Ike Jones comments on J. Johnson transfer and the state of the program

autiger88

1 hour ago, Didba said:

I mean Ike is right for the most part.

he will be right if what he says plays out --the crux of his argument that actually matters is "well we need to wait till spring or shortly after to see what transfer portal players come in and coaches because Jameson Williams was Bama's lead wr and he didn't get there till after spring so let's wait on the freak out show till then" everything else he said is just placating with things like "well the fan base hated the wr corp and these ansillary coaches anyways".

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Sorry to be ignorant, and no aspersions, but who is Ike Jones?

He is a part of the war rapport on YouTube. His comments were made yesterday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

He is a part of the war rapport on YouTube. His comments were made yesterday 

Thanks. I liked what I saw of the show, but I didn't know anything about his background.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

But they had to be in the portal. Probably was trying to show there is quality players available.

True but the Bamas and the Georgias will always be desired destinations. They will probably get the best of what’s in the portal. For example I thought Drob would be better but by the end of the season the other receivers had surpassed him IMO. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

But they had to be in the portal. Probably was trying to show there is quality players available.

No doubt, and that example is a fact. It is also unfortunately the rare exception rather than the rule. We had an equal need as Bama did at WR last year. Did Jameson Williams even consider coming to Auburn?

• Like 4

I think JJ is much better suited for a pass first offense like Ole Miss.   In a run first offense, receivers must be able to block a little bit (or have truly game breaking Devonta Smith speed -- he weighs 170 btw).  After 2 years in the weight room, JJ is listed on our roster at 159 pounds which means he is probably closer to 150.     His high school weight was listed at 160.

15 hours ago, e808 said:

I am just saying. Doesn’t mean that I have to agree with it or vice versa. For example trying to compare Bama portal losses when the talent level is different. 

When they backfill their portal losses with top ranked replacements, there's no logical reason to compare them with Auburn's. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

J Johnson will be a loss. Why?

1. he's our 2nd most experienced WR behind Jackson.

2. He knew Harsin's offense and at times was the primary target.

3. You can't coach qickness, hands and speed. He had it and was going to be one our better slot WRs.

4. We have no clue behind him is capable of giving us the same results. I hope we do.

5. Unless they find WRs after spring, we have a small WR group. I think 6? assuming no one else leaves.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

J Johnson will be a loss. Why?

1. he's our 2nd most experienced WR behind Jackson.

2. He knew Harsin's offense and at times was the primary target.

3. You can't coach qickness, hands and speed. He had it and was going to be one our better slot WRs.

4. We have no clue behind him is capable of giving us the same results. I hope we do.

5. Unless they find WRs after spring, we have a small WR group. I think 6? assuming no one else leaves.

This is where people start fantasizing about TrFr 3* players and convincing themselves they can be as good as guys going into their 3rd year of college football.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Thanks. I liked what I saw of the show, but I didn't know anything about his background.

Probably one of the better podcasts out there rn, imo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I love their show. Ike isn't a stupid guy, so he's playing an angle for some reason. I'm wondering if they are worried that they'll get their freshly-gained press credentials revoked if they say what they're really thinking. They have been granted access to ADAG, CBP, Suni, etc., so it'll be hard for them to be too critical of anything happening in the AD for the foreseeable future.

On the football front, we got a whole lot going on right now and not a lot of it is good.

This is just BS.  MikeG of the WarRapport asked Harsin very pointed/critical questions all season at every presser. 

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Ike has had some extremely contradictory takes. A couple of the Rapport guys have (I do enjoy their stuff though, by the way).

But they keep saying two things that are irreconcilable and contradictory to try to excuse all this stuff away.

1. The hiring of Coach Harsin is a departure from the old way of doing things. The PTB are no longer in charge. Therefore, with such a drastic change, we should expect some rough times. 

2. The coordinators and CBH's staff troubles are due to the fact that the PTB forced them on CBH, therefore, these rough times are actually still a product of the PTB.

Both those cannot be true. I'm not convinced EITHER is true. 

I don't think CBH had to tear everything down to the last brick as they've asserted so many times, and I also don't think the PTB are tying Harsin's hands in any way.

I think things aren't going well, and it didn't have to be this way. But it can also turn around.

Let's just not reach for every possible excuse to say it's all fine and nothing is wrong.

I particularly appreciate your last 4 sentences as describing where I am with the program also. I would add that I'd feel much better about a drastic culture change leading to lots of guys leaving if Harsin was also bringing in lots of guys who want to join what he's building. But he isn't. Zero signees yesterday. A good but small group on ESD. 5 guys from the portal where we totally whiffed on the OL & WRs we wanted (& need). SC & Ark outdoing us in the portal. SC & Missouri ahead of us in recruiting. That's just ugly. And then on top of that is the coaching drama. Yes, it can turn around. I am pulling for Harsin to be the guy. But I also find myself reaching for the word "demoralized" to describe how I feel about the football program right at this moment. Thank heavens I'm an Auburn fan & not just an Auburn football fan! Love the men's BB team, of course! Love the gymnastics team! Looking forward to softball season with hopes for significant improvement & steps toward another championship run in the near future. Hoping the baseball team will be better. I'm even enjoying the improvement of the women's BB team though it hasn't translated into many SEC wins yet. But Coach J has us moving in a positive direction. And that's my struggle with Harsin--right now I don't see that the football program is moving in a positive direction. As the weeks have passed since halftime of the Miss St game, we've had very few positives to celebrate. And that's become demoralizing.

• Like 1

This staff will learn one way or another that they can't consistently compete in this league with a shallow talent pool.  Now with NIL they should be ready to pour out the $$ to get the stars in here. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is just BS.  MikeG of the WarRapport asked Harsin very pointed/critical questions all season at every presser. 

Based on your comments and reactions within this thread, I believe that you are as rosy about the WarRapport as they have been about the football program recently. As their access has increased, their criticism of the program has waned. Contrast that with them regularly blasting the strength and conditioning program, not going 1v1 during practices, rewarding tenure rather than performance, and ridiculous roster management as Gus' era was ending.

But hey, maybe everything is fine. 21 players leaving the program including many on the 2-deep via the portal, lack of bringing in portal talented in key areas of need on offense, a second straight subpar recruiting class (I think 9th in the SEC), turning over 6 coaches on the staff (including one during the season, which is exceedingly rare), attempting to hire or hiring two flawed OC candidates back-to-back....are all just isolated situations probably.

Edited by BigBlueWDE

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I like Ike.  He's definitely the most positive person on the show and spins it that way.  Ha, even called me out in the last sentence.

He's not totally wrong.  But I don't think he's totally right either.

Agree. This is what my response was going to be. No it's not the end of the world but talent is talent. Let's not act like we can easily replace the same talent as Bama. We can't. It's all a balance. No need to blind to all the issues but at the same time no need to panic. 

Harsin needs all the talent he can keep and get to show although we don't have the talent and depth....we can get there if recruits come to Auburn. At this point, i'm just like ok...whomever wants out...just get out so we can move the h3ll on NOW. Stop the bleeding and proceed to the plan. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This is where people start fantasizing about TrFr 3* players and convincing themselves they can be as good as guys going into their 3rd year of college football.

The state that we're in...we likely may have to for the next 2 - 3 years. Who are we going to get that's better at this point to be ready for the season? That's just being real and honest with the situation. Like it or not, we're going to need those type of players to at the very least show improvement so we can get the 4 and 5 star WRs. We were already not a destination spot for top WRs so we're going to have to figure out some way to get there. Not saying that Johnson was for sure one of those guys but it would have been nice to hang on to him. We're not in the position to be shunning guys like him because he didn't have amazing numbers or highly rated. 

I said before the 2021 season that Harsin would have to show on the field what he plans to bring to Auburn football and only then would the top recruits take notice.  The season started ok and then the wheels tried to fall off vs GaState, then things smoothed out for a few weeks until November hit the skids and never looked back, and it's felt like a downward spiral since then.

1 hour ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Based on your comments and reactions within this thread, I believe that you are as rosy about the WarRapport as they have been about the football program recently. As their access has increased, their criticism of the program has waned. Contrast that with them regularly blasting the strength and conditioning program, not going 1v1 during practices, rewarding tenure rather than performance, and ridiculous roster management as Gus' era was ending.

But hey, maybe everything is fine. 21 players leaving the program including many on the 2-deep via the portal, lack of bringing in portal talented in key areas of need on offense, a second straight subpar recruiting class (I think 9th in the SEC), turning over 6 coaches on the staff (including one during the season, which is exceedingly rare), attempting to hire or hiring two flawed OC candidates back-to-back....are all just isolated situations probably.

Go look through my post history.   I try to stay pretty positive on the program's outlook but have said plenty of negatives/criticism's in the past week or so due to everything that's going on.  We haven't interacted before so its all good on your mischaracterization.  Also, don't be so quick to judge based off reactions.  Sometimes, I react just because its the same old posters saying the same stuff they always do when the post IE TigerBelle, Mikey, Viper, etc.