Coach/Senator Tubs on Outkick

maryland tiger

Senator Tuberville has had enough and intimated that politicians may have to get involved with NIL. I had no idea that some coaches are now required to raise funds to pay certain athletes. College football is going down the wrong road. 

Politicians want to get involved because they want a piece of the pie. 

• Like 3

Let's put the issue into a math equation with these assumptions: 1. There are a total of 100 universities with football programs offering scholarships; 2. Each program is limited to 100 scholarship players in any year; 3. Every year 25% of the scholarship players exhaust their eligibility; 4. every year 25% of players with eligibility remaining enter the portal and transfer to a different school.   So, at the beginning of any season, there are a total of 10,000 scholarship football players.   At the end of the season, there are 7,500 players.  Before the next season 1,875 of those 7,500 players enter the portal and transfer to different schools.   After all 1,875 players transfer, there are still just 7,500 players.   To get back to the maximum of 10,000 players, the universities must find 2,500 players from somewhere other than the transfer portal.   What am I missing?   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Each school has the same number of athletes on scholarship than before. Every athlete came from high school. So it has to even out in the macro. 

What you're missing is the # of players falling out of CFB altogether when they hit the portal and don't get picked up, and the number of players who will now never receive any meaningful education toward a degree both because it is now so much easier to "process" them and because of their own youthful impatience and restlessness that leads them to believe they can start somewhere else. The NCAA will end up trying to sweep APR under the rug via rules changes in how it is calculated to avoid embarrassing the entire NCAA membership. 

What you're missing is the # of players falling out of CFB altogether when they hit the portal and don't get picked up, and the number of players who will now never receive any meaningful education toward a degree both because it is now so much easier to "process" them and because of their own youthful impatience and restlessness that leads them to believe they can start somewhere else. The NCAA will end up trying to sweep APR under the rug via rules changes in how it is calculated to avoid embarrassing the entire NCAA membership. 

But, that isn't the point I understood Tubs was trying to make.  Tubs' point was fewer high school players were being offered opportunities for scholarships.  If, as you say, players don't get picked up in the portal, more players are being processed, and more scholarship players are making poor decisions, it naturally follows that high school players will have more, not less, opportunities.   I think your, perhaps valid, point is that more high school players who were given opportunities are not able, for 3 different reasons, to capitalize on those opportunities.  

• Like 1

The more Tubs speaks as a politician the less I wish he was associated with AU. He’s a laughingstock for many in the CFB realm these days. 

Agreed and i use to really like the man. Now just another scumbag politician with his hand out. 

• Like 4

This isn't about the players.  This is about the money, who controls the money.

This isn't about who will be allowed to compete in terms of players.  This is about who will be allowed to compete in terms of conferences/institutions.

This is about a deeply entrenched power structure that, while being forced to "share", isn't about to give up their real control.

• Like 1