In A Shocking Revelation, Cullman AL, the city that voted 88% for Trump and Hosted A MAGA Rally, Has Major Racism problems within it's School System.

CoffeeTiger

https://www.al.com/news/2021/12/cullman-parents-demand-action-on-racism-after-school-board-presidents-son-chants-kill-all-the-nrs.html?utm_campaign=aldotcom_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

futurama-philip-fry.gif

* Last month snapchat videos were uncovered from 2 Cullman High School Students  (one being the son of the Cullman City School Board President) chanting chanting “white power” and “kill all the n—rs.”

Jocelyn Logan, who said she is the mother of one of only a handful of Black students, faculty and staff in the system, asked the board’s members to put themselves in her shoes and ask themselves how they would feel if someone made a video shouting to kill all the redheads, marching band members or board members.

“At that point, you would take this threat very personally as my family has,” she said.

Logan also pointed out several other racist incidents that have occurred at the high school and middle school involving her child or others, including another student being called the n-word, hispanic students being called racial slurs and a group of students wearing “Klan” hoods in the hallway.

Students feel comfortable enough in the school system to behave in that manner in person and on video, she said.

the school superintendent has said Cullman plans to address these concerns by having more counselors at the school, sending a survey to students to ask if they've faced discrimination in school, and contracting with a motivational speaker associated with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes to deliver worships and speeches

No information was given on how to address all the Racism from Cullman parents and households that the children learned these behaviors from. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is so “shocking”? 

I think that was :drippingsarcasm7pa:

If you know anything about Cullman county it is still truly 1965 there.  I worked with a very pretty black woman that stopped inn town just off 31 for a pack of cigs and the cashier refused to sell to her. It almost ended badly for her. Gracie is the kindest, sweetest woman you have ever met. Grandma with almost killer looks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Nothing.  (That's the point.)

Trying to understand the reasoning in posting the topic. Disappointing but I fully understand Cullman “reputation” and “history”. 

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Trying to understand the reasoning in posting the topic. Disappointing but I fully understand Cullman “reputation” and “history”. 

Because frankly, the South has a well documented history of not changing for the better socially unless everyone else shames or forces us to. 

Ignoring it simply as "Cullman being Cullman" doesn't do anyone any good and only decreases the chances that the area will ever change. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just wanted to let you know that there's major racism in Houston's 5th ward and it's better but still a lot in Vidor too

Racism is shameful and I truly don't understand it, but people acting shocked that it's still around in areas where it's left to fester is strange. It's like finding moon rocks. If I found them in my back yard I'd be shocked. I'm not really surprised that they are on the moon though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just wanted to let you know that there's major racism in Houston's 5th ward.

Racism is shameful and I truly don't understand it, but people acting shocked that it's still around in areas where it's left to fester is strange. It's like finding moon rocks. If I found them in my back yard I'd be shocked. I'm not really surprised that they are on the moon though.

It's not shock, though. He stated that he was being sarcastic. 

However, many people- almost exclusively on one side of the aisle- like to claim that racism isn't still a significant problem. For example, there is a very popular refrain right now that critical race theory is the real problem when it comes to racial issues.

As long as racism continues to be a problem a light should continue to be shown on it.

If Gus Malzahn was still Auburn's football coach, would we not still be complaining about his shortcomings in the football forum?

It seems fairly common for examples of known, systemic issues to be posted in this forum and while they might be more common for one political leaning or another, I don't think that they are exclusive to either.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It seems fairly common for examples of known, systemic issues to be posted in this forum and while they might be more common for one political leaning or another, I don't think that they are exclusive to either.

Agreed.

To me, those that never see racism are just as bad as those that always see racism. Both ignore the fact that like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  What I have issues with the most is the width of the brush those groups try paint with.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agreed.

To me, those that never see racism are just as bad as those that always see racism. Both ignore the fact that like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  What I have issues with the most is the width of the brush those groups try paint with.

Certainly negative tendencies in both directions. To me the difference is in the stakes. Overzealous anti-racism might have consequences for its victims but I don't think those consequences tend to amount to physical harm or barriers to entry anywhere like the consequences for victims of racism do. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Certainly negative tendencies in both directions. To me the difference is in the stakes. Overzealous anti-racism might have consequences for its victims but I don't think those consequences tend to amount to physical harm or barriers to entry anywhere like the consequences for victims of racism do. 

I agree but I weight it slightly differently.