Bail Versus No Bail

Like most things in our Society this has become politicized.  It is not a simple issue but sadly that is how it is portrayed by both sides of the Political spectrum.

There is a legitimate complaint that poor people can't afford bail and as such spend time in the jail system before they have been convicted of any crime. There is also a legitimate concern in areas where there is no bail that repeat offenders are repeatedly released to commit more crimes. It seems like we are incapable of coming up with a fairer bail system.

I have some suggestions:

Person with no Criminal record is accused of a crime unless it was a very dangerous crime like murder or armed robbery they get a no bail release while waiting trial.

Same Person gets arrested again while out on a no bail release gets a bail that fits the crime and also the ability of the person to pay it. (Type of crime must be taken into consideration).

Same person again gets a high bail or has to remain in jail till trial. 

My ideas are simplistic as more thought would have to be put into the process and the type of crime must also be taken into consideration. 

The old bail system was similar to Debtors prison for the poor and sadly as we have seen in some cities the no bail release then  repeatedly commit new crimes which has led led to higher crime rate.

We as a society need to find a fairer happy medium.

Please think about this and then reply how we can modernize our Bail System to keep people out of jail just because they can't pay bail while  also protecting our streets from people who repeatedly commit crimes and are released.

• Like 2

There is a lot of merit in this.  I’d simplify it a bit though.  

Someone with no prior record on a non violent charge - no cash bail required. 

No prior record but on a violent charge - bail as it stands today (if applicable).  Not everyone can, or should, get bail.  

if you are a repeat offender (say in the past 10 years) - no bail.  

If the person is arrested again while on bail (cash or cashless) bail is revoked, and the old and new charges are both applied.  No additional bail.  This gives a “second chance” but there should not be a third. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GoAU said:

No prior record but on a violent charge - bail as it stands today (if applicable).  Not everyone can, or should, get bail.  

If the person is arrested again while on bail (cash or cashless) bail is revoked, and the old and new charges are both applied.  No additional bail.  This gives a “second chance” but there should not be a third. 

Thank you

3 hours ago, GoAU said:

Same for simple assault, non-aggravated?

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Same for simple assault, non-aggravated?

That’s an interesting one.  Technically it’s still considered a violent crime, so I’d be inclined to say yes.  Also understanding that sometimes things can be taken out of context or blown out of proportion so I’d be ok to call it a “grey area” and leave it to a judge’s discretion based on prior record of the individual.  That’s why they get paid the big bucks.  

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like most things in our Society this has become politicized.  It is not a simple issue but sadly that is how it is portrayed by both sides of the Political spectrum.

There is a legitimate complaint that poor people can't afford bail and as such spend time in the jail system before they have been convicted of any crime. There is also a legitimate concern in areas where there is no bail that repeat offenders are repeatedly released to commit more crimes. It seems like we are incapable of coming up with a fairer bail system.

I have some suggestions:

Person with no Criminal record is accused of a crime unless it was a very dangerous crime like murder or armed robbery they get a no bail release while waiting trial.

Same Person gets arrested again while out on a no bail release gets a bail that fits the crime and also the ability of the person to pay it. (Type of crime must be taken into consideration).

My ideas are simplistic as more thought would have to be put into the process and the type of crime must also be taken into consideration. 

The old bail system was similar to Debtors prison for the poor and sadly as we have seen in some cities the no bail release then  repeatedly commit new crimes which has led led to higher crime rate.

Please think about this and then reply how we can modernize our Bail System to keep people out of jail just because they can't pay bail while  also protecting our streets from people who repeatedly commit crimes and are released.

Sounds reasonable.

No Bail is an idea whose time had come. And then the implementation got all sideways and here we are now. 

Any violence, and Bail should remain as is, but non-violent charges like traffic violations, drug possession, etc should be No Bail. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I have some suggestions:

This makes sense.  Of course, the Bail Bondsmen lobby will fight it tooth and nail.  They get to charge fees for simply signing what amounts to a property bond for the accused and pocket those fees again and again and again.

a good start in the long version of change prisons for profit should be outlawed.