Kodi Burns to NO Saints

Auctoritas

A good lesson to be had here. Maybe we should give some longer leashes to these coaches CBH has brought in and give them a chance to show what they can do. Wishful thinking and naïveté on my part for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kodi Burns did not start his coaching career at Auburn BTW. He also had two years of position coaching at Samford and MTSU before getting to Auburn. 

Yes, he did spend a season at Samford coaching running backs and a season at MTSU coaching receivers.  He has clearly worked very hard to become the coach he is today.  As a player he exemplified what it is to put the team before the player and will be loved at Auburn because of that and his performance in the NC game.  Wish him nothing but the best and hope he becomes a head coach soon. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, casatiger said:

What I remember people saying most was that Auburn should not be a place where you learn the ropes.  You should learn that somewhere else and then hone your craft at Auburn.  Basically Kodi was doing his OJT at an SEC school which is a little unusual I believe.  Now he worked hard and got better at both coaching and recruiting while at Auburn.  There were certainly mistakes along the way however.   A valid question does remain though:  should Auburn be a place where a former player (I believe this is the only scenario that will exist) comes in as a position coach without putting in the work either at another school or as an analyst?  

I would think the transition is a little easier coaching for the school u went to and some familiarity with the area.  Also playing for ur boss can’t hurt as well. Even though technically it wasn’t his first gig. He had a lot in his favor .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

fwiw auburn has never, ever in my memory been known for wicked passing attacks as far back as three or four decades now -- we were close to be running back u at times and I liked it that way.

Look at the last 8 or 9 national champions. We need to throw the ball better. A hell of a lot better.

• Like 4

Another thing I’m starting to learn is that a majority of this board don’t know what a good or bad WR coach looks like. Let a WR drop one pass now all of a sudden the WR coach doesn’t know what he’s doing and should be fired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Look at the last 8 or 9 national champions. We need to throw the ball better. A hell of a lot better.

Outside of 2019 lsu and Mac Jones most are pretty balanced between, running, dual threat qb and pretty good passing attack. We definitely could be better at passing. I'm still frustrated that we didn't get justyn Ross or George Pickens at wr

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Outside of 2019 lsu and Mac Jones most are pretty balanced between, running, dual threat qb and pretty good passing attack. We definitely could be better at passing. 

2013- Jameis Winston throws for 4057 yards. 2 receivers have over 1,000 yards. Defeated one of Auburn's best offenses in school history in the championship game.

2014- JT Barrett has 2834 yards before getting hurt. Cardale Jones adds 860. Their top 2 receiver have 931 and 799 yards respectively.

2015- Jake Coker throws for 3110 yards and Calvin Ridley catches 1045 of them.

2016- Deshaun Watson throws for 4593 yards and Mike Williams catches 1361 of them.

2017- Jalen Hurts throws for fewer than 3000 yards. That team was definitely all about the run.

2018- Trevor Lawrence throws for 3280 yards and Justyn Ross catches 1000 even.

2019- Joe Burrow throws for over 5600 yards and has 2 receivers over 1500.

2020- COVID year. Mac Jones still throws for 4500, Devonta Smith still catches 1865, and John Metchie catches 916.

2021- Stetson Bennett only throws for 2862, but JT Daniels chips in over 700. It should be pointed out that George Pickens was out most of the season. 

Now, those are just the teams that won the last game each season. Add in their opponents each season and the point becomes even clearer. 

Auburn only surpassed 3000 yards once in that same span, and didn't really even approach it otherwise. That season was 2017, which was by far our best offense since the Nick Marshall years. 

We need to be throwing for 3000 yards and having 1000 yard receivers if we hope to win anything meaningful and with any consistency. We need a real passing attack. @GwillMac6 is 100% correct. He's also correct for other reasons, such as attracting the recruits that have been busy winning championships for those other schools. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Another thing I’m starting to learn is that a majority of this board don’t know what a good or bad WR coach looks like. Let a WR drop one pass now all of a sudden the WR coach doesn’t know what he’s doing and should be fired.

I resent that.  I have 2 1/2 years of coaching 10U flag football.   It would have been 3 years but I fired my WR coach mid-game.   They did not think it was a good reflection on sportsmanship.  Whatever!  I'm over it.  

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

fwiw auburn has never, ever in my memory been known for wicked passing attacks as far back as three or four decades now -- we were close to be running back u at times and I liked it that way.

No, we haven't. Nearly all receiving and QB stats are horrendous 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

2013- Jameis Winston throws for 4057 yards.  Defeated one of Auburn's best offenses in school history in the championship game. 

In my view we defeated that team but some how lost. Cody Parkey missed fg, Ricardo Louis drops a sure fire TD, tre Mason should of gone down on the 1 yard line ughhh I digress 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

In my view we defeated that team but some how lost. Cody Parkey missed fg, Ricardo Louis drops a sure fire TD, tre Mason should of gone down on the 1 yard line ughhh I digress 

Yeah, terrible luck in that one. One of the three or four most painful losses for any team I've ever been a fan of. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, terrible luck in that one. One of the three or four most painful losses for any team I've ever been a fan of. 

Agreed. I was at that game and it was a magical atmosphere, I will say I was extremely proud of how we played -- we had that team by the balls and I don't know that many folks really gave us much of a shot to compete w what was a ridiculously loaded fsu team. Tough one nonetheless.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Johnathon Jones should’ve made the tackle on kickoff but got injured and we allow a KO return for TD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Agreed. I was at that game and it was a magical atmosphere, I will say I was extremely proud of how we played -- we had that team by the balls and I don't know that many folks really gave us much of a shot to compete w what was a ridiculously loaded fsu team. Tough one nonetheless.

FSU fake punt was the one that bothered me the most. Was an obvious situation and we should have been ready for it. Wish Marshall would have made a better throw on that Ricardo drop you mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Johnathon Jones should’ve made the tackle on kickoff but got injured and we allow a KO return for TD

That play right there was the turning point a freak play. 

I know I am giving myself a pat on the back here, but I wanted to show that I have been a bug Burns supporter even when others weren't.  Go get em' Kodi!

On 11/30/2017 at 7:24 AM, abw0004 said:

One thing many have not keyed in on is Kodi's ability to recruit.  This year we have been snagging highly recruited 4*'s.  Like T-Will, the guy loves Auburn being a former player so recruits believe what he says about the university.  Kudos Mr. Burns.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:14 AM, abw0004 said:

Even if they aren't the big flashy names, they have all surprised us in their abilities.  Steele has been phenomenal, and many did not want him to come here.  This was Travis Williams' first full time coaching gig, and he is one of the best linebacker coaches ever to come through Auburn.  Many have given Kodi Burns grief, but this year he really has turned our receivers around and has recruited very well at a position that historically we have never really done well at (last 10 years at least).

On 12/10/2018 at 7:22 AM, abw0004 said:

I also like the fact that we retained Kodi Burns.  I do like the work Kodi has done in developing his wide receivers and the guy can also recruit.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, abw0004 said:

It is a risk for sure, but the reward could be much higher.  Three of the four are very young and are really good recruiters because they can relate to the recruits.  I personally think Caddy is a fantastic hire who will thrive as an RB coach.  Dilly I am not sure about yet as I just don't know enough about him.  Burns, I actually do like the job he has done here.  He can recruit and I personally think he has developed our guys better than CDC.  Grimes, I am a little disappointing with this year to be honest.

• Like 1

Y'all don't make me post the clip of the missed block on the last play of the game again. I'm telling you. That play had a real chance. But our guys looked at a Florida State player right in front of them and just straight up let him trot by and blow it all up. It would have replaced the Kick Six as the greatest play in CFB history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Y'all don't make me post the clip of the missed block on the last play of the game again. I'm telling you. That play had a real chance. But our guys looked at a Florida State player right in front of them and just straight up let him trot by and blow it all up. It would have replaced the Kick Six as the greatest play in CFB history. 

man, that last play is never talked about but I remember it having like, a real shot at almost succeeding there which would have been unbelievable

• Like 1

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

2013- Jameis Winston throws for 4057 yards. 2 receivers have over 1,000 yards. Defeated one of Auburn's best offenses in school history in the championship game.

2014- JT Barrett has 2834 yards before getting hurt. Cardale Jones adds 860. Their top 2 receiver have 931 and 799 yards respectively.

2015- Jake Coker throws for 3110 yards and Calvin Ridley catches 1045 of them.

2016- Deshaun Watson throws for 4593 yards and Mike Williams catches 1361 of them.

2017- Jalen Hurts throws for fewer than 3000 yards. That team was definitely all about the run.

2018- Trevor Lawrence throws for 3280 yards and Justyn Ross catches 1000 even.

2019- Joe Burrow throws for over 5600 yards and has 2 receivers over 1500.

2020- COVID year. Mac Jones still throws for 4500, Devonta Smith still catches 1865, and John Metchie catches 916.

2021- Stetson Bennett only throws for 2862, but JT Daniels chips in over 700. It should be pointed out that George Pickens was out most of the season. 

Now, those are just the teams that won the last game each season. Add in their opponents each season and the point becomes even clearer. 

Auburn only surpassed 3000 yards once in that same span, and didn't really even approach it otherwise. That season was 2017, which was by far our best offense since the Nick Marshall years. 

We need to be throwing for 3000 yards and having 1000 yard receivers if we hope to win anything meaningful and with any consistency. We need a real passing attack. @GwillMac6 is 100% correct. He's also correct for other reasons, such as attracting the recruits that have been busy winning championships for those other schools. 

I too think a good offense helps a team win consistently.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I too think a good offense helps a team win consistently.

If you're agreeing with GWill and me that in order to have a championship offense, we will need a more high-powered passing offense than Auburn has had at almost any point in school history, then cool.

Edited by McLoofus

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Love 1