Survey Says....Will Coach Harsin -

Beaker

Poll - moving forward....2/14  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coach Harsin a learner? Will he learn from this first year/cycle?

• Yes - seems intelligent and capable. Surely, he will grow from year one.
    • No, I don't believe I have seen enough to believe he will change one iota.
  2. 2. Will recruiting change?

• I believe Harsin will be more hands on - get into more schools and more frequently. He will learn from this cycle.
  3. 3. Culture Changes?

• With the new facilities, the big hula-baloo last week and new season, I think Harsin will adjust some.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's not true that he's reluctant, or it's not true that he only recently started reaching out to them?

That he is reluctant.  
has he made mistakes in the recruiting game, yes.  Are they fixable, yes every single one of them.  Now if he repeated a mistake then I would be more concerned.  Some mistakes were/are self inflicted.  Others, not so much, a dysfunctional Athletic Department can cause missteps.  Sadly, there are some that want him to fail.  
will he be at these coaching conventions this year and next yes.  If he wins a national championship will he be hitting up the top recruits in the country within 48 hours or sooner, hell yes, every gosh dang coach is gonna use that to their advantage.  Most coaches do change and adapt because their drive to win is what makes them.  I don’t question Harsin’s drive to win.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Nor do I. Just hope he's a fast learner.

Me too, I kepT having hope the last coach would and that didn’t happen.  Of course I did question his will to win, being a beta and all.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Except the results back up the intel.

And we have actual, published quotes from Phenix City.

That's one way of knowing.

Except there are literal pictures of him at the phenix city event... unless we are talking about two different events.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Me too, I kepT having hope the last coach would and that didn’t happen.  Of course I did question his will to win, being a beta and all.

I didn't until Clemson 2016. He fooled me several times after that. Harsin will, too, or he'll actually be good.

Just now, Didba said:

Except there are literal pictures of him at the phenix city event...

We're probably not talking about the same thing. I encourage you to look into why we didn't make Tomarrion Parker's top 5. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hopefully will never get as bad as Earl Brown's 1950 team worst I've ever seen 0-10

Date Opponent Site Result Attendance Source
September 22 Wofford* L 14–19    
September 30 at Vanderbilt L 0–41 19,000  
October 7 Southeastern Louisiana* L 0–6    
October 14 at Florida L 7–27 30,000  
October 21 at Georgia Tech L 0–20 22,000  
October 28 Tulane
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama
L 0–28    
November 4 at Mississippi State L 0–27    
November 18 vs. Georgia L 10–12    
November 25 No. 11 Clemson*
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama (rivalry)
L 0–41    
December 2 vs. No. 17 Alabama L 0–34 39,000  
  • *Non-conference game
  • Rankings from AP Poll released prior to the game

We would beaten Wofford had that game been at Cliff Hare…..Georgia to, jmo.

• Like 1

A lot more good discussion on this than I expected from the OP. A lot of good points being made. And here's my pure conjecture.

At his core, Harsin isn't going to change. I do expect he is the type of person that evaluates every minute detail, and tries to figure out ways to improve every year. He seems like an affable guy, but no he is not a salesman and doesn't look like he would be comfortable at glad handing, schmoozing events. I think he can and does connect with players and coaches based on his previous success and the coaches who followed him here and the players who stayed and the ones who came back that didn't have to.

I doubt he understood the swamp that is SEC recruiting with Saban/Kirby especially. I doubt he knew the depth of depravity that he would encounter when going up against those slime balls and their recruiting infrastructure. In his naivete there, he probably thought that they were tough to go against in recruiting, but that it would still be a level playing field and the recruit would decide on a school in their best interest. I imagine he's had his eyes opened in that area, and will hopefully realize he's gonna have to at least massage if not kiss some booster ass to compensate in that area.

And, on a side note, I can't help but think Bobo/Friend/Corn/Mason were strongly recommended hires for him. They didn't work out and he took care of 3 of the problems (sorry I'm not high on Mason like a bunch of you are). Friend staying is a mystery for now. I can understand Eason leaving when momma came calling. Davis is a WTF happened there hire/resignation. Brumbaugh is another Auburn/SEC guy on board and well see how that goes. The Florida LB coach seems like a decent hire too. OC we'll see once it happens.

Harsin did a good job saving the early signing day class, and also did a great job in the transfer portal last year. We'll see if he can get some guys to buy in from the TP after spring to fill out the roster. But, yeah, next year's recruiting class and success in the TP will play a big difference in how he fares here. I'm actually optimistic about next year. Not as in a great season, but showing progress on and off the field. The culture is building. So, like he said, do you want it done right or do you want it right now?

• Like 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I don't think he'll resist to try to adapt and make changes, but he's never going to be a Mark Richt type coach here, a well loved and revered coach.   I just think he's too hard core for the youth of today. 

Like it or not he's a hardass and that obviously doesn't go over well with every player or asst coach.  I think he can work on being more considerate of his players, get to know them and their background better and he can try to ingratiate himself with their upbringing.  Listen to them and their problems and then try to work on helping them reach the next level academically and athletically so that they end up in better surroundings than they were raised.  

I would 100% support him hiring a psychology support staff the help him evaluate each player on the team.  Get feedback from the psychologist and learn how to treat each player and how to praise, punish and drive the players.  What works for one guy may not work for another.  He needs help with this and the Auburn Admin should be willing to fund it immediately.   

It’s not an issue of the youth of today. It’s an issue of a changing college landscape. In the past, it was significantly harder for players to transfer, so, even if they felt mistreated, they’d ride it out because leaving hurt their chances to play. And schools were less willing to buy out coaching contracts to the extent they do now. Research in psychology suggests that that kind of “tough love” leadership has never been as effective as people think it is. It’s just that players and coaches in the past didn’t really have an easy way to escape it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

It’s not an issue of the youth of today. It’s an issue of a changing college landscape. In the past, it was significantly harder for players to transfer, so, even if they felt mistreated, they’d ride it out because leaving hurt their chances to play. And schools were less willing to buy out coaching contracts to the extent they do now. Research in psychology suggests that that kind of “tough love” leadership has never been as effective as people think it is. It’s just that players and coaches in the past didn’t really have an easy way to escape it.

Yup. Also, our guy doesn't get to blame variables that other coaches are managing just fine. The "youth of today" are the same kids that beat Harsin's players 7 times this year. He needs to figure it out.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Does anyone else see similar characteristics in Brian Kelly as Harsin minus the cheesy dancing vids? 

What else is there?  That guy's a bona fide dick, our guy is just an a**hole....

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

That he is reluctant.  
has he made mistakes in the recruiting game, yes.  Are they fixable, yes every single one of them.  Now if he repeated a mistake then I would be more concerned.  Some mistakes were/are self inflicted.  Others, not so much, a dysfunctional Athletic Department can cause missteps.  Sadly, there are some that want him to fail.  
will he be at these coaching conventions this year and next yes.  If he wins a national championship will he be hitting up the top recruits in the country within 48 hours or sooner, hell yes, every gosh dang coach is gonna use that to their advantage.  Most coaches do change and adapt because their drive to win is what makes them.  I don’t question Harsin’s drive to win.  

I don’t doubt his drive either I just think he has a huge lack of self awareness and frankly, just makes some dumb mistakes. The junior day scheduling? Losing out on an OL recruit because he wouldn’t return Friend’s call?

No excuse for those things. Those aren’t philosophical or strategic errors. That’s just stupidity. I don’t see how that changes.

There’s just too many coaches and players leaving him I see no way he’s going to be able to put a good team on the field.   It’s almost like we are on probation with half a staff remaining heading into a critical spring trying to find a new QB.  He is in way over his head and I think he is too stubborn to realize it.  

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t doubt his drive either I just think he has a huge lack of self awareness and frankly, just makes some dumb mistakes. The junior day scheduling? Losing out on an OL recruit because he wouldn’t return Friend’s call?

No excuse for those things. Those aren’t philosophical or strategic errors. That’s just stupidity. I don’t see how that changes.

And I hope I’m wrong. But if there’s any mistake a person can make it’s *expecting* another to change. Gus certainly never did.

42 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Junior Day debacle, no excuse for.  Friend thing, is unbelievable as that story had too many holes and lacked basic logic at too many levels.  Also came out during misinformation period of lies.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I apologize but you did say a bunch of B.S. about me “nagging”, being a “wet blanket”, told me to “suck it up”, said I post “negative garbage”. So you fired the first shot.

Wrong on all accounts, this is what i posted "  So are you going to be one of the nagging wet blankets that just has to inflict negative garbage every time there is a post about him? 

I asked you were you going to be this type of person I did NOT say that you were. 

just a different outlook between us. I view things different. Now this is me just me I am speaking for myself. I hate negativity and Debbie Downer's.  I refuse to roll around in pity. I am not a gloom and doom person. I refuse to be a victim in any circumstance. I don't live by the " it is what it is " phrase. That's the biggest failure line in modern history. I refuse to let the past dictate my future or my attitude.  You are welcome at my campfire anytime.

1 hour ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Wrong on all accounts, this is what i posted "  So are you going to be one of the nagging wet blankets that just has to inflict negative garbage every time there is a post about him? 

I asked you were you going to be this type of person I did NOT say that you were. 

just a different outlook between us. I view things different. Now this is me just me I am speaking for myself. I hate negativity and Debbie Downer's.  I refuse to roll around in pity. I am not a gloom and doom person. I refuse to be a victim in any circumstance. I don't live by the " it is what it is " phrase. That's the biggest failure line in modern history. I refuse to let the past dictate my future or my attitude.  You are welcome at my campfire anytime.

That’s genuinely a great attitude and I believe in it myself. But we are talking about a football program we have 0 direct control over. A positive or negative outlook from us isn’t going to affect the final score of any games. Idk how the “victim” thing applies but technically, yes, if you love and invest in Auburn, we are victims of whatever Auburn’s administration does.

That’s what I don’t understand. We AREN’T playing or coaching. We DON’T have control. Our attitudes as outside observers literally do not matter.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I have a theory on the Junior Day scheduling:

I think bama jumped our date knowing we had a great day with the UK game scheduled that weekend.  They knew they would garner the top kids.    Harsin had a choice - compete against bama with a great date and attraction (UK game) or blink and move so as to maybe get the kids he wanted.   

I could be way wrong, but I think moving the date screwed us. 

• Dislike 2

12 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Well a** holes and dicks live in the same region 🤣

Don't make me break out the Team America bar scene about Ps, Ds, an AHs ..,.

17 minutes ago, AUx said:

Don't make me break out the Team America bar scene about Ps, Ds, an AHs ..,.

I think you essentially just did and for that I thank you.

Uuuu

x

**** yeah!