4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Our running plays in the 4th quarter:

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for 8 yards

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for -1 yards

Tank for 1 yard

Tank for 8 yards

If you still think Tank was getting stuffed and that our running game wasn’t working in the 4th quarter, then I don’t know what else to say. But you keep doing you!

if there is 9 in the box and our oline is getting blown off the ball, you don't keep running it into that.  Any coach will tell you that.  Cherrypick stats all you want but that is basic football.

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

How do you know it wasn't maximized?

We don't. Just as we do t know it was. What we do know is that DD was heavily recruited and not just by us. Whenever a qb doesn't pan out fans on these boards went straight to Gus and his failure to develop. Now with Harsin it's because both DD and Finley never had the potential. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Offense got alot of work to do. That’s 123rd out of 130 FBS teams 

That’s not an accurate data point IMO. That would be like only using Tank’s carries that got less than 2yds and judging that against everybody else’s total ypc. Apples/oranges.

The lack of talent on the OLine has absolutely cost us a multitude of games spanning a multitude of years. That’s not my opinion. That’s an absolute fact. If Gus would have recruited OLine like he should have he would still have his job today and we wouldn’t be having arguments on whether or not Harsin’s game management cost us a win. It’s literally that simple.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Didba said:

If the backup that wasn't scouted or recruited by a quality QB developer, simply doesn't have the physical tools to compete at this level then you can't put him in.  If DD really has no zip on the ball it is likely he throws a pick as soon as he gets in the game. 

TJ didn't have the tools to play at this level today. Try something different. Get creative. Get desperate. Do SOMETHING.

I had enough of going down with the offensively stagnant ship with Gus. I thought CBH was supposed to be an alpha competitor. A true competitor won't go down without trying everything in his arsenal.

Just now, shabby said:

We don't. Just as we do t know it was. What we do know is that DD was heavily recruited and not just by us. Whenever a qb doesn't pan out fans on these boards went straight to Gus and his failure to develop. Now with Harsin it's because both DD and Finley never had the potential. 

Wouldn't be the first highly touted recruit that was actually a bust.  Happens all the time. DD being heavily recruited by other programs doesn't really mean too much to me or any other QB.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'm longtime Anti-Gus. I'm pro-Harsin hire. Don't even start with that. 

But are we ready to admit there are some serious game management red flags with CBH? 

This was almost an exact rerun of Alabama. We completely seized up again in the 4th quarter. 30 total yards. Huge momentum shift with the Wooten INT, similar to the late 4th down stops in the IB. Houston was on death's door.

But the 3 plays following that huge turnover couldn't have been worse. Two bombs. Going away from Tank, who had over 160 total yards.

And of course, DD deserved at least one series today. He couldn't have possibly been worse than TJ today.

The playcalling in non-clutch situations was better. But I don't know, man. The inability to finish games or situational play-call or make personnel decisions isn't going to be solved by the portal or recruiting. Somebody convince me this is a bug and not a feature.

That's not on HArsin in the 4th qtr when a QB can't hit wide open WRs or a TB in the flat. 

Ofc, yes Harsin on the last drive, on 2nd and 2 he didn't call a run play

But I am sure he thought that on short high percentage passes, BECAUSE the defense is expecting the run, we could get a 1st down. 

It always looked worse, after the fact.

But I thought his play calling was pretty good. screens to Tank, passes to the TEs. Wide open deep throws. Wide open short passes.

The problem was the QB just can't execute consistently. DId Harsin push that too much? Probably. But the calls were open ones...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The lack of talent on the OLine has absolutely cost us a multitude of games spanning a multitude of years. That’s not my opinion. That’s an absolute fact. If Gus would have recruited OLine like he should have he would still have his job today and we wouldn’t be having arguments on whether or not Harsin’s game management cost us a win. It’s literally that simple.

Preach!

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dunno if that means that. You don’t know what someone is until they touch the field. That evaluation can tell you if someone is worse than someone else, but it can’t concretely lead to that conclusion. I know there’s certain qualifiers you put that wouldn’t allow for a Gus comparison, but I will say that Gus knew dual threat QBs fairly well leading into Malik Willis and completely whiffed with that one, bc he wouldn’t give him real game reps. 

I also don’t know how much Davis knows in QB evaluation, they had one starting QB his time there lol 

And you don’t know if MW didn’t finally get coaching that was needed until after he left.

19 minutes ago, Didba said:

if there is 9 in the box and our oline is getting blown off the ball, you don't keep running it into that.  Any coach will tell you that.  Cherrypick stats all you want but that is basic football.

Cherry-picking stats? I’m listing the ACTUAL running plays we ran in the 4th quarter and the yards gained from them. I don’t care how the defense was lining up, you said our running game was  not working in the 4th quarter and and that Tank was getting stuffed. I showed you the proof to the contrary.

Edited by PigskinPat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

TJ didn't have the tools to play at this level today. Try something different. Get creative. Get desperate. Do SOMETHING.

I had enough of going down with the offensively stagnant ship with Gus. I thought CBH was supposed to be an alpha competitor. A true competitor won't go down without trying everything in his arsenal.

I don't know the answers, wish I did. Just not ready to burn this Coach at the stake until he gets a fair shake with his recruits in the program.

Just learning over here on the job

Edited by W.E.D

Just now, PigskinPat said:

Cherry-picking stats? I’m listing the ACTUAL running plays we ran in the 4th quarter and the yards gained from them. I don’t care how the defense was lining up, you said our running game was  working in the 4th quarter and and that Tank was getting stuffed. I showed you the proof to the contrary.

Well you not caring how the defense is lining up is pretty telling.

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

"Heavily recruited" - he set records in Texas HS football and yet we stole him away from....Virginia Tech. Not Texas, not Oklahoma, not A&M, not even Okie State or Baylor. He was invited to the Elite 11 where he looked completely forgettable. When Malzahn was fired, I didn't see any scramble by other schools to "steal" him away from us. He has done nothing since coming here to suggest that he has some talent that makes him it a MUST to get him on the field. On the flip-side, he has clear physical limitations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

"Heavily recruited" - he set records in Texas HS football and yet we stole him away from....Virginia Tech. Not Texas, not Oklahoma, not A&M, not even Okie State or Baylor. He was invited to the Elite 11 where he looked completely forgettable. When Malzahn was fired, I didn't see any scramble by other schools to "steal" him away from us. He has done nothing since coming here to suggest that he has some talent that makes him it a MUST to get him on the field. On the flip-side, he has clear physical limitations.

Just curious, what are the physical limitations you are referring to? As I have read reports that he doesn't have much velocity on the ball. Any truth to that?

16 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Our running plays in the 4th quarter:

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for 8 yards

Hunter for 5 yards

Hunter for -1 yards

Tank for 1 yard

Tank for 8 yards

If you still think Tank was getting stuffed and that our running game wasn’t working in the 4th quarter, then I don’t know what else to say. But you keep doing you!

There area few people on here, I am convinced, have the last name Harsin. It's the only explanation for some people's takes.

• Haha 1

Just now, Didba said:

Preach!

I just don’t get how people don’t see this. It’s very obvious that some posters pick apart Harsin & Co. after every game with a fever they lacked when Gus was here. I’ve had times where I was frustrated with play calling this year but NOTHING beats the past 4-5 years for me. Also it’s not an excuse to say that Harsin is working with far less than a full deck. IMO OLine is the single most important position group on a football field and in my time of being an football fan I’ve never seen anything like this.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

DD was a fringe top 250 4* player with offers from Auburn, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Baylor, Arkansas...

Don't make him out to be some elite QB prospect that top schools wanted.

23 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The oline wasn’t the greatest but they did enough to win at least 4 of the last five games . It’s easy to blame them because they  have been identified as the weakest link. There is enough blame to go around for everyone. Average QB play wins the game today. They didn’t cause the over throws, the drops or the now famous tight end around.

The off tackle seemed to be working be stopped doing that as well.  How can there be such a lack of talent but u lead games 75% of the time that resulted in a loss.

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, japantiger said:

No tempo, calling plays the QB can't execute, poor play calling when you need to kill the clock, 2 downs to make 2 yards and dial up a half assed pass, no QB run plays....there was one decent play call that whole game on the 4th inside jet sweep call...other than that, I saw no difference today vs the crap we watched Gus dial up for 7 years. 

Bobo is gone; after this I question if he was the problem.  Play calling in this game was a goddam Greek tragedy (to quote Steve Buscemy).  

Did you not see several TB screen plays?   There was several tight-end throws.   When did Gus ever do that?  Seriously, if you can’t tell the difference in play calls you just refuse to look.  

• Like 1

Just now, AU North said:

I really hate that TJ entered the portal last year. Set us back a bit. JMO (which doesn't mean much but it's mine). wde

What set us back was the offer. That’s on our coaching staff not him.

Just now, Didba said:

Well you not caring how the defense is lining up is pretty telling.

Don’t know if you’re trying to be obtuse on purpose or you’re just naturally that way. Me saying  I don’t care about defense alignments was in reference to the argument you made about our running game being ineffective in the 4th quarter. You said the running game wasn’t working and I showed the proof that you have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s ok to admit when you’re wrong, but instead your rebuttal is a strawman argument about defensive alignments, which is pretty telling.

• Like 1