NCAA Banning Indian Mascots/Nicknames

Boonan

I've decided that I'm also offended by the San Diego Padres and the Providence Friars. As a Christian, I should not have to be subjected to having my religion used as a mascot. :rolleyes:

If ND doesn't change their mascot I may sue! As a person of Irish descent, I am offended that they would portray us as short, red-headed men who love to fight. I am 6'2" and blonde. And if they don't change their mascot I might just have to go to South Bend and whip someone! :big:

Our lone newspaper here in Tallahassee, the "Tallahassee Democrat" (no kidding) reprted this story: seems for the last 300 years Boston has had an ordinance on the books making it illegal for an indian to set foot in Boston. Suddenly, a month before Boston College joins the ACC (w/ the FSU SEMINOLES in it) Boston repeals this law that hasn't been enforced for over 100 years anyway. Reason? BC has made it known it joins in the outrage over FSU's mascot names and, uh, doesn't want to appear hypocritical. Hmmm. The Seminole Nation's chief (Chief Osceola, Jr....again, no kidding) accepted a fat check from FSU again this year for that school's right to use the Seminole name. Said Osceola, "it's positive for our tribe to be assicated this way w/ a winning program". Of course the Seminols Nation regularly still protests FSU football games. Why? The statue of an indian outside Joke-Campbell Stadium has a headdress on...and apparently REAL Seminoles didn't where headdresses. Hmmm.

Any twins out there want to boycott the Minnesota Twins?

Doesn't it seem like it should be a little more offensive to Native Americans to see the mascot name of "Cowboys" or "Sooners"? I hope FSU sues the pants off of the NCAA and everyone else steps up to the plate and backs them.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Doesn't it seem like it should be a little more offensive to Native Americans to see the mascot name of "Cowboys" or "Sooners"?  I hope FSU sues the pants off of the NCAA and everyone else steps up to the plate and backs them.

172914[/snapback]

Know any good lawyers, esquire?

A Navy officer told me the other day that he was offended by the Vandy Commodores. Not the name, but the team itself. :poke:

If you'd like to voice your opinion on this to the NCAA, you can contact them at:

The National Collegiate Athletic Association

700 W. Washington Street

P.O. Box 6222

Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

Hey! Back off of P.E.T.A.!

I am a proud membe of P.eople E.ating T.asty A.nimals!

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!"

Homer Jay Simpson :homer:

I don't know why they're trying to get FSU to change their name, I don't see anyway its offensive to the Native Americans. I mean it would be different if we had a teams nickname as a tribe name.

Archived