AuFamily Attendance Project

AUght2win

Hear me out. Could be an interesting thing for a dead time.

Something occurred to me recently about our board. We have a lot of old wisemen/farts on this board (no offense @augolf1716). Lot of API guys saw games in person way back. I think I saw that some even attended games during the 1957 title run. 

It made me wonder two things. The first is: what game is the farthest back anyone on our board can claim to have seen in person?

The second, and maybe most interesting thing to me, is I wonder how long of an attendance streak the board has as a whole. 

I’m betting we can verify at least one poster on our board to have attended every single football game Auburn has played for the last 50 years. Maybe more.

Maybe we could start with figuring out the oldest game and work up from there. Wish I could start us off but my first games were as a kid in the 90s.

If you got proof you were at the game that’s a bonus but not required. Would be cool to see stuff from way back.

CURRENT OLDEST GAME VERIFIED (update 2/27): Auburn vs. Kentucky, Legion Field, 1958 (augolf1716).

VERIFIED BOARD ATTENDANCE STREAK (update 2/26): __ games.

Currently Seeking Member Attendance Verification for: 2021 Season.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

First game vs uat legion field 72 😀

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Maybe someone can help me out, memory is fading. I went to a game in which Freddie Hyatt was playing. I knew him as we were both from Sylacauga. Must have been late 60’s or early 70’s. Also went to bowl game in Jacksonville (I think) when Auburn played Texas

5 minutes ago, provibe said:

Maybe someone can help me out, memory is fading. I went to a game in which Freddie Hyatt was playing. I knew him as we were both from Sylacauga. Must have been late 60’s or early 70’s. Also went to bowl game in Jacksonville (I think) when Auburn played Texas

Looks like the 74 Gator Bowl!

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Looks like the 74 Gator Bowl!

Just googled Freddie. He was drafted in 68, so I must have watched him at Auburn in late 60’s or mid 60’s

Edited by provibe
  • Like 1

69 iron Bowl Legion Field. Connie Fredrick runs a fake punt from Auburn's 1yard line in for their final TD. Beautiful!

• Like 3

I was at the Auburn vs TN game at Legion Field on Sept 30, 1967.  I attended the Wake Forest game in 1966 but I really don't have a vivid memory of the game.  The '68 TN game I remember well.  We lost...we rode the stadium bus from the old Tutwiller Hotel to the game and back.   The TN fans ln the bus after the game were absoluate drunken a**holes.  I was a little kid and had never seen anything like that.  The best part was the 1968 game, also in Bham.  We beat a very highly rated TN team that day....it was awesome.  

• Like 1

My first memory of a game was against Georgia Tech in '76. The first vivid memory of a game was the '78 Georgia game when Auburn wore orange jerseys. That game was electric and anytime the alternate uniform discussion comes up I think about that game. The lift that it gave our players and the crowd that day kept us in that game. You can hate the idea of orange jerseys but you can't deny the emotional edge that it triggered. 

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

I was at the Auburn vs TN game at Legion Field on Sept 30, 1967.  I attended the Wake Forest game in 1966 but I really don't have a vivid memory of the game.  The '68 TN game I remember well.  We lost...we rode the stadium bus from the old Tutwiller Hotel to the game and back.   The TN fans ln the bus after the game were absoluate drunken a**holes.  I was a little kid and had never seen anything like that.  The best part was the 1968 game, also in Bham.  We beat a very highly rated TN team that day....it was awesome.  

Great stuff!! May start an excel sheet to track all this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we're trying to account for every game, I'll throw in our '86 opener against UT-Chattanooga. First game in the post-Bo Jackson era...definitely not a full house.

Got 11 of our 12 games in 1990 covered for attendance purposes...didn't go to our game at Mississippi State.

• Like 1

My first AU game in person was the January 1st, 1964 Orange Bowl, AU lost to Nebraska 13-7. I had some premium seats, then former vice president Richard Nixon was in the same row, a few seats down.

Hanging with the AU players in the hotel the days before the game was an experience. Later, Jerry Popwell, AU's center, became a good friend and he had some interesting ideas about why Auburn lost that game.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My first AU game in person was the January 1st, 1964 Orange Bowl, AU lost to Nebraska 13-7. I had some premium seats, then former vice president Richard Nixon was in the same row, a few seats down.

Hanging with the AU players in the hotel the days before the game was an experience. Later, Jerry Popwell, AU's center, became a good friend and he had some interesting ideas about why Auburn lost that game.

What’d he blame it on?

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

What’d he blame it on?

Practicing too hard. He said all season they just screwed around in practice and finished 9-1. Then Coach Jordan went all POW camp in the days leading up to the Orange Bowl. Next, they were turned loose New Year's Eve and all got drunk and raised hell until the wee hours. He said they didn't sober up until the second half, which AU won 7-0.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1973 or 75 AUBURN at Tennessee.

When will dad and his friend.  Got my ticket last minute not near them. So i stood at the top of stadium the whole game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUHAT said:

1973 or 75 AUBURN at Tennessee.

When will dad and his friend.  Got my ticket last minute not near them. So i stood at the top of stadium the whole game.

Do you remember any details about the game? Could help figure out which year.

1962 Auburn vs Georgia at Auburn. Lost 21-30. I remember a sophomore Ivan Charles (Tucker) Fredrickson played safety and full back. He muffed a punt deep in Auburn territory and Georgia got a score out of it. Georgia burned Auburn for a long td pass and it was all over. I was fit to be tied. 

• Like 3