I am shocked... TSN voted

channonc

A lot of my family are from this area and don't understand the difference between northern/midwestern football, and the religion of football that rests in the South.

I am shocked that they were voted "best college town for football."

Iowa City voted best college football town in America

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 4, 2005

"The Sporting News" magazine has given Hawkeye football fans even more to cheer about, voting Iowa City the best college football town in America.

"Go ahead," Tom Dienhart wrote for TSN. "Call Iowa fans bumblebees. They'll shrug their shoulders, scream louder and hug their Hawkeyes tighter.

"That's what it's all about in Iowa City. Hootin'. Hollerin'. And most of all living and dying Hawkeyes football, all while decked out in black and gold."

On the magazine's best sports cities list, Iowa City ranked 49th best out of 388 cities nationally. But in college football, Iowa City was No.1.

"It's got a lot of appeal to a lot of people," University of Iowa sports information director Phil Haddy said. "I think it's deserving."

Iowa City is big-time on the football field even though it's one of the smallest markets in the country, Haddy said.

"The passion (Iowa fans) have for the football team, that's what makes it so special," he said.

Deinhart wrote "that passion and reverence is only part of why the crown of best college football city is nestled along the Iowa River."

Kirk Ferentz and his staff's coaching abilities over the past three years, including a 31-7 record and three consecutive January bowls, also were mentioned in the article about the rating.

Deinhart wrote that record puts the Hawkeyes in "college football's luxury suite."

To be considered, cities must have at least one NCAA Division I basketball team or a minor-league baseball team. A 12-month snapshot of the city is then taken, roughly from July to July.

Seven other Iowa cities were ranked Ames, 78th; Cedar Falls, 137th; Des Moines, 156th; Quad Cities, 206th; Cedar Rapids, 310th; Clinton, 340th; and Burlington, 369th.

It's the "goofy Hawkeye fans" who help make Iowa City special on football Saturdays and garnered the recognition, said Pat Foster, of Iowa City, first vice president of the National I-Club.

"That's the only way I can phrase it," he said. "It's the only show in town."

LINK

What about Oxford? If it wasn't for football, Oxford would suck.

I hate to admit it but Baton Rouge is a top notch place to go for a football game even with the morons that try to ruin the fun for opposing fans. Tailgating is taken to a whole other level in Red Stick along with the drinking, they sure do like their whiskey down in Southern LA. Besides Iowa football, what's in the Hawkeye state to do...corn mazes :huh: .

I'm sorry but LSU fans are not as bad as you guys make them out to be. Go to the LSU/Auburn game this year. I will bet you that if you go around the tail gating areas you will be invited to enjoy some canjun cooking. We always offer some good food to our visiting fans.

I'm sorry but LSU fans are not as bad as you guys make them out to be. Go to the LSU/Auburn game this year. I will bet you that if you go around the tail gating areas you will be invited to enjoy some canjun cooking. We always offer some good food to our visiting fans.

172734[/snapback]

Ya, I went to the UGA/LSU game in 2003.....was not fun (had a great time at the game though)

I have to admit Oxford is one heck of an atmosphere on Saturday afternoons during football season. Great food and beautiful women.

If Auburn is where the heart is Oxford is a good vacation home.

Archived