Harsin's latest presser

homersapien

6 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Some did such as the loss of 3 coordinators, multiple big name transfers, etc. 

I don't see it that way.

The coordinators were highly suggested to him. Their removal will be a benefit. Also, the Davis situation wasn't on Harsin.

As far as the transfers, not a single one was irreplaceable.  I'll put it this way, Wooden and Hall returning says a hell of a lot more than Dre Butler or Marquis Robinson transferring.

6 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Harsin doesn't survive a repeat of 2021. 

There are too many factors to determine that. 

What if he has the same record and a top 8 class coming in?

What if he has the same record and each loss is a hard fought close game?

What if he has the same record and has a rash of injuries to the starters?

Etc.

IMO, What he needs to do is show progress and improvement across the program.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There are too many factors to determine that. 

What if he has the same record and a top 8 class coming in?

What if he has the same record and each loss is a hard fought close game?

What if he has the same record and has a rash of injuries to the starters?

Etc.

IMO, What he needs to do is show progress and improvement across the program.

Agreed, but if it really is "a repeat of 2021", then that would include subpar recruiting and unusually high staff turnover that doesn't involve coaches making vertical career moves. If all that off-field stuff happens again, then I don't see how fans (or PTB) should be expected to stay patient. 

• Like 4

This recruiting cycle should be much better then the last two. From what I am hearing from recruiting focused media guys with boots on the ground in the football complex, covid really hampered the staff's ability tor recruit last year and the staff was being very selective on who they offered last year.

Both have changed immensely this go around according to the media guys. Post covid atmosphere allowing for on campus visits has been a game changer and the staff is offering scholarships at a much higher rate then before.

Staff definitely saw what wasn't working and has reacted accordingly. Further, JLee has been acting blown away by the amount of 4 and 5 star talent that has been on campus in consecutive weekends over the last two months. I didn't follow too closely under Gus but his reactions seem to imply that we are getting more talent on campus then ever before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point - )

This gives me an idea... What do y'all think of holding AUFamily Forums awards at the end of the season.  Best Mod, Best Thread, Best Poster, Worst Poster, Worst Thread, Best Hot Take, Worst Hot Take, Best Prediction of W/L, Best Prediction of Recruiting, etc.  We already have a built in system with the likes to track some of this stuff.

Also, give me a break I am bored at work procrastinating reading live pleadings and working on a practice bar essay.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

#bandname, @Tiger Refuge?

Ramp Pedestrians has been bouncing around in my head for a while...

Live Pleadings is good, I know a band comprised of attorneys in Houston called Pro Hac Vice which is just great.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Didba said:

While I agree with you that he would seriously be on the hot seat at that point, I just think firing him after year two, barring a complete collapse on the field, would cause serious harm to the overall structure of the program.  Just like keeping a Coach for three years too long can harm the program's structure so can firing a coach too quickly.  

I worry that we wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement and that the recruiting would be an absolute disaster.

Gus was kept too long, on the merit of 1 great but very lucky season. Harsin deserves at least three years if not four to see whether or not his vision can work at a high expectation SEC school. AU embarrassed themselves as usual with the off season crap. If you can’t take being yelled at and told what to do, for your own good, then stay away. That is exactly the reason why I think our last few teams under GM faltered. True, players loved him, but that’s because he really never held them accountable for poor play or missed assignments. Top coaches DO that. To me, if Harsin gets kids to buy into what his vision is and the ones that are truly on track to play at the next level, buy in, then that is worth a few years winning less. I mean we should have possibly won at least 8 last year and after the transfers, it showed who didn’t buy in/ or in my opinion was lazy, so that’s why a number of them followed GM to UCF. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Didba said:

This gives me an idea... What do y'all think of holding AUFamily Forums awards at the end of the season.  Best Mod, Best Thread, Best Poster, Worst Poster, Worst Thread, Best Hot Take, Worst Hot Take, Best Prediction of W/L, Best Prediction of Recruiting, etc.  We already have a built in system with the likes to track some of this stuff.

Also, give me a break I am bored at work procrastinating reading live pleadings and working on a practice bar essay.

There are no good mods

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There are no good mods

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? c'mon.....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

People always complain about it.  They did after we fired most of our last coaches.  We pay well, we're a big program.  We can make a good hire.  

Harsin was a good hire IMHO.

It's certainly too early to know he wasn't.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Harsin was a good hire IMHO.

It's certainly too early to know he wasn't.

It's equally too early to know he was a good hire

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yep, but not too early to have a personal opinion on it.

See my OP.  I think the football program has got it going.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Agree

You know, as much damn arguing and posturing and yelling as folks have done here, it all boils down to these two statements. 

Literally no one knows what to expect.

And that's what's so fantastic about the next season.

No. 

One.

Knows.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

It is however, been long enough to see him implement positive changes that have us heading in the right direction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yep, but not too early to have a personal opinion on it.

See my OP.  I think the football program has got it going.

On what do you base that opinion? I see cosmetic changes and talk about culture, but talk is cheap.

I also see recruiting that will not keep us competitive with our rivals. (9th in the SEC) I see an imbalance in the transfer portal that cannot be sustained without calling students from the stands to suit up if injuries mount. (20 gone, five brought in) I see a five game losing streak to end last season. (lose the first five and then turn things around and one could find something to be optimistic about. Losing the last five after a good start should give every AU fan cause for concern.)

Look: I hope the guy turns out to be a home run hire and leads Auburn to many championship seasons. That's what I hope. To date, things that can be measured indicate otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

It is however, been long enough to see him implement positive changes that have us heading in the right direction.

Just curious.....what do you think are some significant changes that have us headed in the right direction.

42 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Just curious.....what do you think are some significant changes that have us headed in the right direction.

There have been tons of changes in recruiting strategy and his interaction with current players. It's been talked about pretty heavily by media guys and it's been mentioned on this site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Established a recruiting department, changed the mindset, reinstated accountability, removed distractions, I could think of more if I tried, but the game is about to come on.

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Established a recruiting department, changed the mindset, reinstated accountability, removed distractions, I could think of more if I tried, but the game is about to come on.

But seemingly a negative is his not developing good relations with high school coaches, a big deal in recruiting. In any event the bottomline will be his record. I hope it's good.

9 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But seemingly a negative is his not developing good relations with high school coaches, a big deal in recruiting. In any event the bottomline will be his record. I hope it's good.

And yet, he learned and has changed. Another great example, thanks 

• Like 3
  • Love 1