Buffalo Shooter's Diary

DKW 86

'Let me remind everyone here that we should NEVER accept wild-assed ramblings and speculation as anything more than clickbait.

Yall need to read this clown's diary. I got an AP Story yesterday that outlined his beliefs in his own words. He disliked Carlson, thought he was a Leftist and cited 4 reddits and subreddits that he BLAMED on his radiclaization.

Online diary: Buffalo gunman plotted attack for months | AP News

This is not the one I read but is close.

Buffalo suspect appeared to be making online to-do list related to the shooting (nbcnews.com)

Closer still. The guys reddit and subreddit reading HE BLAMES for his views. I year into the planning he wonders what he would be if it werent for his attraction to reddits and subreddits. 

Think this is it:

Buffalo Shooter’s Personal Diary Is Pretty Clear About His Sources Of Inspiration | The Daily Caller

• Buffalo shooter Payton Gendron said his beliefs were inspired by websites Reddit and 4chan, which he began using during COVID-19, and listed his favorite subreddits in his personal diary.
  • Media outlets blamed Tucker Carlson and Republicans for inspiring the shooter, but he condemned Republicans in his diary, never mentioned Carlson and expressed that he was politically left-leaning.
  • “I almost spent a year planning this attack … Oh how time flies, if I could go back maybe I’d tell myself to get the **** off 4chan,” he wrote in one diary entry. 
Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

The 18-year-old who was charged in the Saturday shooting deaths of ten people in a Buffalo, New York, supermarket revealed in his diary that his radical beliefs originally developed in communities on 4chan and Reddit.

Before the shooting, which occurred in a predominately black neighborhood, Payton Gendron published a 106-page manifesto online describing himself as a “white supremacist” and “anti-Semite.” Gendron said explicitly in his diary that he developed his beliefs from 4chan and Reddit after the start of the pandemic.

“My current beliefs started when I first started to use 4chan a few months after covid started. Many of which I got from 4chan’s /pol/ page and links found in /nsg/ and threads like that,” he wrote in a diary entry labeled Jan. 30, referring to 4chan discussion forums.

Gendron also credited Reddit with forming his beliefs and listed several Reddit forums in which he frequently posted. (RELATED: FLASHBACK: Times The Media And Democrats Openly Cheered ‘Replacement Theory,’ Which They Now Call Racist

“Of course, many of my beliefs come from reddit too. Many subreddits I joined have been banned but they show up on r/AgainstHateSubreddits all the time,” he wrote Jan. 30. “One’s that are still around include r/greentext, r/4chan, r/PoliticalCompassMemes, r/SocialJusticeInAction, r/LoveForLandlords, and r/AntiHateCommunites, of which I am actually in their discord.”

Numerous media organizations attempted to link Gendron with the Republican Party and prominent conservatives like Tucker Carlson for inspiring Gendron while largely overlooking the shooter’s own words, in which he blamed online forums including Reddit and 4chan while condemning the Republican Party.

NBC News’ Ben Collins said Carlson is someone “directly trying to preach” to extremists like the Buffalo shooter, while a Rolling Stone commentary piece said the shooter was a “mainstream Republican,” and a Washington Post piece linked his ideology to Carlson and two other Republicans. A New York Times article also blamed Carlson for promoting “replacement theory,” the idea that elites are replacing white Americans with immigrants to gain political power, which was referenced by Gendron in his diary.

Some of these commentators speak frequently about online disinformation and the importance of stopping the spread of conspiracy theories. Collins writes about misinformation and extremism for NBC News and frequently expresses concern about the potential real-life consequences of online misinformation, tending to apply the “disinformation” and “conspiracy” labels to groups and arguments on the right side of the aisle.

“It makes no sense how democrats and republicans see themselves so differently from each other yet they have 95% of the same views,” Gendron wrote Feb. 19. “Ascend into eco fascism my brothers.”

“Same things applies with democrats vs republicans. Both are controlled by Jews,” he wrote March 7.

Gendron shared what appear to be the results of a quiz which showed his political views to be far-left and slightly authoritarian.

“I don’t think this is that inaccurate to my political beliefs. I tend to have quite a mix between conservative and progressive values though,” he wrote.

“I tend to be progressive when it comes to development of science but conservative when it comes to culture,” he wrote in another post.

Gendron said he had used a Reddit page about mass killers to plan out his attack in a March 31 post.

“Look at what people did before tou, [sic] I’m trying to find info on other mass shooters and see what they did and what to improve on. r/masskillers is very helpful,” he wrote. “Imagine if I went in on March 15 not knowing my gun wasn’t properly lubed and I had a failure to feed on every shot I took, that would be quite embarrassing.”

At one point Gendron speculated that he could have gotten off 4chan and had a normal life.

“I almost spent a year planning this attack,” he wrote April 26. “Oh how time flies, if I could go back maybe I’d tell myself to get the **** off 4chan and worldtruthvideos and get an actual life. Too late for that now.”

A moderator for r/SocialJusticeJusticeInAction told The Daily Caller News Foundation he was unaware of the subreddit being mentioned in the shooter’s diary prior to the inquiry and said the subreddit does not tolerate racism or bigotry.

Reddit, 4chan and the moderators of the subreddits r/AgainstHateSubreddits, r/greentext, r/4chan, r/PoliticalCompassMemes, r/LoveForLandlords and r/masskillers did not respond to TheDCNF’s requests for comment.

I don't really care who this guy says he is.  He is crazy.  I only care about how he was motivated and emboldened.  There is a reason why the hate groups seem to rally around the Republican party.  They are being fed.  You cannot deny the rhetoric is there without lying.

• Like 1

I just know that a lot of folks here want to do the easy blame game. 

The Republicans SEEM to be ridding themselves of Cawthorn, MTG, and others but they have many others to worry with.

34 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I just know that a lot of folks here want to do the easy blame game. 

The Republicans SEEM to be ridding themselves of Cawthorn, MTG, and others but they have many others to worry with.

I agree but,,, this problem is in no way new.  I will not excuse the fact that Republicans have tacitly supported this nonsense and, fought to protect the rights of the purely hateful.  Remember, they got rid of Steve King before. 

There are legitimate and, illegitimate reasons for blame.  We cannot simply write off the legitimate under the heading of "woke".  Social justice is vital for a peaceful, prosperous society.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Free Speech is still Free Speech. Even for the Deplorables.

Agree.  However, hate speech that is in direct conflict with the Constitution has no place within government.

I would also note that the government's role is not to guarantee a venue for free speech, merely to refrain from penalizing the practice of free speech.  I wish DeSantis felt the same way.  Tyranny.

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

his political views to be far-left and slightly authoritarian.

No one should be should be surprised by this revelation. False narratives on msm an even this forum are prime examples of political discourse gone wrong. Lies help none of us.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And props to them. And democrats are ridding themselves of?

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

And props to them. And democrats are ridding themselves of?

To be fair, they ridded themselves of every SANE PROGRESSIVE the afternoon of Jan 20th 2021.

Democrats forcefully removed the racists in the 60s.

Corporate Democrats are not trending well in this cycle.

Still, the problem is not ideology as much as it is structural.  The government is for sale. 

The partisan bickering is working.  It has made us ignorant and, unable to take any meaningful action.

Ignorant and angry is the program. 

The majority of the Media is set up to attach people to anything anymore....whether it's truth or not. Despicable. 

5 hours ago, autigeremt said:

The majority of the Media is set up to attach people to anything anymore....whether it's truth or not. Despicable. 

The media is now setup to garner money and/or power.  There is almost no pretense to inform/educate.  Sadly, too small of an audience.

We would rather have the comfort of the rhetoric, the ideology than to actually process information, think critically, think beyond the binary level.

We have sold out our values in favor of capitalism.  We have lost our balance.

Don't get me wrong.  I blame the capital and political classes.  They have control.  Society led from the top.  Still, personal responsibility sort of dictates, it's not that we are lied to, it's more about our ready willingness to believe.  Believe in the sense of pure confirmation bias.

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The media is now setup to garner money and/or power.  There is almost no pretense to inform/educate.  Sadly, too small of an audience.

We would rather have the comfort of the rhetoric, the ideology than to actually process information, think critically, think beyond the binary level.

We have sold out our values in favor of capitalism.  We have lost our balance.

Don't get me wrong.  I blame the capital and political classes.  They have control.  Society led from the top.  Still, personal responsibility sort of dictates, it's not that we are lied to, it's more about our ready willingness to believe.  Believe in the sense of pure confirmation bias.

I don’t think it’s just about capitalism. 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, icanthearyou said:

Agree.  However, hate speech that is in direct conflict with the Constitution has no place within government.

I would also note that the government's role is not to guarantee a venue for free speech, merely to refrain from penalizing the practice of free speech.  I wish DeSantis felt the same way.  Tyranny.

Free speech is protected by the constitution from the government.

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Free speech is protected by the constitution from the government.

I understand.  However, the government has no responsibility to promote hate speech, particularly when that speech is aimed at restricting the rights of others. 

There is no place in government for those who spew hate and, wish to use government to limit the rights of others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I understand.  However, the government has no responsibility to promote hate speech, particularly when that speech is aimed at restricting the rights of others. 

There is no place in government for those who spew hate and, wish to use government to limit the rights of others.

I don't think anyone is asking the government to promote hate speech, but barring a call to violence or threats the government should do everything possible to not infringe on free speech, as distasteful, stupid or offensive it is.   The unintended upside to this is idiots do a pretty good job of outing themselves.

Regarding the second part of your statement - I agree, and that is why to government is there to serve, not control, the people.  People that spew hate won't be elected.  And before you point to Trump or other politicians you disagree with politically, there is a difference between "spewing hate" and disagreement.   People jump to "hate speech", "racism", "nazism", "Communist" and "fascist" way too fast in an attempt to label opponents and it is causing the rift in our society to increase exponentially.  

21 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I don't think anyone is asking the government to promote hate speech, but barring a call to violence or threats the government should do everything possible to not infringe on free speech, as distasteful, stupid or offensive it is.   The unintended upside to this is idiots do a pretty good job of outing themselves.

Regarding the second part of your statement - I agree, and that is why to government is there to serve, not control, the people.  People that spew hate won't be elected.  And before you point to Trump or other politicians you disagree with politically, there is a difference between "spewing hate" and disagreement.   People jump to "hate speech", "racism", "nazism", "Communist" and "fascist" way too fast in an attempt to label opponents and it is causing the rift in our society to increase exponentially.  

There have been many calls to have the government promote hate speech.  Think about all of the demands to allow people like Richard Spencer to speak on college campuses.  Why do you think people would want that?  Why do you suppose one party overwhelmingly supports it?

Have no desire to censor someone like Trump.  In the end, he will keep going until even the most corrupt sort of individual will not vote for him.  But, hateful bigots do get elected.  We have a long history of them.  One party had the courage to give up that voting block.  To date, one party clings to them, even encourages them.   Anyone who cannot see that is either being dishonest or, just doesn't want to.

I appreciate you wanting to defend your party.  However, you are rationalizing.  And to be honest, not very well.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

There have been many calls to have the government promote hate speech.  Think about all of the demands to allow people like Richard Spencer to speak on college campuses.  Why do you think people would want that?  Why do you suppose one party overwhelmingly supports it?

Have no desire to censor someone like Trump.  In the end, he will keep going until even the most corrupt sort of individual will not vote for him.  But, hateful bigots do get elected.  We have a long history of them.  One party had the courage to give up that voting block.  To date, one party clings to them, even encourages them.   Anyone who cannot see that is either being dishonest or, just doesn't want to.

I appreciate you wanting to defend your party.  However, you are rationalizing.  And to be honest, not very well.

I don't consider myself a Republican, just an American - but admittedly my personal beliefs are much closer to the Republican stance.  However, I don't consider myself aligned or beholden to the party - I can certainly disagree where warranted.  

Admittedly I had no idea who Richard Spencer was - but a quick Google search told me all I needed to see.  I certainly haven't seen any "overwhelming support" for this "gentleman", but I do support his right to freedom of speech as long as he isn't breaking any laws (calls to violence, threats of violence, etc).  Under no circumstances do I advocate the government deciding what speech is and is not appropriate.  Would you want President Trump deciding what you have a right to say?  Don't worry, I wouldn't either...

Defending someone's right to free speech is different from promoting it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoAU said:

I don't consider myself a Republican, just an American - but admittedly my personal beliefs are much closer to the Republican stance.  However, I don't consider myself aligned or beholden to the party - I can certainly disagree where warranted.  

Admittedly I had no idea who Richard Spencer was - but a quick Google search told me all I needed to see.  I certainly haven't seen any "overwhelming support" for this "gentleman", but I do support his right to freedom of speech as long as he isn't breaking any laws (calls to violence, threats of violence, etc).  Under no circumstances do I advocate the government deciding what speech is and is not appropriate.  Would you want President Trump deciding what you have a right to say?  Don't worry, I wouldn't either...

Defending someone's right to free speech is different from promoting it.

Just quit. No one here wants an honest debate on anything really. It is Party Uber Alles 24/7 here. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I'll remember that when Maxine Waters and the squad get off on one of their government protected rants. lol 

• Facepalm 1