draft running backs early. Hunter, Goodwin, and who ever can most likely fill any void that’s left.  If he stays that’s great, if not, AUburn will be okay. 

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Sorry….last question today..is there a specific deadline out there for a player to decide they want to enter the portal?  

IIRC the deadline to enter the portal is mid-May.  It gives players time to see where they stand on the roster after spring training and it allows them to complete the semester.  

47 minutes ago, USATiger said:

The only thing is, it is too easy the way it is now.  No way to quantify this, but just for reference, two of the statues at Auburn wouldn't be there if the portal was like this back then.  Kids get beat out, fine just transfer, coach being a meany, transfer, gotta run stadiums, transfer.  That is my only concern with Harsin, he is tough and demanding.  We aren't at that level where kids come to get to the NFL, so many will make an emotional decision, that if the portal wasn't so wide open, would have to suck it up.   Barkley and Bo would've been gone before the coaches could talk them out of it.  Just like them, often times it helps a person for life, to work hard, and overcome instead of running.  Time will tell I guess

I don't know about Barkley but you are dead wrong about Bo Jackson. if you ever get a chance to talk to him ask him to tell you about being offered $5 million to go pro after his junior year and turning it down because he felt obligated to Coach Dye to be there for his senior year.

55 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Take Cam Newton and Nick Fairley off the 2010 team, then. 

The reality is you can't just trudge on without your stars. Especially if they're leaving voluntarily due to transfer. We have to understand we are a 6-6 team without any instant impact recruits coming in as of the moment. 

We are on the edge of falling into a hole. 

Those guys wanted to be there as far as we could tell though. These guys don’t. 

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We’re a 6-6 team with Bo and Tank.

True, but not sure we would have been a 6-6 team without them.  Could have been worse. :dunno:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

If your program isn't getting better every single day then they are getting further behind.  Our main rivals and even some of the former middling SEC programs are working hard to improve and get better.  Some of those programs have an engrained sense of commitment and they consistently compete for championships. 

You're new so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but, where do you get the idea that Auburn isn't working to get better every day?