Bryan Harsin embraces NIL opportunities

aubiefifty

NIL is used and organized by the athletic department through channels.  Rich slow balled Auburn in getting organized do to the NCAA investigation and didn't want to cause any unnecessary problems with finalizing the investigation..  he was never against it, he had concerns on how it would affect coaching and developing players, just like most coaches have publicly stated.  People twisted those words to fit their narrative 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/30/2022 at 6:54 PM, abw0004 said:

So these comments were at the AMBUSH event I made a post about last Tuesday.  I was there and had a chance to meet him and Pearl.  For those who do not have access to the Eagles Nest, I have also helped clients of mine work with Auburn’s NIL, along with UGA, Ole Miss, and Georgia Southern (if you want to call it that) so far.

Two things: Harsin was very well spoken and I was impressed with him.  He seems very different than last year.  Less arrogant in my opinion and a great step forward.  I saw this at his A-Day interview as well so that makes me happy.

Second, Harsin says he is onboard with the NIL, but that is not my impression when I tried to work with the department.  Sponsors needed direction from him on which players need help and didn’t get help from Harsin.  Now, is this his job?  I am not sure.  This is still all so new.  But I know Lane Kiffen was extremely helpful as was Smart (I hate that I have to say that).  Words and actions are different.

With Harsin being so much by the book he knows he can not set up deals with players and sponsors. I think this is where NILAuburn needs to step up more.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Dude is just NOT going to make it. He’s not the culture fit for AU, and it makes you seriously question what the heck the AD was thinking.

This isn’t some conspiracy. Folks will see it soon enough.

I dont see this at all.  If given the resources Harsin will suceed.  Gus left the team in a bad spot and Harsin is rebuilding it.  But the "fans" want a quick turn around and that wont happen, it will take more than a year or 2.  I believe there will be a lot of improvement this year and the recruiting seems to be going better as well.  But im sure our money men will mess it up at the end of the year again.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:01 PM, PoetTiger said:

I would love for someone to explain “culture fit” 

He is from Boise and not from the south so some people automatically dislike him.  Also he is tough on players and make them work

NIL in the legal sense is new for all parties involved, NIL in the illegal sense has been easy for some schools because they already had a foundation of paying kids in the first place. Not sure where Auburn falls but it comes as no surprise that schools like UGA, UA, TAMU, and a few others have found an easier transition to “legal” NIL.

Yes but UGA is doing a better job than Auburn is, I have lucked into one ad with an Auburn player (Papoe & UA) but driving through ATL on Saturday I saw a few billboards with uga players advertising different items.  Heck there wasnt even anything near Auburn with players on it.

Edited by AubieinNC2009

17 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

With Harsin being so much by the book he knows he can not set up deals with players and sponsors. I think this is where NILAuburn needs to step up more.

I don't know, with Harsin being on the hot seat as much as he is, if I were him I would be using everything available to me to made positive momentum.  Ignoring the department for so long wasn't the best choice.  Harsin is saying all of the right things now, but I sure hope it isn't too late.  We needed this from him back when we were trying to land all of those transfer players in December-February.  Now with our roster all but set for the 2022 season, we need to focus on the 2023 recruiting class and really do well.  We seem to be making strides there, which is great news.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Dude is just NOT going to make it. He’s not the culture fit for AU, and it makes you seriously question what the heck the AD was thinking.

Can’t recruit. Seriously devoid of talent. Falling further behind. He’s on the clock. There’s ZERO support because there’s ZERO excitement about this program. We are having trouble filling the coffers now in football! In FOOTBALL!  I don’t know what people are seeing…maybe it’s blind optimism but geez. 

anyway, rant over. 

We're seeing posts where recruiting is on a serious up swing.  Daily posts from todd points to a ton of interest in AU and the coaches have been on a tour visiting all over to bring in talent.  We are seeing nothing but positive news on the recruiting board, all positive. 

We're seeing Rednilla put up a threads where his insider told him NIL has $7.5M to for the '22 contracts and $11M lined up for next year.  

When a Mod gives us info from his source who works on the football staff painting a very positive picture of the coaching staff, NIL, and the football program what else are we to believe?   :gofig:

Edited by JerryAU

has yellow fellow jumped in to support NIL money wise or does he give enough to the uni anyway?

I’m just amazed at how many people (posters) have gotten this NIL thing figured out and what needs to be done. I honestly don’t have a clue. It’s new, and the Auburn athletic department is known to be more diligent around compliance vs the other schools, so it’s no surprise to me it’s been a bit slow out of the gate. Auburn was going to check all boxes, dot all i’s, and cross all T’s before an aggressive move was made into this space. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

has yellow fellow jumped in to support NIL money wise or does he give enough to the uni anyway?

Did the state change the law yet so boosters can be apart of NIL. I know Saban wants it changed so it is only a matter of when not if.

19 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Did the state change the law yet so boosters can be apart of NIL. I know Saban wants it changed so it is only a matter of when not if.

i did not know they could not.........

1 hour ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

When did Alabama State law prevent boosters from funding NIL?

And who else is willing to pony up the millions it's going to take to fund an NIL collective if not the boosters and the regular financial supporters of the school?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

RunInRed listed the main donors for AU NIL in another thread, Nevilles, Harbert's, Pearson's, Davises, Broadways, Woltosz.   He also said less than 20 donors are funding AU NIL. 

1 hour ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Yes, the entire law was repealed in February.  

22 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

When did Alabama State law prevent boosters from funding NIL?

it wasn't boosters.  I think it restricted ppl on the board, so our richest Donor yella man couldn't give any money.  Or something like that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I disagree. NIL hurt us last sig inf class and the past two portal classes.

Internet rumors started by a wide variety sources was blip on the radar for a week

Yes, NIL hurt us last cycle, no question about it. We were late to the party while TAMU was ready to go.  On the other issue, I'm not referring to average internet rumors. I'm referring to the more digusting rumor that came from within, as verified in the Nest. Rather than being a blip, that rumor caused lasting damage, the least of which is in trust because of where it came from. I'm sure Harsin knows exactly who did it too and hopefully he has been dealt with. That smear merchant should have a defamation suit dropped on him. In the old days he would have received a good ass kicking as a starter

Glad he uh warmed up to NIL. I thought it was a silly rumor when folks said Harsin was not on board with NIL as a 100% legalized and profoundly revolutionary change in college recruiting and player retention - no way a top tier program coach would be that naive and lacking in foresight. Nobody's a bigger Harsin fan than me but I still have trouble believing it.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Glad he uh warmed up to NIL. I thought it was a silly rumor when folks said Harsin was not on board with NIL as a 100% legalized and profoundly revolutionary change in college recruiting and player retention - no way a top tier program coach would be that naive and lacking in foresight. Nobody's a bigger Harsin fan than me but I still have trouble believing it.

True I dont think Harsin wants kids coming here only for the $$$ or you would have a Jordan Addison or the U bball player situation going on, where they hold out for more $$$.  

I would love to see some more and bigger NIL deals for Auburn players.  We should have Tank doing commercials on TigerTalk, and the Auburn sports network.  I would also like to see some performance bonuses in the NILs.  Win the SEC POY extra $100,000, win the Heisman extra $500,000

13 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Gus left the team in a bad spot and Harsin is rebuilding it.

If so, Harsin is going about rebuilding in a strange way. He inherited a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly coached them down to a losing season. The new coach at Tennessee inherited a mess, but he took them from 3-7 the prior year to 7-6 in his first year. The new coach at South Carolina inherited a bigger mess but he took them from 2-8 to 7-6 in his first year. Harsin is the only new SEC coach in 2021 who did worse than the guy he took over for. How long do we have to watch those other schools get better while AU gets worse?

12 hours ago, JerryAU said:

We're seeing posts where recruiting is on a serious up swing.  Daily posts from todd points to a ton of interest in AU and the coaches have been on a tour visiting all over to bring in talent.  We are seeing nothing but positive news on the recruiting board, all positive. 

The gossip is all positive. On the other hand, the commitments aren't exactly rolling in. All this work that is now being talked up should have been started 16 months ago. I'll agree that the ground work that's being done now, even if it's tardy is a good thing, but some results would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Can’t recruit. Seriously devoid of talent. Falling further behind. He’s on the clock. There’s ZERO support because there’s ZERO excitement about this program. We are having trouble filling the coffers now in football! In FOOTBALL!  I don’t know what people are seeing…maybe it’s blind optimism but geez. 

anyway, rant over. 

Could someone (who we could realistically get) come in here and do well with the NIL, though?

@AubieinNC2009: Depends on your definition of "a quick turnaround." Going to the NC? Completely agreed. Being able to win 9 games? I hate to keep beating this horse dead but Ark-Mart's turnaround the last few years shows it's entirely doable.

@JerryAU: Can you link me to this thread? I hope it's comparable to other big schools.

Edited by AUwent