I believe Dell McGee is the answer

Auburn93

29 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do you even understand that playing the toughest schedule in the country every year just MIGHT be keeping us from being a consistent top 10 program? You had better not be among those who want to play Florida every year too when the league expands.

Naturally, we put UCLA on the schedule in 27-28 and suddenly they become a powerhouse. In addition to Baylor and I feel like Miami is going to be a lot better once they get that recruiting class in.

God no why make the schedule harder? That being said a huge portion of our schedule being tough is Alabama/Georgia. Texas A&M always gets a bloated ranking and ends up looking beatable. LSU has been middle of the road recently other than their one insane championship run. The Mississippi schools aren’t consistent. Arkansas is Arkansas. 9 wins and a bowl win should be very doable on a consistent basis at AU with the resources we have at our disposal.

• Thanks 2

On 10/7/2022 at 9:23 AM, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

if he can get his former teammate Takeo Spikes on the staff id be interested

Yes please

I just want to actually enjoy and be excited for Auburn football again. When’s the last time you actually enjoyed watching Auburn play offense? With Lane at least we know the offense would always be humming and firing on all cylinders. I think Prime has higher upside because I think outside of Urban Meyer he’s the one guy that could consistently go head to head with Saban and Kirby for blue chip recruits in the living room and win his fair share. Lane would kill it in the portal and The QB position would always be a strength. Both are high profile big names that would generate a lot of good buzz that this program desperately needs. Grimes or Dell isn’t anywhere close to the type of impactful hire that Prime or the Lane Train would be.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I keep on seeing posts about how great Deion, alias Leon Sandcastle can/will recruit. Oh, how good that he will bring in all the 5* and 4* players and then Auburn will be the "Power of Dixieland" once again, how he can go head to head with Kirby and Saban for all those elite recruits. Is there a guarantee that he could/would? Jimbo has done it at A&M and look where they are at. Chiz brought in some good recruits(especislly linemen) and we won a natty, (And by the way, Malzhan convinced Chiz to take Cam),and I use Jimbo and Chiz only as examples. but look where Chiz the whiz wound up. And Jimbo's on the "Hot Seat" now. I read a lot of posts where folks say that; "but we don't need a coach from a "lower division" or an OC or DC, but yet, Deion is the answer? Deion/Leon has never coached at this level before. Dadgum folks, he's not even at a G5 school but he will be the savior of the plains? Come on now, what makes you so sure about this man as HC?  i agree, he is a showman, but so is Leech(love his interviews). So, Deion will just walk into a P5 job and automatically rake in the 5 and 4 star players just because he convinced 1 5 star player to sign with Jackson State and be competing for a natty in a few years? Got to win this thing called the SEC West first then the SEC championship second to even get to the playoffs. Let Deion prove himself for a few years first and work up through the ranks and gain more experience in the coaching world. Jackson State is maybe just a notch above D2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Ok, I keep on seeing posts about how great Deion, alias Leon Sandcastle can/will recruit. Oh, how good that he will bring in all the 5* and 4* players and then Auburn will be the "Power of Dixieland" once again, how he can go head to head with Kirby and Saban for all those elite recruits. Is there a guarantee that he could/would? Jimbo has done it at A&M and look where they are at. Chiz brought in some good recruits(especislly linemen) and we won a natty, (And by the way, Malzhan convinced Chiz to take Cam),and I use Jimbo and Chiz only as examples. but look where Chiz the whiz wound up. And Jimbo's on the "Hot Seat" now. I read a lot of posts where folks say that; "but we don't need a coach from a "lower division" or an OC or DC, but yet, Deion is the answer? Deion/Leon has never coached at this level before. Dadgum folks, he's not even at a G5 school but he will be the savior of the plains? Come on now, what makes you so sure about this man as HC?  i agree, he is a showman, but so is Leech(love his interviews). So, Deion will just walk into a P5 job and automatically rake in the 5 and 4 star players just because he convinced 1 5 star player to sign with Jackson State and be competing for a natty in a few years? Got to win this thing called the SEC West first then the SEC championship second to even get to the playoffs. Let Deion prove himself for a few years first and work up through the ranks and gain more experience in the coaching world. Jackson State is maybe just a notch above D2. 

Does anyone think Kirby is some coaching savant??? No. He is been able to recruit well and has reaped the rewards. 

• Like 1

Chiz won the Natty with Can but just as importantly with T-ville's senior good oline. Gus almost won the natty with chiz's continued good senior oline. 

The recruiting is absolutely top priority because it doesn't matter who good your plays are if the talent isn't there it doesn't matter. The talent trumps the coaching ability 9 times out of 10. Sabam isn't the best in game coach but he has the best players so it more than compensates. Same with Kirby mostly.

We need someone who can get us top talent.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Does anyone think Kirby is some coaching savant??? No. He is been able to recruit well and has reaped the rewards. 

There are some who think more highly of Kirby than I think is warranted. Auburn, GT, FSU, and UF were sliding - and he stepped in. Perfect storm for his geography. He’s solid, a disciplined workaholic,  and manic about owning all talent from from Atlanta to north Fla.  Which is a world of 5*s. And being opportunistic elsewhere. However, I think with a dynamic coach, he’s vulnerable. IMO He’s not Saban. Not close.

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Just so we’re clear, you’re against hiring Deion?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Just so we’re clear, you’re against hiring Deion?

Let me just say that I don't think it would be in Auburn's best interest at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Yes, next question please. 

Edited by VegasEagle

5 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Let me just say that I don't think it would be in Auburn's best interest at this time.

I disagree completely. But damn that was graciously well put. 

• Like 1

Deion would be an amazing hire. But (and I say this knowing that no coach is a sure thing), I'm sick of people acting like Grimes would be JABA.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Just don’t see it that way. 

Have about 4 drinks, most say I sound better that way. 😋 I respect your opinion.

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Have about 4 drinks, most say I sound better that way. 😋 I respect your opinion.

No worries brother! All AU fans are hurting. I passed the 4 mark an hour before kickoff. 

40 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Deion would be an amazing hire. But (and I say this knowing that no coach is a sure thing), I'm sick of people acting like Grimes would be JABA.

It would be. Grimes is only in consideration because of his ties to AU. He’s right out of the GOB booster playbook getting a guy they are comfortable with who they think they can control over the best possible candidate. Get it through that thick stubborn skull of yours for once. Auburn is a top 15 job. Hiring coordinators should be beneath us. We are not a job where first time head coaches are learning on the job and have training wheels on. I just wish the  people that matter at AU would for once stop selling us short and hire to the level of program AU is. We aren’t a mid tier job. We are a top job.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It would be. Grimes is only in consideration because of his ties to AU. He’s right out of the GOB booster playbook getting a guy they are comfortable with who they think they can control over the best possible candidate. Get it through that thick stubborn skull of yours for once. Auburn is a top 15 job. Hiring coordinators should be beneath us. We are not a job where first time head coaches are learning on the job and have training wheels on. I just wish the  people that matter at AU would for once stop selling us short and hire to the level of program AU is. We aren’t a mid tier job. We are a top job.

Hmmm , talk about driving home a point

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

-I'm sorry but being between and having to play the two strongest programs in the country every year is going to set a ceiling on who we can get.

-It's very clear your last memory of the guy was 2012. Every offense under his watch since then has dramatically improved from when he got there.

-Genuinely want to know--which coaches in the SEC would you have been ok with at the time they were hired?

Edited by AUwent

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

-I'm sorry but being between and having to play the two strongest programs in the country every year is going to set a ceiling on who we can get.

-It's very clear your last memory of the guy was 2012. Every offense under his watch since then has dramatically improved from when he got there.

-Genuinely want to know--which coaches in the SEC would you have been ok with at the time they were hired?

You are part of the problem with that attitude. I don’t want to hear why this is a tough job. We all know this. Guess what? It’s still a great job. AU has won in spite of mediocre coaches since dye not because of them. That just shows you we have great bones and how fantastic a job this can be. Now imagine the damage AU could do with a actual extremely proven successful coach. That’s great you are so high on Grimes. Go let him get his head coaching on the job training experience at Colorado or Arizona State. AU shouldn’t have to take that risk.

Hmm would I have been ok for them to be hired at AU or where they got hired at? Because that’s 2 totally different and separate things. For what programs hired them? Alabama, LSU, Miss ST and TAMU did a great job hiring proven head coaches who were successful winners to varying degrees before those schools hired them. Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy and Mizzou made good hires relative to their standing in the college football world. Georgia coming off the very successful and super consistent Richt era filled with lots of ten plus win seasons and  hiring a career coordinator in Kirby was a huge risk imo and beneath what they could of got  but that’s obviously  worked out amazingly for them as he turned out to be arguably the best recruiting head coach in the country. I will never be ok with programs with the stature of Florida or Tennessee hiring mid major coaches regardless of their success or lack of success. And even though Arkansas and South Carolina were at rock bottom I will never be ok  with sec schools hiring career position coaches to be head coaches.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are part of the problem with that attitude. I don’t want to hear why this is a tough job. We all know this. Guess what? It’s still a great job. AU has won in spite of mediocre coaches since dye not because of them. That just shows you we have great bones and how fantastic a job this can be. Now imagine the damage AU could do with a actual extremely proven successful coach. That’s great you are so high on Grimes. Go let him get his head coaching on the job training experience at Colorado or Arizona State. AU shouldn’t have to take that risk.

Hmm would I have been ok for them to be hired at AU or where they got hired at? Because that’s 2 totally different and separate things. For what programs hired them? Alabama, LSU, Miss ST and TAMU did a great job hiring proven head coaches who were successful winners to varying degrees before those schools hired them. Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy and Mizzou made good hires relative to their standing in the college football world. Georgia coming off the very successful and super consistent Richt era filled with lots of ten plus win seasons and  hiring a career coordinator in Kirby was a huge risk imo and beneath what they could of got  but that’s obviously  worked out amazingly for them as he turned out to be arguably the best recruiting head coach in the country. I will never be ok with programs with the stature of Florida or Tennessee hiring mid major coaches regardless of their success or lack of success. And even though Arkansas and South Carolina were at rock bottom I will never be ok  with sec schools hiring career position coaches to be head coaches.

Well, I can thank you for elaborating.

Edited by AUwent

11 hours ago, fasttimes said:

The recruiting is absolutely top priority because it doesn't matter who good your plays are if the talent isn't there it doesn't matter. The talent trumps the coaching ability 9 times out of 10

I agree to a certain extent. But I don't believe Harsin could win the way he manages and handles this team. Much less the play calling at times. (Oh, and there must be GOOD coaching and development from said coach to help TOP talent progress, just saying.) Jimbo has not produced. Kirby is not near as bad of a coach as some on this board make him out to be. 

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well then, here are some suggestions for you. All college football coaches with experience at the highest level: Dan Mullen, Will Muschamp, Les Miles, Kevin Sumlin and those are just for starters.

Assistant coaches are just as likely to be successful or fail as are experienced head coaches. Fit is the most important thing, not prior head coaching experience. Hiring a new coach is a crap-shoot no matter who you choose.

• Like 1
  • Love 1