Men @ Arkansas

AUinMS9528

35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is no tiebreaker in basketball. If we tie with Kentucky the only thing that head to head would get us is the 1 seed in the conference tourney. Unfortunately we would share the league conference regular season title like we did with Rocky Top in 17/18 even though we beat them in the head to head. I will gladly take that because we still get to cut down the nets and get rings and hang a banner. I really am worried Kentucky will win out the rest of the regular season. They have been playing absolutely lights out lately.

Yep hitting that peak at the right time is EVERYTHING. As far as winning the meaningful games

34 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'd say 50% chance UK wins out. They've got some tricky games left @Tennessee, @Arkansas, @Florida, and another tilt against the bammers. I doubt they're going to shoot 10% from three again. If they do I'm going to laugh my ass off. 

@Ark seems like the only potential loss there to me. If Tenn has a swing from a 30 point L to a win though, I’d be impressed 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Offensive rebounding/shot selection- they do a good job of offensive rebounding but do an excellent job or not allowing offensive rebounding,

That is definitely a concern!!!   Because we affect so many shots, we force a lot of misses, but because we’re so active affecting shots, we’re often not in a good position to get the rebound.    And our guards take lots of ill-advised shots.  Kessler and Cambridge have saved the day with some huge offensive boards.  If this goes in favor of the hogs on both sides, we may be in trouble.  
I like your counter as well.   Any shot Jabari takes is a good shot selection.  😁   If he gets 20+ and Kessler does his thing in the paint, I like our chances.   I would love to see Wendell have more assists than points, and KD actually pass the ball a few times.  

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Tenn has a swing from a 30 point L to a win though, I’d be impressed 

Not far off from what uga did with us.

UK couldn’t miss a shot in that game.   There’s no way they shoot like that again, so I do expect it to be much closer.   Not ready to call a UT win, though.  

I think we beat Arkansas by a comfortable margin.  I think Auburn just used up their last "half-a*s" effort game and I think (HOPE!) they know it.  If they are shooting for an undefeated SEC season as a team goal right now then Arkansas better watch out.  If the mindset stays the same as UGA where we think we are so much better than the other team we can play without maximum effort on both ends of the floor and still win the game then we will lose.  I'm with many of you in that I think a loss wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to the team but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a positive from any perspective either.  It might re-center some of the guys that who's egos have become slightly over-inflated but even then I can't really pick anyone out in particular as showing evidence of this.  Every player on this team has experienced losing at both the high school and college level, they all know how crappy it feels, particularly when you are on track to meet EVERY SINGLE GOAL that they started the season with.  I hope they put their recent road game troubles on ice and get back to dominant basketball.  Just the near total lack of what is often called the "two man" game where our PG and big men play to the rim (AU's bread and butter!) in the last game I think shows that they were just playing half-a*s ball.  There was also a distinct lack of diving and running for loose balls and multiple instances of U.G.A's players just outworking Auburn's guys on the court, particularly getting back on defense quickly.  I will also stand by my guess that there were several guys not feeling too well for that the U.G.A. game and it was NOT just Jasper.  Just my .02 cents.  

Edited by BHDAU1
spelling

I'm glad we have a few tough road games left. We need them to prepare. We also need to meet Kentucky in the SEC tournament finals. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a rematch at the big dance as well. But nah, we ain't losing to Arky.

26 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Sounds about right to me. Did you think it would be bigger, or that we'd be the dog?

I thought ARK -1 would be the opening line. Just based off our recent road games + their 8-game win streak. 

With Zep out again, this game will be difficult.  With respect, we can’t play Cook.  Is Lior back?  Jabari has to shoot more and make the shots.  Flanigan has just been a liability.  

• Sad 1

Why has Flanigan been a liability? Evidence?

Virginia double dribbled.

We better have good handles tonight. Arky has nothing to lose. As guard heavy as they are, I'll be surprised if they don't work in a good bit of full court ball pressure. Max effort. Make us work to bring the ball up the floor. Jasper, Cook, Berman. A combination of those 3 need to competently eat up enough minutes to give Wendell and KD a breather. Need those 2 as fresh as possible.

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

This confirmed?

Nothing yet. The tweet I posted last night about his status got deleted because the reporter was getting conflicting reports. I don't think we'll know until abut an hour before game time.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

This confirmed?

He didn't practice, so even if he does play I wouldn't expect 100% from him. Going to have to tweak something with the rotations to give Wen and KD a breather.  i would let AF play some 2 and maybe get Moore some minutes in AF's usual spot. 

11 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

He didn't practice, so even if he does play I wouldn't expect 100% from him. Going to have to tweak something with the rotations to give Wen and KD a breather.  i would let AF play some 2 and maybe get Moore some minutes in AF's usual spot. 

That’s what I figured. What’s your prediction for the game? 

4 hours ago, Viper said:

ARK +2.

Little surprised.

I took Arkansas for a little bit of $.

I can't lose. If Auburn wins it's great. If Arkansas wins I get some $. And even better, if Auburn wins by 1, I get the cash AND an Auburn win.

• Love 1

Regarding resume, every big school has lost games on the road.  Road games against the toughest opponents are a toss up.  Be nice if we came out and put the hammer down, but Arkansas is tough.  Need to make good choices...good shot selection...and they need to go in early and often.

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Nothing yet. The tweet I posted last night about his status got deleted because the reporter was getting conflicting reports. I don't think we'll know until abut an hour before game time.

Didn’t notice Zep in the video of the Arkansas students chanting at the team as they arrived today. 

(I know, this is the basketball injury equivalent of tracking airplanes in a coach search.)

31 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Need to make good choices...good shot selection...and they need to go in early and often.

Unfortunately I see more of the same 1st half tendencies on the road…playing hero ball by jacking up 3’s due to a lack of passing, driving & getting it to the paint.

Then the 2nd half we’ll see KD kamikaze drives to the hole having to come from behind again.

Basically the same gameplan as the last two road games.

If this team ever learns how to pass it around the horn on the road and get it to Jabari to post up on the block, and when doubled or too far out, get it back to him to re-post, we’ll be unstoppable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

I am hoping this is the game Jabari just comes out and takes the load and shines. 

Same here, but he has to be fed. A lot. He just isn’t capable of taking on a defender face-up with the dribble. That’s the major difference in his comparisons to Durant. If he ever masters a solid one-on-one dribble face-up, he could be the next Durant.

Man i really wish Zep could go for this game. Even getting 10 mins out of him would be huge. 

I bet we see more zone in this game if Zep is limited. Bruce mentioned he should have done more of that in the last game. We don't have many guys who can give PG minutes. KD and Flan are the only 2 on scholarship that i think can do it. KD will have to completely change his mindset to do it. Not sure if you want that for just 1 game. 

My guess is we'll try and play Cambridge and Moore at the 3 and let KD and Flan try and give Green a rest at PG here and there.