Give me Mike Gundy and I’ll give you a natty

NES

Absolutely not. 

Gundy isn't a bad coach, but the man is an idiot and likes to go on weird political rants at press conferences which isn't something you want or need your head football coach to be doing.  

Edited by CoffeeTiger

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

I would not call the man an idiot. Sounds like he hurt someone's feelings.

However, as we have just experienced, the SEC is about recruiting. I am not sure I can trust a coach that has no SEC/Southeast recruiting experience again.

Therefore, that would be a no for me dawg.

Don’t need to worry about hurting his feelings. He’s a MAN!

• Haha 1

Gundy is where he needs to be. He’s at a program that’s fine being relevant every couple of years. Gundy isn’t going to elevate the program. We’d get Gus kinds of records out of Gundy, probably even a little worse.

21 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

If we’re now getting more creative and considering some outliers, I want to throw my resume into the ring.

I’ve successfully coached 3 years of church youth flag football (pro style offense), I got my undergrad at au and I have a son at uga so I have deep sec experience and connections, teenagers love me and my house has been used extensively for parties - I’d be a dynamic recruiter, and I’m organized, well spoken, and have a get it done attitude (PTB lumber guys love me). Oh, and  I’m very attractive which helps for public appearances. My terms: I’m cheap! No buyout, $5m/yr, 4 years and we’re good.

When we get to the M’s, I’d like my own thread for consideration. I’m liking my chances.

But are you vaccinated?

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

But are you vaccinated?

I have to travel overseas for work alot so…. Actually for this forum the right answer is I don’t remember. 

The sarcastic point I was making was that this is a true fresh start.  Imo We need to go big initially before we start rifling through the coaching Rolodex. To me there’s only 2 tier1 names: Prime and to a lesser degree CLK.  Discussing other options is interesting, but right now I’m hoping for defibrillators and not just first aid. 

What are we looking for because every candidate I hear has major flaws Lane, Freeze, Prime, Aranda head coaching record in his flaw, Deion is a top 3 all time favorite player of mine and I love is moxy, but please not as my head coach. War Eagle all in with whoever gets hired

I think we have a few better choices than Gundy. His biggest drawback to me is lack of SEC experience. But damn, guys, Gundy has done a hell of a job at Okie State. We could (and have) done far worse.  I'd like to see what he could do at a bigger program. He has a good eye for talent and punches above Okie States weight in recruiting, particularly at O-line.

16 minutes ago, WarTim said:

That’s enough of that …please

Genuine question.   

On 11/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, miscram6 said:

Mike Gundy is 3-14 all time vs. Oklahoma.  Honestly, I'm surprised that Oklahoma State hasn't fired him, already.

Not advocating for Gundy at all, but that series is 90-19-7.  Even having 3 wins against Oklahoma puts him on a short list there.  He delivered their first outright conference championship since shortly after WWII.  His overall record is outstanding for OSU, and he is an alum.

Again, I have absolutely zero interest in Gundy, but I can understand why they have not fired him.  The list of living OSU fans that have witnessed a coach even comparable to him grows shorter every year.  They really have absolutely no reason to believe that they could do better.

gundys record

Year

School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
18 Yrs Oklahoma State 226 155 71 0 .686 10.20 3.55       11
2005 Oklahoma State 11 4 7 0 .364 -6.28 1.72          
2006 Oklahoma State 13 7 6 0 .538 6.04 1.12       Independence Bowl-W  
2007 Oklahoma State 13 7 6 0 .538 6.67 4.06       Insight Bowl-W  
2008 Oklahoma State 13 9 4 0 .692 13.09 3.78   7 16 Holiday Bowl-L  
2009 Oklahoma State 13 9 4 0 .692 8.01 2.78 9 5   Cotton Bowl-L  
2010 Oklahoma State 13 11 2 0 .846 16.62 2.39   10 13 Alamo Bowl-W  
2011 Oklahoma State 13 12 1 0 .923 24.14 7.67 9 2 3 Fiesta Bowl-W  
2012 Oklahoma State 13 8 5 0 .615 13.50 4.96 19 18   Heart of Dallas Bowl-W  
2013 Oklahoma State 13 10 3 0 .769 16.83 3.76 13 6 17 Cotton Bowl-L  
2014 Oklahoma State 13 7 6 0 .538 1.10 3.49   15   Cactus Bowl-W  
2015 Oklahoma State 13 10 3 0 .769 8.50 1.57   4 20 Sugar Bowl-L  
2016 Oklahoma State 13 10 3 0 .769 11.16 1.70 21 10 11 Alamo Bowl-W  
2017 Oklahoma State 13 10 3 0 .769 13.09 3.02 10 6 14 Camping World Bowl-W  
2018 Oklahoma State 13 7 6 0 .538 6.82 3.67   15   Liberty Bowl-W  
2019 Oklahoma State 13 8 5 0 .615 7.39 3.46   21   Texas Bowl-L  
2020 Oklahoma State 11 8 3 0 .727 10.46 4.92 15 6 20 Cheez-It Bowl-W  
2021 Oklahoma State 14 12 2 0 .857 14.57 4.42   5 7 Fiesta Bowl-W  
2022 Oklahoma State 8 6 2 0 .750 11.95 5.45 12 7      

On 11/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, zeroforwinger said:

Kansas State 48

Oklahoma State 0

Plus he’s an idiot.

He’s an idiot because he didn’t pursue the Tennessee or other SEC job openings in the past 10 years 

The guy that has consistently failed to win the 1 game needed just as OKSt's path to a natty/playoff opened up multiple times in the last 12 years? That's who we need to get to a national title? Just got blanked by an unranked squad as the 9th ranked team? THAT GUY???

I don't even know if he'd make Auburn, Gus level, but I damn sure do know he would not make us a national title contender 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, NES said:

Mike Gundy is a proven winner at a step-sister program compared to OU. Regularly wins 10 games. Every 3-4 years makes a run at the playoffs. Develops players. Minimum drama. Finally, I’m a man statement — I love it. Nothing against Lane 0 personality; Nothing against Prime 0 power 5 experience; Nothing against Freeze 0  championships; Nothing against Aranda 0 to say look a Baylor now; give me Gundy and Auburn competes for championships every 3-5 years and are regularly good.

He's a very good coach but I knew the downvotes were coming at you. If you're not kissing Deion's ass, I'm sorry, "Prime's" ass, then nobody wants to hear or read about another coach. 

This fanbase is going to absolutely lose their marbles when we don't hire Deion Sanders. And it will be the same thing as always. They'll say that Deion was gonna take the job until a few boosters got in the middle and wouldn't allow him full control blah blah blah and the fanbase will all hate our boosters even more. In reality, he probably won't get a serious interview.  

• Thanks 1

Gundy is #22 on the current winning list of active coaches.  We just fired the dude at #20.  So if you want to go by that then there are better candidates on the list

Curt Cignetti who is #8

Chris Clieman who is #9

Lance Leipold who is #12.

Each of the above have over 10 years as an HC so to compare more fairly.  And unlike Gundy the above have been a HC at more than one place.

Oh and the above are paid way less than Gundy right now.  Leipold has rebuilt Kansas, Clieman rebuilding KS better still has a ways to go. Curt has built up 2 programs and improved his current one.  He has coached in the SE and has a NC Ring.  Don't know if he would want to move from his current gig or not.  I don't think we are considering him as he has moved his team to the sunbelt conference.

Oh not to mention Hugh Freeze who comes in at #21 even with his NCAA win removal...he has done a better job with a few less years...

Edited by AU_Tiger_88

On 11/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, sevenlee36 said:

You crazy. Fans don’t want a consistent proven winner they only want the flavor of the month. 

Well, many people pointed to BH as a "consistent winner" and we saw how that turned out. Has to be a fit.

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

LOL, Gundy has oil money boosters, and has had every opportunity in the world. This has to be a troll.

Possible reincarnation of an old poster is my best guess.