Bobby Hoppe

Proud Tiger

A lot of young posters here probably don't know much about Bobby Hoppe, star running back on Auburn's 1957 NC team.  You should watch the ESPN documentary about him in the Storied SEC series which aired a few weeks ago. You can watch it on ESPN from their library. Here is a link to an article which is good but the TV documentary is much better. You will see lots of players from that team and a lot about Coach Jordan.

'The Trials of Bobby Hoppe' examines the former Auburn star's role in a 1957 shooting death (espn.com)

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

A lot of young posters here probably don't know much about Bobby Hoppe, star running back on Auburn's 1957 NC team.  You should watch the ESPN documentary about him in the Storied SEC series which aired a few weeks ago. You can watch it on ESPN from their library. Here is a link to an article which is good but the TV documentary is much better. You will see lots of players from that team and a lot about Coach Jordan.

'The Trials of Bobby Hoppe' examines the former Auburn star's role in a 1957 shooting death (espn.com)

Interesting, never heard of him, I'll take a peek

great story, wish he had been given the not guilty

Edited by Didba
  • Like 3

His wife was Sherri Hoppe who was the president of Austin Peay State University while I was there.   At the time I never knew her husband played at Auburn.  I wish I did because I would have tried to meet him.  I wore my Auburn hat every day I was there.   Out of state tuition ruined my dream of going to Auburn and playing in the drumline. 

looks like she wrote a book about him  https://www.amazon.com/Matter-Conscience-Redemption-Hometown-Bobby/dp/1609560019

Edited by aubietiger14
  • Like 1

While at Auburn Bobby was the scariest guy around. Lots and lots of story's about him. Bobby had his demons. There's been several threads started on him. 

An Auburn football star, a killing and redemption | News |  auburnvillager.com

• Like 3

There were some serious badasses on that team.  

Jim Jeffrey, who was also from Chattanooga, was my personal favorite. Must have been something in the water.....

Image1

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Thanks for posting Proud Tiger!   The article is certainly worth the read.

The video documentary is even better. You get excerpts of lots of old game and comments from coaches. Also insight what a great coach Shug Jordan was.

As a bit of trivia our QB in 1957 was Lloyd Nix and he and I sold class rings together for Balfour Jewelers. I fitted Bobby Hoppe for his ring.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

what a great coach Shug Jordan was.

Shug was just a great human being totally opposite of bear. He had a photographic memory if he met you he could remember your name forever 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Shug was just a great human being totally opposite of bear. He had a photographic memory if he met you he could remember your name foreve

There are several things I'd like to change about myself.   Being able to do this would be near the top.  Remembering names makes people feel good.  I'm crappy at it.  Thankfully my better half excels at it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Shug was just a great human being totally opposite of bear. He had a photographic memory if he met you he could remember your name forever 

He sure was. So was Coach Joel Eaves, FB and BB coach and later Georgia AD. The others....Bradberry, Senn, Lorendo, Herring, etc., were all good guys, some better than others.

• Like 1

Great documentary.   I watched the Rowdy Gaines story also and it brought back memories and a lot more than I ever knew, even though I was there in 84.  

I hate watching much tv, but this was worth my time.  There are several Auburn stories on that SEC part of the network. 

Thanks for the post and great tip. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1