Auburn Flashback - 1988 Danley and Joseph

StatTiger

I absolutely  loved these two guys.   This was the first Auburn team I ever saw in person at the age of 8.  They were good enough to win it all.  Stacy Danley was one of the toughest players Auburn ever had.  Two different times he got knocked out cold(88 Iron Bowl and 90 Hall of Fame Bowl) only to return to the game to play an important part in victory.  He also was a Bama killer.  From 87-89 he gained close to 400 yards on the Tide in those 3 games combined.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think it was the 88 UAT game and it was getting late in the game and AU was ahead and needing to keep the ball. I believe it was third and short and Danley was given the ball. Derrick Thomas hit him at line of scrimmage or maybe in the backfield. Five yards later, Thomas  finally (with some help) got Danley down. One of the toughest 5 yard run in AU lore IMO. 

I would have enjoyed seeing Bo Peep and Collis Campbell getting the ball more! They were both on teams with crowded backfields. Like CPD said Danley didn’t have many long runs, but Bo Peep could take it to the house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

I would have enjoyed seeing Bo Peep and Collis Campbell getting the ball more! They were both on teams with crowded backfields. Like CPD said Danley didn’t have many long runs, but Bo Peep could take it to the house.

Collis Campbell could have started for many other teams.

• Like 1

Will always remember 1989 vs Mississippi State that followed a tough FSU loss. Won 14-0 in JHS. Saw nothing offensively the entire afternoon other than toss sweep right or left to Danley/Joseph. Following the game Coach Dye said “team needed a game it could really sink its teeth into”.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Will always remember 1989 vs Mississippi State that followed a tough FSU loss. Won 14-0 in JHS. Saw nothing offensively the entire afternoon other than toss sweep right or left to Danley/Joseph. Following the game Coach Dye said “team needed a game it could really sink its teeth into”.

I think that game was over in about 2 1/2 hours, maybe less...it was homecoming, I don't think it was on TV and yeah, it was a whole bunch of James Joseph.

The next week was Slack to Warden to yank the Florida game out of the grease.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

I think that game was over in about 2 1/2 hours, maybe less...it was homecoming, I don't think it was on TV and yeah, it was a whole bunch of James Joseph.

The next week was Slack to Warden to yank the Florida game out of the grease.

Wasden….unsung old favorite 

• Love 2

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Wife and I were there for the game unreal he was so open

Never forget you where on games and calls like that from Jim. I was on the deck of my new home in Auburn. Tailgating and home with the one year old. Informed him the other day that his first Auburn game was Southwestern  Louisiana 1988 as a 2 month old.

1993 vs Florida Calvin Jackson 95 yard interception TD return. In a NW corner restroom at JHS getting rid of beer. Ear phones on but stadium noise drowned out Jim. Knew something great happened.

• Like 1

Don't these guys on the Offensive Line have another year of eligibility because of COVID???? Bring them back!!!!