i was disapointed in linebacker play

aubiefifty

i thought i saw some hanky things but i read they are playing like they are coached. i have no idea. is it a rule of thumb to never turn your back on the ball? i was told this was basic stuff? we had one cat chasing rb's while the qb was right behind him just killing us. i am not dropping names because are guys brought the effort. they played hard. they never gave up and if we lose a game it brings a small amount of comfort knowing we fought like hell. that being said it is no substitute for winning.

18 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I haven’t heard from Cam Riley since he was on pace to make 180 tackles.

Too bad we don’t get to play Mercer every week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LB play has been very disappointing. Pappoe and Riley should have been a very strong SEC quality set of starting LB's.  I don't know what's happened.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

LB play has been very disappointing. Pappoe and Riley should have been a very strong SEC quality set of starting LB's.  I don't know what's happened.

C-Rob came with a lot of folks impressed by the hire. So far..ho-hum.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, woodford said:

Pappoe has been a massive let down. He never quite lived up to his 5* ability. 

He’s playing out of position IMO.  In general our LB’ corp isn’t very talented or well coached.  

• Like 1

Riley didn’t play last night. Pappoe and Steiner played about 99% of the snaps. Both look slow. Not sure what happened to Joko Willis. One would think as bad as it has been Woodyard would get at least a few snaps. 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

C-Rob came with a lot of folks impressed by the hire. So far..ho-hum.

but is he allowed to do his own thing or he he having to use a system that might not be as good? this is where i get lost.

I don't like to call out any players but LB is far and away weakest link on defense.  I think OL played well enough to win the game. Turnovers will kill you in a close hard fought game. If you don't win TO score, you don't win the game in SEC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autan said:

I don't like to call out any players but LB is far and away weakest link on defense.  I think OL played well enough to win the game. Turnovers will kill you in a close hard fought game. If you don't win TO score, you don't win the game in SEC.

Go ahead. They're professionals now. It's ok.

• Haha 1

Schmedding coaches LB don’t he?

Steiner misses to many tackles

Troxs gets beat too much and is a liability. Is there anyone who could sure you the RT spot on the team?

Pappoe is shying away from slobberknocker tackles now - not ideal for a LB. Pre-injury he seemed to try to inflict pain then layed the lumber. Cams tackle technique went from textbook to, er, not.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i thought i saw some hanky things but i read they are playing like they are coached. i have no idea. is it a rule of thumb to never turn your back on the ball? i was told this was basic stuff? we had one cat chasing rb's while the qb was right behind him just killing us. i am not dropping names because are guys brought the effort. they played hard. they never gave up and if we lose a game it brings a small amount of comfort knowing we fought like hell. that being said it is no substitute for winning.

On an option play, every man has a responsibility.  If the RB was the backer's man ,then he was correct in covering him.  You have to trust that your teammates do their job also.  If he had left his man to pursue the QB, then the RB would have had the corner which could have resulted in a lot larger gain.  We were always taught to turn the play back inside as that is where your help is at.  Course this was 50 years ago when I played and things have probable changed since then.

11 hours ago, SMITTY4AU said:

On an option play, every man has a responsibility.  If the RB was the backer's man ,then he was correct in covering him.  You have to trust that your teammates do their job also.  If he had left his man to pursue the QB, then the RB would have had the corner which could have resulted in a lot larger gain.  We were always taught to turn the play back inside as that is where your help is at.  Course this was 50 years ago when I played and things have probable changed since then.

I think it was a crossing TE, but still the same idea. It just looks bad for a LB to have is back turned to the ball carrier so close he could almost reach out and grab him. Whoever had the QB got his butt blocked every time. 

According to one report that I saw, Riley didn't play because of injury. He's much better than Steiner but I didn't realize exactly how much better he really is. The extent of his injury wasn't mentioned but I do know we need Riley back in action!

• Like 2

Had people on this board telling us that we had two of the better LBs, if not the best, in the SEC. I just dropped my jaw at that.

Our LBs were a net negative on the field. They played awful and were horribly utilized. Just tragic how horrible this team is right now. 

LB were my #1 sore spot Saturday.

• Like 1

Where is Jason Miska when you need him?  He was vastly undersized but man he brought it every game!  Didn’t miss assignments and damned sure didn’t miss tackles when unblocked. How are our two starting LBs still seeing the field after their performances in September?

11 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

How are our two starting LBs still seeing the field after their performances in September?

T-Will did not leave us anyone else, then we whiffed in the portal at the position.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

27 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

T-Will did not leave us anyone else, then we whiffed in the portal at the position.

Riley has been playing the best, but he is injured and did not play against LSU. Pappoe has been a disappointment.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Riley has been playing the best, but he is injured and did not play against LSU. Pappoe has been a disappointment.

Agree on both, my answer was to why we don't have more quality depth though.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:37 AM, Swamp Eagle said:

I haven’t heard from Cam Riley since he was on pace to make 180 tackles.

I was thinking the same thing.   He tackled everyone including the mascot in the first game, but now he is MIA.

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Agree on both, my answer was to why we don't have more quality depth though.

Steiner and Tisdol were both supposed to be 4* recruits. They weren't on our "A" list but after bigger dogs de-committed from Auburn in that cycle we were still able to get those two. Apparently they were over rated. Riley was on our "A" list and so far he's been the best of that class.