The New 'Forward Party'

CoffeeTiger

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-former-republicans-democrats-form-new-third-us-political-party-2022-07-27/

https://www.forwardparty.com/platform

So who here is ready to jump on the new "Forward Party"?  The New 3rd party "centrist" party who's leadership team is made up of several Republicans and a former Democrat turned Independent, Andrew Yang. It says it wants to appeal to the "moderate, common sense majority" of America and challenge the Republican and Democrat parties which is says has become too extreme to one side or the other.

This sounds like it'd be a perfect party for several posters I know on here. It's main platform is that it's not "far right" or "far left", it's perfectly center and accepts anyone and everyone, and really any idea or opinion could theoretically be accepted in this new party. 

Saying that, The new party doesn't really have any beliefs or opinions on anything yet, it's platform is solely about reforming elections into ranked choice voting and non-partisan primaries.  It takes no offial stance on any issues or priorities and instead says the 'common sense majority' of America will guide it's future.

Andrew Yang recently has a media interview with Acosta where he wouldn't outline any position or beliefs on guns, abortion, etc and instead said the Forward Party's position on all those things is the common sense consensus that Americans already have. Yang did not really elaborate on what he believes the common sense consensus was, other than saying it exists and it's what the Forward Party is aiming for. 

So who here is alienated from both Republicans and Democrats and do not really have any strong beliefs on anything in particular? If so you've got yourself a new political party. Congrats!

Edited by CoffeeTiger

I think the two shitstain parties that we currently have are too firmly entrenched to be seriously challenged, but I wish the Forward Party luck.

• Like 4

I can’t give it a 👍 or a 👎 until I see some detail. However, on the surface “common sense” is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Love the idea, but the execution is sorely lacking right now. They don't have any head-turners supporting them yet, and as mentioned they haven't done much on explaining policy positions. "Common sense" sounds great, but if they take too long to flesh out concrete positions on some of the major issues they're going to lose any momentum they have, which doesn't seem to be much.

I like the idea, but Andrew Yang won't cut it. They need a "Trump like" leader with that type appeal to get the ball rolling. And that person escapes me at the moment. IDK Bernie? 

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I like the idea, but Andrew Yang won't cut it. They need a "Trump like" leader with that type appeal to get the ball rolling. And that person escapes me at the moment. IDK Bernie? 

A modern Republican that thinks the leader is more important than policy? How shocking.

Also apparently believes Bernie is centrist.

• Haha 1

Yang is smarter than the last 2 administrations combined. It would be beneficial to have some significant return to the center, but if it ever comes to fruition, I have to imagine it is still a long way out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

A modern Republican that thinks the leader is more important than policy? How shocking.

Also apparently believes Bernie is centrist.

Your comprehension skills are lacking. Let me help:

Not a modern Republican. Not even a registered Republican. That I denounce partisanship and bias lends itself to a centrist view.

Bernie is no centrist. Only an example of name recognition with a following.

For this to succeed you need name recognition and some swag to propel a following. The current leaders of this so-called party won't cut it. 

Any questions obi wan? 

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yang is smarter than the last 2 administrations combined. It would be beneficial to have some significant return to the center, but if it ever comes to fruition, I have to imagine it is still a long way out. 

A stretch IMO. He needs some players with name recognition that people will get behind and as the OP states you do need firm policy positions, i.e. economy, health care, education, immigration, guns, crime, abortion, foreign policy, trade, income inequality, climate change, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

A stretch IMO

Remember who we are talking about though...saying he is smarter than that group isn't as glowing an endorsement as it seems. I like him, but he lacks charisma, direction  and following. He definitely needs some players on his side to be successful. 

• Like 1

I think this is a dumb idea. At least as it's being marketed.

First, because the natural dynamics of our political system seems to promote - if not demand - a two party system.  At least that's what has happened in the past whenever a third party emerges.  Every time.

And it wasn't that long ago when "centrist" positions were easily covered - in an overlapping fashion - by the two current policies - "middle/right" by Republicans and "middle/left" by Democrats. 

Second, the premise that both existing parties are now symmetrically extreme in a bi-polar way as to be comparable, is just bogus.  Only one party has moved to a radically extreme position, and it's not the Democratic party.  

What the country really needs is for the Trump Republican party to revert back to it's traditional position.

If that takes a new third party to diminish the current GOP - which is actually the party of Trump" - I am all for it, whether it be accomplished by Yang or someone else who (perhaps) comes from the old Republican party, like Liz Cheney.

Bottom line, the country currently has only one broken "wing" - the right wing.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Only one party has moved to a radically extreme position, and it's not the Democratic party.  

LOL. Complete horse hockey.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

LOL. Complete horse hockey.

Many believe the Democrats have become utterly loathsome to the majority of Americans. It has become the party of indoctrinated, racist, lying technocrats who really really really hate ‘the people’. It’s almost like the US has been taken over by an occupying hostile force that will do everything it can to destroy the US by attacking the notions of family, independence and free will. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

That I denounce partisanship and bias lends itself to a centrist view.

Lol, yeah, I was just thinking to myself when I saw you'd ralphed your latest string of fully-automatic face palms on anything anti-Trump "that dude is leeevel-headed."

And yet you brought him up as a suggestion to lead the party.

For this to succeed you need name recognition and some swag to propel a following. The current leaders of this so-called party won't cut it. 

They certainly do, but that's not what you said. You said they need a "Trump like leader." Name recognition and swag is needed, but not to just jump in and take control. Certainly a person like that could get the movement going more quickly, but not necessarily in the right direction. The party can figure out who will lead when the voting starts.

This was the point of my original post....you chose to look at a single, strong person to lead, rather than a directing group. You're subconsciously fixed on the idea of a central figure. I am skeptical that your defense of Trump is just coincidence.

Edited by Leftfield

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Lol, yeah, I was just thinking to myself when I saw you'd ralphed your latest string of fully-automatic face palms on anything anti-Trump "that dude is leeevel-headed."

SMH. I'm anti-Trump and have been since he came on the scene in 2015, but I disagree with the mindless drivel you embrace. You decry Fox news yet embrace the propaganda of WAPO or CNN. Matches the definition of insanity. 

And yet you brought him up as a suggestion to lead the party.

Hardly. I pointed to him as a recognizable figure capable of acquiring votes. That moniker should be rather obvious to anyone paying attention. I also mentioned a character like Bernie as a recognizable figure. Not an endorsement. Another obvious, but your inability to acknowledge it much less comprehend surprises no one.

They certainly do, but that's not what you said. You said they need a "Trump like leader." Name recognition and swag is needed, but not to just jump in and take control. Certainly a person like that could get the movement going more quickly, but not necessarily in the right direction. The party can figure out who will lead when the voting starts.

Good grief. Again, your comprehension is suspect. And you will not start a successful party without clear leadership. Waiting until voting starts to identify said leader(s) is idiotic. 

This was the point of my original post....you chose to look at a single, strong person to lead, rather than a directing group. You're subconsciously fixed on the idea of a central figure. I am skeptical that your defense of Trump is just coincidence.

Your original point stated I was a Republican. Wrong.

Stated I thought a leader was more important than policy. Wrong. A clear leader(s) is necessary to embrace and direct the stated policy(s).

Confused political stance with name recognition. Wrong. 

Defended Trump? Depends on context. You talking policy or what exactly?

What else you got young wheezy?

• Haha 1

Why all the hate? Why all the blather? If its a bad idea, then it will die away. 

One thing is abundantly clear for sure, we need something other than the s*** shows we have now.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:08 PM, homersapien said:

I think this is a dumb idea. At least as it's being marketed.

First, because the natural dynamics of our political system seems to promote - if not demand - a two party system.  At least that's what has happened in the past whenever a third party emerges.  Every time.

And it wasn't that long ago when "centrist" positions were easily covered - in an overlapping fashion - by the two current policies - "middle/right" by Republicans and "middle/left" by Democrats. 

Second, the premise that both existing parties are now symmetrically extreme in a bi-polar way as to be comparable, is just bogus.  Only one party has moved to a radically extreme position, and it's not the Democratic party.  

What the country really needs is for the Trump Republican party to revert back to it's traditional position.

If that takes a new third party to diminish the current GOP - which is actually the party of Trump" - I am all for it, whether it be accomplished by Yang or someone else who (perhaps) comes from the old Republican party, like Liz Cheney.

Bottom line, the country currently has only one broken "wing" - the right wing.

No sir, two broken wings and dropped out of a plane at 30,000 feet! 

On 8/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Not a modern Republican. Not even a registered Republican. That I denounce partisanship and bias lends itself to a centrist view.

Any questions obi wan? 

There werent any questions at all. They were just smears. If you cant argue a point, just go for the smear or the dismissal. SSDD here.

On 8/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Any questions obi wan? 

I can't think of one view or opinion you've ever stated on here that isn't exclusively Conservative or Right wing. 

Just because you don't identify as a Republican doesn't mean you are a 'Centrist'. You're just an Independent Conservative. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I can't think of one view or opinion you've ever stated on here that isn't exclusively Conservative or Right wing. 

Just because you don't identify as a Republican doesn't mean you are a 'Centrist'. You're just an Independent Conservative. 

I’ve noticed conservatives on here don’t seem to generally understand the industry accepted political spectrum that is utilized throughout the political science academic field. 

• Like 2