Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

This is the rub. We’ve had poor qb play for a long time. Have struggled mightily with the deep threat, which makes defenses creep up press more. Gotta open them up by connecting on those deep balls. A game manager qb would have won at least half of our losses this year including the iron bowl. 

Exactly.  All you need to do is look at the best part of the season.   Arkansas and Ole Miss games.   Nix connected on the deep ball on several throws.   I’m completely at a loss as to why Auburn can’t get someone that can just hit on some of the deep balls on a somewhat consistent basis.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

If you know the QB can’t make an accurate long throw then what good does it do to call it? 

You’re assuming that Harsin didn’t have confidence in him to make the throw. What’s your reasoning behind this assertion?

3 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

meaningless bowl game is a great time to confirm/deny that

It could be that it has already been confirmed in practice. Harsin is the coach and he certainly doesn’t have to confirm anything to you!

First off, I’m not even close to a guru and I know the OL needs major work, but can somebody explain to me why we don’t ever rush more than three? I mean, we almost beat Bammer because BY was laying on his back or running for his life until we slacked up. I just don’t understand. 

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Game manager's usually hit the deep passes, do they not? Bama had three solid game manager QBs that were pretty decent deep passer? Sims, McElroy and McCarron?

IMO, if you get drafted into the NFL, they don’t consider them “game managers”.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

IMO, if you get drafted into the NFL, they don’t consider them “game managers”.

well those guys were mislabeled by a ton of media then while at Alabama, which you may have a good point with.

3 minutes ago, TigerToe said:

First off, I’m not even close to a guru and I know the OL needs major work, but can somebody explain to me why we don’t ever rush more than three? I mean, we almost beat Bammer because BY was laying on his back or running for his life until we slacked up. I just don’t understand. 

We rushed 4 almost the whole game and blitz a ton in the 1st half.  They picked up the blitz pretty well and some of them failed to secure a sack on at least three separate occasions with a free shot at the QB. One of those resulted in their first TD.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

I do have concerns about CBH´s play calling and offensive game management in general. At this point, I am going to choose to believe that the problem is mostly execution rather than play selection. Our offense is extremely limited with TJ at QB. And when we can´t run the ball it´s even worse. I imagine Harsin is feeling as frustrated as we are. But it´s on him to make the changes and fix the problems.

5 minutes ago, provibe said:

It could be that it has already been confirmed in practice. Harsin is the coach and he certainly doesn’t have to confirm anything to you!

He'll be out of a job in a couple years time if he doesn't confirm to us, the fans, that he can compete in the SEC.  

• Like 1

Just now, Didba said:

well those guys were mislabeled by a ton of media then while at Alabama, which you may have a good point with.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

It just seems to me that if you can consistently connect on deep balls, you should be fairly capable of short to medium range ones, which is probably why they were drafted, probably not because they could manage the game but not connect on the passing tree routes. Just logic not knowledge in my part. (Also , I know , a run on sentence).

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

He'll be out of a job in a couple years time if he doesn't confirm to us, the fans, that he can compete in the SEC.  

I doubt very seriously that he will be out of a job 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Let me say this about the common excuse in this thread - "execution".

First off, execution is the eternal, unprovable excuse that could be attached to every athletic failure. It absolves coaches of anything, asserting that if their players had just played better, they would have won! "We had a game-plan to feed the ball to the team midget in the low post, he just didn't execute!" 

Execution can only be cited if your players fail to do what is well within their capabilities and strengths. TJ clearly established today that he couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy.

The plays weren't bad because TJ didn't execute. The plays were bad because TJ couldn't execute. And never should have been called.

We don't know that TJ can't execute any of those plays. We just know he didn't today. That doesn't make them bad play calls. 

If execution is the eternal, unprovable excuse, then bad play calling is the eternal, unprovable complaint of the fan. IF I remember correctly, you started threads complaining about passing instead of running in the SC game, running instead of passing in the Bama game, and now passing instead of running in today's game.

Any play call looks bad when it doesn't work. Harsin could be better, but no one calls a perfect game. Also, this was his first game calling plays all season, yet you are complaining about a trend. 

Who do you think has upper SEC talent on the O? 

19 minutes ago, e808 said:

Where is the evidence to support that. Ideally current players and recruits will say that but the numbers don’t support that. Auburn has reached a lot of lows this season with some being the first in history. How is that trending upward 

Chandler has no reason to say it.  His playing time is done.  I'll take the man's word here.

Sometimes upward doesn't equate to immediate success.  Folks who have run business or done major deals understand that mentality.  But the vision and the long game can be seen.

For example, I just finished inking a deal with a multi-billion dollar company for my business.  Worked on getting their biz for two years, most of the time just checking in, buying dinners, lunches, drinks, etc without any commitment that they would work with us.  But every conversation we had, I knew that we were trending in the right direction.  Now, there were no results to show, but my bosses continued to have faith that I could pull it off based on reports back.  They were rewarded.

Point being, trust those closer to the situation to be able to assess the program, especially those guys in the trenches who have seen multiple regimes.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, provibe said:

I doubt very seriously that he will be out of a job 

If we are sitting here at the end of the 2023 season with no significant improvement he absolutely will be out of a job.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

We are a QB that can run Harsin's scheme and an Oline away from a pretty dang good football team. Defense is already trending upwards especially with the guys coming in.

Agree. We were in every game this year except UGA. The weaknesses are so obvious. We need talent upgrade at a couple positions. It's up to Harsin to bring that in. If he can't, or if he can't win with the upgrade, THEN I will be out on Harsin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

And you don’t know if MW didn’t finally get coaching that was needed until after he left.

I also don’t know if he could throw a football three straight times until he left. I feel like those are both things that could’ve been easily determined by giving him real game reps 

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

We don't know that TJ can't execute any of those plays. We just know he didn't today. That doesn't make them bad play calls. 

If execution is the eternal, unprovable excuse, then bad play calling is the eternal, unprovable complaint of the fan. IF I remember correctly, you started threads complaining about passing instead of running in the SC game, running instead of passing in the Bama game, and now passing instead of running in today's game.

Any play call looks bad when it doesn't work. Harsin could be better, but no one calls a perfect game. Also, this was his first game calling plays all season, yet you are complaining about a trend. 

Who do you think has upper SEC talent on the O? 

You don't recall correctly. I've complained consistently that in our most crucial situations, we don't put the ball in our best players' hands - Bigsby (or Hunter).

- 4th and goal on the 2 at PSU we run a fade.

- 4th and 1 at USC we run a deep seam to a TE.

- 10 minutes to go in the 4th up 10-0 against Bama and we throw a pick on first play following a turnover.

- 3rd and 2 to win the IB and we run a dive with absolutely no blocking help for Tank.

- 6 minutes to go up 3 against Houston and we run 2 bombs.

I've consistently wanted us to use our talent in the most crucial situations. We consistently haven't. 

And yes, typically going away from your strength or higher percentage plays in crucial downs IS bad play calling. Is there such a thing as bad playcalling if that isn't it?

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Chandler has no reason to say it.  His playing time is done.  I'll take the man's word here.

Sometimes upward doesn't equate to immediate success.  Folks who have run business or done major deals understand that mentality.  But the vision and the long game can be seen.

For example, I just finished inking a deal with a multi-billion dollar company for my business.  Worked on getting their biz for two years, most of the time just checking in, buying dinners, lunches, drinka, etc without any commitment that they would work with us.  But every conversation we had, I knew that we were trending in the right direction.  Now, there were no results to show, but my bosses continued to have faith that I could pull it off based on reports back.  They were rewarded.

Point being, trust those closer to the situation to be able to assess the program, especially those guys in the trenches who have seen multiple regimes.

I hope they at least rewarded you with a subscription to Jelly of the Month Club for pulling that off!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

For example, I just finished inking a deal with a multi-billion dollar company for my business.  Worked on getting their biz for two years, most of the time just checking in, buying dinners, lunches, drinks, etc without any commitment that they would work with us.  But every conversation we had, I knew that we were trending in the right direction.  Now, there were no results to show, but my bosses continued to have faith that I could pull it off based on reports back.  They were rewarded.

Hard to trust what a person says for face value when the results says otherwise. People are judge on results not just talk

37 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

A bunch of our recruits said this exact same thing and pointed to it as a reason for signing with AU.  If our fans will just be patient, I believe we are in good hands.

Could you imagine how bad this fan base would have been towards Dye after year 1 if they had internet back then?

I do admire your optimism, and if we were only talking about the defense, I would agree with you.

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

I said that back when we hired him.  He is from the Mountain west conference and he had no idea about plsycallig.  If he had called more playaction passes on first down would have made a difference but that idiot from the mountain west conference doesn't even know what a play action pass is.

I recall another idiot, from one of those western conferences, who coached at Auburn. After a difficult first year, Auburn went on to win 4 SEC championships while he coached here.

Edited by SumterAubie

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I doubt that there's more that 2-3 posters that actually wanted to keep Gus. The majority liked Gus as a person, and appreciated all the good things he did,  but understood the need for a change. Many posters disapprove of the constant bashing and blaming Gus for Harsin's mistakes. I don't think anyone "hates" Harsin or wants him to fail. But plenty of Auburn fans are not sold on him being the Next Best Thing, and with good reason. He hasn't earned our confidence yet, and things are kind of unsettling right now. He doesn't have a great personality and he hasn't shown that he's a great SEC coach so far. So many people have not warmed up to him yet and that's a reasonable response at this point. I know you hate to admit that Gus is not to blame.....but he has NOTHING to do with Harsin's lack of acceptance by lots of Auburn fans. Harsin is not an obvious good fit on the Plains and it remains to be seen if he works out. He's responsible for his own career at Auburn, and his own mistakes, including the mess that was 2021. 

You had me at hello. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Didba said:

We rushed 4 almost the whole game and blitz a ton in the 1st half.  They picked up the blitz pretty well and some of them failed to secure a sack on at least three separate occasions with a free shot at the QB. One of those resulted in their first TD.

Yep, hard to keep calling blitzes if it’s resulting in butt naked intermediate passes

Guys played on a different level, blitzes or not, vs Alabama. There’s a reason many of those individual performances were considered closer to outliers lol 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You don't recall correctly. I've complained consistently that in our most crucial situations, we don't put the ball in our best players' hands - Bigsby (or Hunter).

- 4th and goal on the 2 at PSU we run a fade.

- 4th and 1 at USC we run a deep seam to a TE.

- 10 minutes to go in the 4th up 10-0 against Bama and we throw a pick on first play following a turnover.

- 3rd and 2 to win the IB and we run a dive with absolutely no blocking help for Tank.

- 6 minutes to go up 3 against Houston and we run 2 bombs.

I've consistently wanted us to use our talent in the most crucial situations. We consistently haven't. 

And yes, typically going away from your strength or higher percentage plays in crucial downs IS bad play calling. Is there such a thing as bad playcalling if that isn't it?

1.   4th and 2 or 3rd and 2 runs do not work for us.   Been this way all yr. that’s why they did the jet sweeps
2.   What u would think is automatic is a QB sneak for less than a yd since we have a got a 9’0 tall 300 lb qb, but heck no.   Cannot even get 2 feet.  

• Like 2