2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nice try!!! We all know you just don’t want to lose The Lane Train 🚂 at Ole Miss since that’s where your heart really is!!! 😂😂

You got me there. 

Lane could be great at Auburn. I think he's a better fit at Ole Miss, but that's just me. I also think he's someone who gets bored easily, and I wonder how long he would stay at Auburn, in college football, or in coaching in general. He's just an odd bird. I could be reading him wrong. He could be the kind of person who would remain in a job for 5+ years, I don't know. Not saying that should disqualify him, but I think it's a consideration if choosing between him and some of the other names mentioned. If he's the best coach we can get, then Auburn should hire him. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

So apparently there’s a surprise candidate from the PAC 12 who has contacted us. Edit: His people have contacted us…

I hope someone didn’t see Charles Kelly and confuse it for Chip.

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand your points. I don’t give much risk reduction for 8 games. But may work out to be another Smart.

I hear you. The Georgia people I know are super high on Lanning, not that they should sway your opinion!

Just now, Barnacle said:

I hear you. The Georgia people I know are super high on Lanning, not that they should sway your opinion!

The thing about his UGA work, their defense was tops b4 he ever showed up with most giving Smart that credit. No way to know that, but he may be great.

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

The thing about his UGA work, their defense was tops b4 he ever showed up with most giving Smart that credit. No way to know that, but he may be great.

This is true but Smart and Saban both think very highly of him. As I suggested, if we don’t give him a chance, another SEC program will. What will be the result is anyone’s guess, but given his recruiting chops and pedigree, and his short stint at Oregon, I would be betting on him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is true but Smart and Saban both think very highly of him. As I suggested, if we don’t give him a chance, another SEC program will. What will be the result is anyone’s guess, but given his recruiting chops and pedigree, and his short stint at Oregon, I would be betting on him. 

I know he makes less than Harsin did at this time. See an update coming soon though.

Guest MustardSeed
7 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I could get on board with Lanning.

He’s certainly done better with Nix than the last guy…

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

They said the same thing about Kirby when he was coaching with Nick.  How’d that end up?

Need help in understanding coach searches: Usually the search is kept close to the vest with little info forthcoming from the searching party. Is this primarily to protect the people being contacted or to avoid the "egg on the face" when rejected? Maybe both? Sure does lead to a lot of speculation and opion battles among fans and pundits alike. Maybe certain factions like all the attention it generates. WDE

7 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

We’re sure going to need someone that can compete with the Kelly’s and Kirby’s in our conference. 

It’s becoming an elite talent arms race 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tigers77 said:

Lashlee has hung 70 on Houston with time left…just sayin…

19895EF0-3C87-4440-8ACE-DCF864AF7A51.png

It would be very JABA...

And you know, he wasn't a terrible recruiter. But he isn't ready yet. I think we can ill-afford another coaching change that nets us a staff of "young, up-and-coming" G5 position coaches that no one knows.

Maybe next-go-round though...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

It would be very JABA...

And you know, he wasn't a terrible recruiter. But he isn't ready yet. I think we can ill-afford another coaching change that nets us a staff of "young, up-and-coming" G5 position coaches that no one knows.

Maybe next-go-round though...

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I’ve been joking around for weeks that it would be him because like you said it would be very JABA.