Survey Says....Will Coach Harsin -

Beaker

Poll - moving forward....2/14  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Is Coach Harsin a learner? Will he learn from this first year/cycle?

• Yes - seems intelligent and capable. Surely, he will grow from year one.
    • No, I don't believe I have seen enough to believe he will change one iota.
  2. 2. Will recruiting change?

• I believe Harsin will be more hands on - get into more schools and more frequently. He will learn from this cycle.
  3. 3. Culture Changes?

• With the new facilities, the big hula-baloo last week and new season, I think Harsin will adjust some.

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Because what he’s done so far has ran off players and coaches, and has him at odds with the people who hold all the cards. He can’t succeed by continuing to do what he’s been doing.

Well at least you didn’t say he ran off all the players and coaches that left. He probably did run off some that most of us “might” have agreed needing to be run off. Then we know for sure that others left for their own reasons and not because he ran them off

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Why am I still here? Because I love Auburn and Auburn is much bigger than you, me, Bryan Harsin, Jimmy Rane, Bo Jackson, etc. 

I want CBH to succeed because that’s what best for Auburn. But you don’t have to be an idiot and say he should keep right on plugging with no changes. I take it you’re a stubborn guy IRL and appreciate stubbornness from a coach. But nobody in this business can afford to be stubborn. Saban proved this by completely overhauling his style of play. 

But you do you. Let’s keep alienating people and scaring off recruits/transfers and see if there will be enough wins to “laugh in their faces”.

I am not an idiot and don't really appreciate you calling me that. But if that is how you act when people don't agree with you then so be it. Oh now you have labeled me as stubborn also. I reckon that once again we don't agree so you have to resort back to name calling.  Way to go. 

I think any rational human being, after almost being fired after one year, would do at least something to increase the odds that he isn't fired after year two.

The 18 million dollar question is will it be enough, or is it too little too late? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It's really interesting to me. 

Pure conjecture here, but I don't think he minds working really hard to recruit good players. I feel like he had to have worked his ass off to get guys from very far away to come to Boise. The average distance of home towns from Boise on his roster there was mind-boggling. And I can't imagine what kind of research went into identifying prospects in random little towns in Wyoming and northern California and the panhandle of Texas. 

But it seems he wasn't ready for the human aspect of it, of connecting with people in the area and fostering those relationships. Suffice it to say, that part doesn't seem like his strong suit. And I get it. I wouldn't be able to do it, either.

But I fear that's the kind of thing that either a person has or they don't. And if we're having to build these relationships from scratch with a guy in charge for whom that doesn't come naturally... yeah... I dunno. We'll see. 

I can certainly agree with you on this. I just think we continue to hear what he can’t do. Seems to me that there is a fairly good group of players that chose to stay and they seem to really like him. I really hope that he can bring in some assistants that can really recruit. No doubt that we will know a lot more at the end of this year. I just believe that since he IS going to be our coach this year that we should get behind him as much as we can and not just continually see how negative we can be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

I am not an idiot and don't really appreciate you calling me that. But if that is how you act when people don't agree with you then so be it. Oh now you have labeled me as stubborn also. I reckon that once again we don't agree so you have to resort back to name calling.  Way to go. 

I apologize but you did say a bunch of B.S. about me “nagging”, being a “wet blanket”, told me to “suck it up”, said I post “negative garbage”. So you fired the first shot.

• Like 1

Bigger question ( and maybe more important) concerning future change should be directed toward the administration and our boosters. 

Harsin will have to adjust if he is in this for the long haul. He is not an idiot. Showing up in the student section on Saturdays game demonstrates he is aware and is trying to connect with the fanbase. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Why am I still here? Because I love Auburn and Auburn is much bigger than you, me, Bryan Harsin, Jimmy Rane, Bo Jackson, etc. 

I want CBH to succeed because that’s what best for Auburn. But you don’t have to be an idiot and say he should keep right on plugging with no changes. I take it you’re a stubborn guy IRL and appreciate stubbornness from a coach. But nobody in this business can afford to be stubborn. Saban proved this by completely overhauling his style of play. 

But you do you. Let’s keep alienating people and scaring off recruits/transfers and see if there will be enough wins to “laugh in their faces”.

Talk about stubborn! How about trying to find just one thing that you like about him and focus on that for a day or two. He’s going to be here for at least a year. Just try not to make yourself and everyone else miserable in the short term.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, provibe said:

I just believe that since he IS going to be our coach this year that we should get behind him as much as we can and not just continually see how negative we can be.

I think there's a lot of valid and healthy criticism that gets misidentified as something more just like it did with the last coach, but there is also plenty of exaggeration of how bad things are and there are some positives to discuss. 

I hope that he gives us reasons to keep cheering deep into the season this fall. I'd love to be wrong about him.

• Like 4

It's weird for me, because my biggest gripes with Gus (and to some degree Chizik as well) is that they leaned too heavily on recruiting and we had a major deficit with player development and on the field coaching. Harsin would seem to be an answer to that, but I just didn't see very many signs of it in our first year. We were no more physical than a typical Gus team, in fact we were less effective running the ball it seemed. We instituted a soft bend-don't-break defense which was effective at times, but I didn't get that grind-it-out sense you'd expect from a guy like Harsin. We also were awful on special teams, and that's a major red flag for me. That was not a huge problem with Malzahn, but in many respects this past years special teams play was as bad as I've seen in a long time. So I've yet to see this toughening up, it's really too early to say on development. On field coaching was at time promising, but at other times astonishingly terrible. 

So I'm not sure whether to take the exodus on the coaching staff as a plus or minus and what I'm left with is recruiting. One thing I DO know is that Harsin will not survive many years recruiting at the level he is. I don't think it's that he doesn't value recruiting or that he's lazy. I think he is trying to identify a certain kind of player and go after that, putting notably less priority on talent level or need. I WISH you could succeed at this level that way, but I strongly suspect we'll continue to rapidly fall behind if he doesn't change his approach. He needs a strong recruiter with an SEC background as his OC. He needs more coaches who can recruit and less Boise loyalists. If he can't build a competitive roster, he'll never get enough time to build this Boise culture. I'm all for a tough team, but you have to have players and he didn't walk into a loaded locker room. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So he'll continue to resist adaptation while the NIL changing the entire football landscape, will not make relationships will HS coaches, ignore anything happening outside the football complex wrt the players & their lives & then get fired in year 3 and going into '24 we'll have the most talent depleted Roster most here outside of @augolf1716have seen in our life times (I'm sure there was at least one time worse in our last 100+ years of football)

Hopefully will never get as bad as Earl Brown's 1950 team worst I've ever seen 0-10

Date Opponent Site Result Attendance Source
September 22 Wofford* L 14–19    
September 30 at Vanderbilt L 0–41 19,000  
October 7 Southeastern Louisiana* L 0–6    
October 14 at Florida L 7–27 30,000  
October 21 at Georgia Tech L 0–20 22,000  
October 28 Tulane
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama
L 0–28    
November 4 at Mississippi State L 0–27    
November 18 vs. Georgia L 10–12    
November 25 No. 11 Clemson*
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama (rivalry)
L 0–41    
December 2 vs. No. 17 Alabama L 0–34 39,000  
  • *Non-conference game
  • Rankings from AP Poll released prior to the game
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, provibe said:

Talk about stubborn! How about trying to find just one thing that you like about him and focus on that for a day or two. He’s going to be here for at least a year. Just try not to make yourself and everyone else miserable in the short term.

I like a lot about him. But what’s the deal with you guys? Are you mad that Auburn fans are aware of the disaster we are in? Should we just willfully pretend this stuff isn’t happening? Delusion isn’t required to be a good fan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Just curious?

Where have you heard he has been 'reluctantly' having to reach out to HSs more? And do we know he IS doing it?

Good question:

Podcasts that speak of or have recruiting segments.   Case in point:  in less than 48 hrs after winning the NC, Kirby Smart was in Phoenix City seeing those 3 D1 players that Pat Nix is coaching.  That is what a "recruiting priority" looks like.   Harsin has a reputation for spending a lot of time analyzing and choosing players to offer, then visiting and the process is dragged out a lot more slowly than the programs we are recruiting against.   

Hence, we are clearly communicating that we don't want them as badly as the coaches that saw them a month earlier or so forth....I know that may not be reality, but perception becomes reality in this cutthroat biz called recruiting.

I heard another anecdote where Harsin sent an assistant to a state level award ceremony, but Kirby was there in person and I thought they said Saban was there.  I could be wrong about Saban.   Those are high vis, 'free' recruiting moments.

Edited by Beaker

19 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Why should CBH adjust his approach to cultural changes?  I've seen many folks on here applaud him for his hard stance and they've praised him for changing the culture since he's been here because they claimed the previous staff coddled the roster and made them soft.  So I don't understand why folks now think he should change his approach?

Every professional should critically review their work and processes periodically, make necessary adjustments and refocus as necessary.   There is nothing written between the lines.  I am not trying to stir the pot, I promise. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

will he change? problem is, when the heat gets put on you like it currently is the most common reaction is to fall back to what use to work for you rather than adapt and try to find a young buck dynamic oc and dc

We see this playing out already with the promotion of various boise boys as he begins to fall back in to what he feels use to work for him -- will it work this time around? we shall see

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's really interesting to me. 

(edited)

But it seems he wasn't ready for the human aspect of it, of connecting with people in the area and fostering those relationships. Suffice it to say, that part doesn't seem like his strong suit. And I get it. I wouldn't be able to do it, either.

But I fear that's the kind of thing that either a person has or they don't. And if we're having to build these relationships from scratch with a guy in charge for whom that doesn't come naturally... yeah... I dunno. We'll see. 

Nailed it - it's called charisma, right?  

Bruce Pearl freaking mastered the transfer portal during year 1 because he has tons of energy and works that charisma selling his program.  I think that 'salesman's bravado' or charisma is holding Harsin back.   Not sure how he owns the room at a recruit's home or in a recruiting situation.  Maybe he is awesome.  I know this - you got sell your message and make it believable. This worries me the most about Harsin.   I don't see a lot of charisma or comraderie as the O and D go onto the field - I don't see Harsin singling out a lot players and coaching as they come off the field.  And that worries me. 

I looked at the head coaches last night in the SuperBowl and they have both showed a lot of charisma throughout the playoffs when the lights are brightest and they were engaged with players.  Like it or not, those are players 'of today'.  Kids are changing in the classroom and on the field.  It's an adapt or die biz.  Look at Mack Brown - he is not the same coach he was at Texas.  

Those are my concerns.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't like the way the first question was phrased. I agree with @Barnacle, there will be changes. But will they qualify as "growth"? I dunno.

Hard yes on 2. He's already started reaching out to high schools more, albeit extremely late and seemingly reluctantly. But still, progress is progress.

Hard no on 3. His cultural identity seems to be what gets him out of bed in the morning. 

Only answered yes to 3 because of the University investigation and what I assume may be some changes as a result,  it I obviously don’t know whether demands were made upon him, or even if that’s what the question is asking with regard to culture. Definitely don’t see his coaching philosophy changing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I like a lot about him. But what’s the deal with you guys? Are you mad that Auburn fans are aware of the disaster we are in? Should we just willfully pretend this stuff isn’t happening? Delusion isn’t required to be a good fan.

I can understand that to a degree, but why keep harping on it over and over when there is nothing you can do about it for at least a year. Maybe just try to be positive about some of the players we have. 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just chatter around the water cooler that I choose to believe. 

Although we did see a flurry of pics from different schools and training facilities right before NSD. So we do know that he's doing it, but no, I can't say that it's reluctant.

I can only point out that the began the process extremely late- as in a year late- and that suggests to me a reluctance that would be in keeping with everything else I've heard about that guy.

But no, I haven't heard anyone specifically say, "Harsin hates talking to high school coaches." 

No way to know what he is really doing. We hear one thing that gets repeated ad nauseum so people believe it as fact. Then it gets demonstrably controverted a week later. But at that point the game of telephone is complete and the false rumor is established as fact for many.

For instance:

Message boards were aflame claiming he missed 3 really important events that Kirby and Saban were at, yet it comes out later that there are pictures placing harsin at all three. Citing the warrapport who stated seeing the pictures.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Hopefully will never get as bad as Earl Brown's 1950 team worst I've ever seen 0-10

October 28 Tulane
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama
L 0–28    
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
L 0–41    
  • *Non-conference game

WOW!!!  That’s a special kind of awful right there!!!   Got shutout in 7 of 10 games, a grand total of 4 TDs on the season!!  
Shug came along the very next year!   Maybe our next coach will also become a legend!!!🤞

Edited by AUinMS9528
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

October 28 Tulane
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
  • Auburn, Alabama
L 0–28    
  • Cliff Hare Stadium
L 0–41    
  • *Non-conference game

At least the mid 50s happened a few short years later around your 40th bday

1 hour ago, Didba said:

No way to know what he is really doing. We hear one thing that gets repeated ad nauseum so people believe it as fact. Then it gets demonstrably controverted a week later. But at that point the game of telephone is complete and the false rumor is established as fact for many.

For instance:

Message boards were aflame claiming he missed 3 really important events that Kirby and Saban were at, yet it comes out later that there are pictures placing harsin at all three. Citing the warrapport who stated seeing the pictures.

Except the results back up the intel.

And we have actual, published quotes from Phenix City.

That's one way of knowing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Just curious?

Where have you heard he has been 'reluctantly' having to reach out to HSs more? And do we know he IS doing it?

It is not true

• Thanks 1