this is what breaks my heart about this year

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm not sure it was as simple as that. Plus I 100% believe he would have taken the GA job after Richt left anyways. Where would that have left us? Probably with Gus after he left.

It would have left us with a sh** load of talent.  Maybe a coach like Gus or Harsin could have been more successful if they had that to start out with.  

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

It would have left us with a sh** load of talent.  Maybe a coach like Gus or Harsin could have been more successful if they had that to start out with.  

With just 3 years of recruiting? Kirbs started at GA on 12/01/2015. It wasn't like Gus was recruiting poorly then as Harsin is now. 2015 -> #8 / 2014 -> #6 / 2013 -> #10.

UGA's NC has overshadowed many of Kirby's ups and downs at UGA. I live close to UGA and before his NC, there were a lot of loud GA Kirby dissenters who were adamant that he be given the pink slip because he couldn't win the important games. I mean watch some of the SEC shorts last season and they make reference to UGA's sour mood on winning big games. I think the level of talent he was bringing in was actually exacerbating the issue, i.e., the debate involved the typical "he could recruit but couldn't develop players". Kirby's tenure with UGA was not all Saban-isque and rose colored. I might be going out on the limb on this comment but his NC win was a must for his tenure at UGA.  

I think we can all theorize on his potential impact at AU, would he have been given the tincture of time at AU like he received at UGA??....dunno. In reality, doesn't matter and dwells in the realm of "what ifs".

Edited by AU_Canoe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I was under the impression in the interview with AU Kirby requested details of all the current NCAA allegations but we refused to share that with him in case he took the information back to Bama. Am I off base? Could've sworn I read that here at the time. 

Had he been hired here and had things humming and we gave him a raise when UGA came calling I'm not sure it would have been such an easy decision to go back to UGA and start over. This is a business and a lot goes into these decisions beyond alma mater. Not saying he wouldn't have left but I don't think it's fair to assume he would've left, particularly if he had things looking good here

Kirby is shady as f$$. I would definitely not put it past him to take anything he could have back to Bama to get an advantage. When he left Bama, he stole the names off their recruiting board and showed it to recruits. He cried to the SEC office after the first Au vs uga game in 2017 saying our dbacks were getting away with holding.  The guy has no scruples or class. He will literally use anything he can get his grubby hands on to get an advantage. Learned from the best at it. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Kirby is shady as f$$. I would definitely not put it past him to take anything he could have back to Bama to get an advantage. When he left Bama, he stole the names off their recruiting board and showed it to recruits. He cried to the SEC office after the first Au vs uga game in 2017 saying our dbacks were getting away with holding.  The guy has no scruples or class. He will literally use anything he can get his grubby hands on to get an advantage. Learned from the best at it. 

Agree. My least favorite coach. 

18 hours ago, aucom96 said:

We need to hire an SEC level Athletic Director and let him do his job. He doesn't need to be managed by some overpowered compliance officer, or some booster-installed watchdog. 

Even if we had hired Smart, he would have taken that Georgia job. We are big on building these Frankenstein monsters that are obviously conceived outside of the AD and it always eventually falls apart. Chizik was a solid football mind and coordinator that had stumbled at his first coaching job. Someone decided to give him an all-star staff of street agent recruiters and a hotshot OC and it worked...until he decided he wanted control and the players became a disciplinary nightmare and finally quit on him. Gus was great until changes in rules effectively destroyed his offensive advantage. I feel like caring about defense was basically forced on him and he and his offensive staff were terrible at roster management. 

If we had a professional AD, we could look at a bigger picture instead of just jumping at whatever quick fix we think will fast-track us to competing with Georgia and bama. We need to hire a head coach with that big picture thinking that can sell the program to fans, media, his staff and players. We need a staff pulling in one direction, that can successfully recruit to that direction and understands our challenges in the areas we recruit. Harsin talked a lot of this game, but he came and did mostly the opposite. That's on Greene. We need better than Greene this time and we need to let that AD make the hire. 

Do I expect that to happen? Not a chance. 

I think Greene saw the righting on the wall with Harsin and got the hell out of dodge!

3 hours ago, AUwartigerAU said:

I think Greene saw the righting on the wall with Harsin and got the hell out of dodge!

Not quite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Do you mean he had the write stuff?

No, I mean he was non-renewed due to job performance. No other reason.

• Like 1

Didn't read the entire first page but I'd bet my Tesla that somebody said Kirby would have left for Georgia!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Didn't read the entire first page but I'd bet my Tesla that somebody said Kirby would have left for Georgia!

How did you know?!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And yet we still don’t have an AD lined up. Got to love it .

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

How did you know?!

You gotta love those I don't want success for a few years individuals 😂

1 hour ago, DAG said:

And yet we still don’t have an AD lined up. Got to love it .

Not publicly 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

You gotta love those I don't want success for a few years individuals 😂

I just think, could you imagine if the raptors were like this with Kahwi Leonard.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not publicly 

Well what good does it do anyone to have it behind the scenes at this point? 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well what good does it do anyone to have it behind the scenes at this point? 

Lots of good to those making moves, reaching out, and conversing. 

We've always asked to have things lined up before things break. There are a lot of moving parts and lots of ducks needing to be lined up. Those type of things, no matter the institution or industry, rarely see the light of day

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Lots of good to those making moves, reaching out, and conversing. 

We've always asked to have things lined up before things break. There are a lot of moving parts and lots of ducks needing to be lined up. Those type of things, no matter the institution or industry, rarely see the light of day

My point is, we should be at the stage when this should've been done well in advance, particularly if you knew for MONTHS that you were not going to renew AG contract. You had a president in name last February I believe. He started in office in June. It is now October with no AD.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

My point is, we should be at the stage when this should've been done well in advance, particularly if you knew for MONTHS that you were not going to renew AG contract. You had a president in name last February I believe. He started in office in June. It is now October with no AD.

I don't disagree but if we hire an AD in the next month we're still in fine shape.  It's not like a new HC is going to be hired until after their current season ends in December.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't disagree but if we hire an AD in the next month we're still in fine shape.  It's not like a new HC is going to be hired until after their current season ends in December.

Unless it’s Meyer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Unless it’s Meyer.

Even in my wildest dreams JABA screws the pooch here because "he's not a good man".

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

What specifically on the job performance? Was it because he bucked the PTB and hired Harsin or something else?

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Even in my wildest dreams JABA screws the pooch here because "he's not a good man".

I think I’m with ya on that, but many are touting him.

• Like 1