Question About Freeze

Potatooooooes!!

Just now, Potatooooooes!! said:

It’s Ole Miss. literally no one cared about them before Freeze came along. You keep pointing out these losses. EVERY good coach has bad losses on their record. You are vastly underselling his wins and the seasons he had. Also, Auburn fans shouldn’t give a damn about the press at this point. He was clearly a good recruiter, which means he can handle a little negative recruiting. Also, he does have an advantage that he didn’t have at ole miss, and that’s Auburn itself. If you want to try and make an ethical case against him that’s one thing. Making a case against his coaching and recruiting ability is just foolish, especially with what you have provided.

Again, how am I wrong with the facts I have presented? He literally had a 9 win year and a 10 win year and average to below average seasons at Ole Miss. Nutt had back to back 9 win years at Ole Miss before his last two years. Also, how can you ignore the bad losses? He literally had a chance for more than 10 wins that year but he can’t finish the job. That was his only year to do anything and choked all of that talent away. Then the next year, well we know the story. Again, I laugh at how you think he’s a good recruiter. Mickey Mouse would be a better recruiter than having Freeze here. It would be so easy. I’m still waiting on how you honestly believe he would be able to go head to head against Saban and Smart, among others. But it’s all a moot point, Dr. Roberts will not sign off on him thankfully…

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

It’s Ole Miss. literally no one cared about them before Freeze came along. You keep pointing out these losses. EVERY good coach has bad losses on their record. You are vastly underselling his wins and the seasons he had. Also, Auburn fans shouldn’t give a damn about the press at this point. He was clearly a good recruiter, which means he can handle a little negative recruiting. Also, he does have an advantage that he didn’t have at ole miss, and that’s Auburn itself. If you want to try and make an ethical case against him that’s one thing. Making a case against his coaching and recruiting ability is just foolish, especially with what you have provided.

He CHEATED.  He broke every moral, ethical, legal, institutional standard.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Again, how am I wrong with the facts I have presented? He literally had a 9 win year and a 10 win year and average to below average seasons at Ole Miss. Nutt had back to back 9 win years at Ole Miss before his last two years. Also, how can you ignore the bad losses? He literally had a chance for more than 10 wins that year but he can’t finish the job. That was his only year to do anything and choked all of that talent away. Then the next year, well we know the story. Again, I laugh at how you think he’s a good recruiter. Mickey Mouse would be a better recruiter than having Freeze here. It would be so easy. I’m still waiting on how you honestly believe he would be able to go head to head against Saban and Smart, among others. But it’s all a moot point, Dr. Roberts will not sign off on him thankfully…

Because it’s not about just what he’s done at Ole Miss, it’s what he’s done at Liberty too. He won big at Ole Miss, and continues to win big at a low tier school no one heard of like Liberty. So it’s very apparent he knows not just how to run a program, but level it up too. He also took one of Malzhan’s recruits, started him at QB, and turned him into a draft pick. THAT’S what people care about, and that’s ESPECIALLY what recruits care about. Can he make the program better? Can he make me as a player better? The answer is yes. So when you say you just laugh at the mention he can recruit, just know that everyone else is laughing at you, because it’s obvious that he would be able to recruit well here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

He CHEATED.  He broke every moral, ethical, legal, institutional standard.

I get that, but every coach in the SEC cheats. My question to you is, did he cheat at Liberty to get his record there?

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Because it’s not about just what he’s done at Ole Miss, it’s what he’s done at Liberty too. He won big at Ole Miss, and continues to win big at a low tier school no one heard of like Liberty. So it’s very apparent he knows not just how to run a program, but level it up too. He also took one of Malzhan’s recruits, started him at QB, and turned him into a draft pick. THAT’S what people care about, and that’s ESPECIALLY what recruits care about. Can he make the program better? Can he make me as a player better? The answer is yes. So when you say you just laugh at the mention he can recruit, just know that everyone else is laughing at you, because it’s obvious that he would be able to recruit well here.

Oh yes, even though Malik has made it public that he didn’t try while he was here at Auburn (paraphrasing). Again, he’s at the perfect spot for his baggage. He has no pressure. And are we really going to pay someone who has no championships along with all of that baggage over $6-7 million? That’s just stupid right there. And tell me again how many championships he has won? Oh wait, one at Arkansas State, just like Gus. You know we are literally the only SEC school who talk a ton him right? I mean, branch outside of Auburn circles and his name isn’t even mentioned. It’s amazing how he’s this unbelievable and can’t miss coach yet hasn’t had a power 5 job in years.  He is Gus 2.0. But that’s even an insult to Gus, because he was 3-1 against Freeze and won an SEC championship and went to another. We’ll agree to disagree, I’ll never pull for that guy and luckily Dr. Roberts won’t either…

• Love 1

Oh also, let’s stop minimizing what Freeze did. He literally paid sex to minors. And then this past summer DMing a sexual abuse victim. He hasn’t learned anything and it’s disgusting how you guys stick up for him…

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I get that, but every coach in the SEC cheats. My question to you is, did he cheat at Liberty to get his record there?

I have standards for integrity and character.  Freeze has proven he does not.  His hypocrisy is disqualifying, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I have standards for integrity and character.  Freeze has proven he does not.  His hypocrisy is disqualifying, IMHO.

Thank you, found at least one person in this discussion with some integrity…

20 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Dude, u need to give up with that guy. He swears up and down that Roberts won't sign off on Danny Hugh. He also on record of turning in his fan card if AU hires Danny Hugh. He thinks that Deion is the only coach bar none and no changing his mind. I'm afraid he gonna be severely disappointed. 

It didn't take this thread long to turn into another "We've got to hire Sanders" piece. The Sanders cultists quickly pick at the warts on every other possible candidate in an attempt to prove that their guy is the only savior out there.

If hired, Sanders may do a fine job at AU or he might be a flop but in the meantime, observing his cultists is amusing.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Which is fine. And that’s a perfectly valid point to have. But that’s not the conversation I’m having. I’m answering a very specific question as to why people would or do want Freeze, and it’s a conversation based on his resume. Personally, I’m not really a fan of his or for him being our next coach. I think everyone knows at this point who I prefer. 

26 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Oh yes, even though Malik has made it public that he didn’t try while he was here at Auburn (paraphrasing). Again, he’s at the perfect spot for his baggage. He has no pressure. And are we really going to pay someone who has no championships along with all of that baggage over $6-7 million? That’s just stupid right there. And tell me again how many championships he has won? Oh wait, one at Arkansas State, just like Gus. You know we are literally the only SEC school who talk a ton him right? I mean, branch outside of Auburn circles and his name isn’t even mentioned. It’s amazing how he’s this unbelievable and can’t miss coach yet hasn’t had a power 5 job in years.  He is Gus 2.0. But that’s even an insult to Gus, because he was 3-1 against Freeze and won an SEC championship and went to another. We’ll agree to disagree, I’ll never pull for that guy and luckily Dr. Roberts won’t either…

Why is he at the perfect spot? Do you only have moral qualms with him if he’s potentially coaching at Auburn? I mean, how dare Liberty hire him for what he did? I’m fine agreeing to disagree, but you gotta be consistent 

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Dude, u need to give up with that guy. He swears up and down that Roberts won't sign off on Danny Hugh. He also on record of turning in his fan card if AU hires Danny Hugh. He thinks that Deion is the only coach bar none and no changing his mind. I'm afraid he gonna be severely disappointed. 

I guess we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

What facts? He just brought up a bunch of different screenshots that talk about literally two incidents that everyone already knows about.

Everyone knows what happened at Ole Miss. That was ~7 years ago, dawg. It was bad, but the part you completely ignore is that Hugh Freeze is extremely good at talking and selling himself. He is preacher-level good. So when you say it's going to be easy to negatively recruit against him, you ignore the fact that he has a say in the entire situation too and he can go into living rooms himself and shake and jive as good as anyone. Do you understand that he already has players from P5 teams transferring in to play for him at Liberty? Multiple players from Auburn and other SEC schools; he has a QB from Tennessee (Kaidon Salter), a QB from Utah who also started multiple years at Baylor (Charlie Brewer), etc, etc. So he has already proven and continues to prove that he can recruit past the "negative attention". If you were right, he wouldn't be able to do what he's already doing at Liberty. But you're wrong, that's the point. Hugh Freeze is an elite level recruiter and salesman. Guys like that can change peoples minds real quick, and that's what you don't appreciate.

Brian Kelly literally made a decision that led to a kid DYING during practice years ago and that man is currently recruiting and recruiting well at LSU. By the way, Deion Sanders allegedly choked his ex-wife and he's admitted to choking another man (D.L. Wallace) during his "Prime Prep" days. Do you notice that no recruit in the country seems to give a s*** about that? It doesn't sound nice, but most elite level recruits and their families aren't looking for the most Mr. Rogers-esque coach to play under. They want to win, they want to develop, they want to get paid, and they want to go to the NFL. 

People like you don't look through the eyes of an elite potentially impoverished inner-city football recruit, you attach your own values and beliefs and pretend they're universal. Oh no he DM'd someone suing who is Liberty! The horror! Do you understand that this is entirely a Twitter issue and has no football implications at all? I can guarantee you any amount of money that that "situation" means next to nothing in a recruit's living room. Literally none. That entire story went nowhere by the way because he didn't follow up with anything, and if you actually read the message he sent, he didn't even say or imply anything incriminating to the woman. So what you really have is an event that took place at Ole Miss ~7 years ago, and a non-story that took place this past year at Liberty.

I'm not claiming that this is a good man or that he isn't a risk to do something dumb, but I'm also not stupid enough to look past the fact that he is an elite level football coach and possesses all of the qualities that will work big-time at Auburn. He is a GREAT recruiter. He is GREAT with boosters and schmoozing with money men (hellooo...NIL?). On the field he keeps winning and he's doing it by taking crap jobs that are performing poorly and turning them around almost immediately. His football resume speaks for itself, but alas most AU fans wouldn't know a good coach if he smacked them upside the head. He is currently 7-1 at Liberty with a 1-point loss against a Top 15 Wake Forest team...while playing 3rd and 4th string QB's for basically the entire season lmao.

Also, he didn't JUST "beat Bama". He has beaten LSU - multiple times. Beat Auburn. Beat A&M - multiple times. He beat Kirby Smart at Georgia. He beat Mack Brown at Texas. He did this all at OLE MISS - a school that had won 6 games combined in the previous two years to him taking the job. He is 5-2 in Bowl Games. He beat Dan Mullen multiple times in the Egg Bowl. He has won SEC games on the road against bigger programs than his own.

And here's the kicker: he did that all without a Cam Newton or a Johnny Manziel. Who was his QB at Ole Miss? Bo Wallace? He came a hair away from beating three straight seasons. Nobody does that, especially at Ole Miss. And before anyone says Malzahn and how he beat Saban: it is actually AUBURN That has this magic quality of always being able to challenge Bama. It has nothing to do with Malzahn. You literally saw that last season as the worst AU coach of all time - Bryan Harsin - almost beat Saban and Bama. In fact he should have beaten them. Malzahn beating Saban a few times while at Auburn is not even remotely comparable to what Hugh Freeze did at Ole Miss. 

I'm not suggesting that Hugh Freeze should be anyone's top target or that he has no risk or that he should be given this job, but anyone who can't see his elite coaching resume and skillset knows next to nothing about football - point blank. He would absolutely kill it here at Auburn and would win 10+ games a year. This program is 10x stronger than Ole Miss, it's not even close.

Nope to all 7 paragraphs. He won't win recruiting battles vs Smart and Saban. 

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Thank you, found at least one person in this discussion with some integrity…

You'll need to eliminate prime from the running then, too.  Since he's obviously a fornicator.  And you are the forum authority on integrity.

Power, Money and Sex: How Success Almost Ruined My Life: Sanders, Deion:  9780849937767: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Same. But to me, logically, if it were a serious ethical issue (which is the angle I and most others are looking at this from)  like some have made it out be be, Liberty wouldn’t have extended him,

This is the same Liberty recently ran by the scandalous Jerry Falwell Jr. they’re not a good marker of ethical leadership. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

He won big at Ole Miss

Would he have won big at Ole Miss if not for his illegal recruiting tactics, which helped him land Nkemdiche, Tunsil, Treadwell, Conner and others?

I get it…it’s the Wild West now. BUT, it wasn’t then. And he chose to deliberately…not just break… crush the rules then.

As Charlie Murphy said about Rick James…”He’s a habitual line stepper.”

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

If hired, Sanders may do a fine job at AU or he might be a flop but in the meantime, observing his cultists is amusing.

Likewise with that massive mob of UCF cultists.

4 hours ago, metafour said:

What facts? He just brought up a bunch of different screenshots that talk about literally two incidents that everyone already knows about.

Everyone knows what happened at Ole Miss. That was ~7 years ago, dawg. It was bad, but the part you completely ignore is that Hugh Freeze is extremely good at talking and selling himself. He is preacher-level good. So when you say it's going to be easy to negatively recruit against him, you ignore the fact that he has a say in the entire situation too and he can go into living rooms himself and shake and jive as good as anyone. Do you understand that he already has players from P5 teams transferring in to play for him at Liberty? Multiple players from Auburn and other SEC schools; he has a QB from Tennessee (Kaidon Salter), a QB from Utah who also started multiple years at Baylor (Charlie Brewer), etc, etc. So he has already proven and continues to prove that he can recruit past the "negative attention". If you were right, he wouldn't be able to do what he's already doing at Liberty. But you're wrong, that's the point. Hugh Freeze is an elite level recruiter and salesman. Guys like that can change peoples minds real quick, and that's what you don't appreciate.

Brian Kelly literally made a decision that led to a kid DYING during practice years ago and that man is currently recruiting and recruiting well at LSU. By the way, Deion Sanders allegedly choked his ex-wife and he's admitted to choking another man (D.L. Wallace) during his "Prime Prep" days. Do you notice that no recruit in the country seems to give a s*** about that? It doesn't sound nice, but most elite level recruits and their families aren't looking for the most Mr. Rogers-esque coach to play under. They want to win, they want to develop, they want to get paid, and they want to go to the NFL. 

People like you don't look through the eyes of an elite potentially impoverished inner-city football recruit, you attach your own values and beliefs and pretend they're universal. Oh no he DM'd someone suing who is Liberty! The horror! Do you understand that this is entirely a Twitter issue and has no football implications at all? I can guarantee you any amount of money that that "situation" means next to nothing in a recruit's living room. Literally none. That entire story went nowhere by the way because he didn't follow up with anything, and if you actually read the message he sent, he didn't even say or imply anything incriminating to the woman. So what you really have is an event that took place at Ole Miss ~7 years ago, and a non-story that took place this past year at Liberty.

I'm not claiming that this is a good man or that he isn't a risk to do something dumb, but I'm also not stupid enough to look past the fact that he is an elite level football coach and possesses all of the qualities that will work big-time at Auburn. He is a GREAT recruiter. He is GREAT with boosters and schmoozing with money men (hellooo...NIL?). On the field he keeps winning and he's doing it by taking crap jobs that are performing poorly and turning them around almost immediately. His football resume speaks for itself, but alas most AU fans wouldn't know a good coach if he smacked them upside the head. He is currently 7-1 at Liberty with a 1-point loss against a Top 15 Wake Forest team...while playing 3rd and 4th string QB's for basically the entire season lmao.

Also, he didn't JUST "beat Bama". He has beaten LSU - multiple times. Beat Auburn. Beat A&M - multiple times. He beat Kirby Smart at Georgia. He beat Mack Brown at Texas. He did this all at OLE MISS - a school that had won 6 games combined in the previous two years to him taking the job. He is 5-2 in Bowl Games. He beat Dan Mullen multiple times in the Egg Bowl. He has won SEC games on the road against bigger programs than his own.

And here's the kicker: he did that all without a Cam Newton or a Johnny Manziel. Who was his QB at Ole Miss? Bo Wallace? He came a hair away from beating three straight seasons. Nobody does that, especially at Ole Miss. And before anyone says Malzahn and how he beat Saban: it is actually AUBURN That has this magic quality of always being able to challenge Bama. It has nothing to do with Malzahn. You literally saw that last season as the worst AU coach of all time - Bryan Harsin - almost beat Saban and Bama. In fact he should have beaten them. Malzahn beating Saban a few times while at Auburn is not even remotely comparable to what Hugh Freeze did at Ole Miss. 

I'm not suggesting that Hugh Freeze should be anyone's top target or that he has no risk or that he should be given this job, but anyone who can't see his elite coaching resume and skillset knows next to nothing about football - point blank. He would absolutely kill it here at Auburn and would win 10+ games a year. This program is 10x stronger than Ole Miss, it's not even close.

People have already made up their minds about him, but I appreciate you. He would be fantastic at Auburn, and this is coming from me, an Ole Miss grad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I was pretty on board with Freeze until the whole text-the-victim thing was brought up. It was rightfully discussed how something like that could be even more trouble for a university. However, Liberty just gave him a nice little extension. I don’t see how a university would have done that unless they looked into that. So, I guess my question is…what gives?

That was overblown by someone who reads labels on shampoo bottles.  I don't see the problem there.

With Freeze you have to separate personal feelings about his actions and ethics with objective concerns about his questionable judgement. Imho I'm not a fan of getting on high horses and throwing stones. My personal feelings is that Hugh does this with his weird preacher schtick, and I personally don't approve of his prior conduct; however, I try to set both those things aside and look at it from a judgement perspective.

If you're a leader like Roberts or Cohen, your main concern should lie at the objective lapses of his judgement. Whether you care that he solicited hookers or not is a personal feeling, but the fact that he decided to solicit them via his school issue phone is objectively stupid. 

You can decide for yourself whether him direct messaging that young girl was appropriate, however, it is objectively stupid to contact the Plaintiff of a lawsuit against your employer. A fireable offense, really.

You can decide for yourself about your personal feelings on if his alleged actions back at the HS in Tennessee were appropriate, but from my understanding it looks like a murky exercise of judgement, at best.

His issue is that these lapses in judgement have occurred over a long period of time. It's not like he went through a bad 3 month stretch where he made some one off mistakes that were outliers to his overall record. His lapses in judgement have occurred over years. Hard for him to say he rehabbed his judgement for his lapses back in 2015 when he just committed another stupid mistake in the summer of 2022.

• Like 1
  • Love 2