U.S. House overwhelmingly approves bill backing record military spending

Auburn85

There was a time we had a hot war in Afghanistan and Iraq at the same time. Now, we are no longer in hot wars, yet we continue to have a record "defense" budget.

And despite the continued record budgets, organizations such as Wounded Warrior Project are needed because I guess our government can't sustain that type of spending.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-backs-sweeping-defense-bill-voting-continues-2022-12-08/

WASHINGTON, Dec 8 (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives backed legislation on Thursday paving the way for the defense budget to hit a record $858 billion next year, $45 billion more than proposed by President Joe Biden.

The House passed the compromise version of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, an annual must-pass bill setting policy for the Pentagon, by 350-80, far exceeding the two-thirds majority required to pass the legislation and send it for a vote in the Senate.

The fiscal 2023 NDAA authorizes $858 billion in military spending and includes a 4.6% pay increase for the troops, funding for purchases of weapons, ships and aircraft; and support for Taiwan as it faces aggression from China and Ukraine as it fights an invasion by Russia.

"This bill is Congress exercising its authority to authorize and do oversight," said Representative Adam Smith, the Democratic chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, in a speech urging support for the measure.

Because it is one of the few major bills passed every year, members of Congress use the NDAA as a vehicle for a range of initiatives, some unrelated to defense.

This year's bill - the result of months of negotiations between Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate - needed a two-thirds majority in the House after disagreement from some House members over whether it should include an amendment on voting rights.

The fiscal 2023 NDAA includes a provision demanded by many Republicans requiring the Secretary of Defense to rescind a mandate requiring that members of the armed forces get COVID-19 vaccinations.

It provides Ukraine at least $800 million in additional security assistance next year and includes a range of provisions to strengthen Taiwan amid tensions with China.

The bill authorizes more funds to develop new weapons and purchase systems including Lockheed Martin Corp's (LMT.N) F-35 fighter jets and ships made by General Dynamics (GD.N).

The Senate is expected to pass the NDAA next week, sending it to the White House for President Joe Biden to sign into law.

However, the NDAA is not the final word on spending. Authorization bills create programs but Congress must pass appropriations bills to give the government legal authority to spend federal money.

Congressional leaders have not yet agreed on an appropriations bill for next year.

Edited by Auburn85

Military industrial complex bb. Hard at work making the rich, richer by blowing stuff up

• Like 2

"The U.S. House of Representatives backed legislation on Thursday paving the way for the defense budget to hit a record $858 billion next year, $45 billion more than proposed by President Joe Biden. "

Biden hates the military!  ;)

Edited by homersapien

On 12/9/2022 at 1:43 PM, Auburn85 said:

There was a time we had a hot war in Afghanistan and Iraq at the same time. Now, we are no longer in hot wars, yet we continue to have a record "defense" budget.

And despite the continued record budgets, organizations such as Wounded Warrior Project are needed because I guess our government can't sustain that type of spending.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-backs-sweeping-defense-bill-voting-continues-2022-12-08/

More money to military contractors.... one more group that feeds from the public with no accountability to speak of.

• Like 1

More proud of this thread than any on this board. 

Eisenhower 100% Spot on. The MIC is indeed running the show now. The war in Ukraine was an open secret in HSV months before it started. They were already hiring and stockpiling long before the Russians moved. Perpetual war is now the MIC Business Model...

On 12/10/2022 at 1:47 PM, homersapien said:

Well, I certainly don't begrudge supplying weapons to Ukraine.   Whatever it takes.

Having said that, we need to push for some sort of diplomatic settlement that addresses Russian access to Sevastapol.

On 12/13/2022 at 7:55 PM, homersapien said:

Having said that, we need to push for some sort of diplomatic settlement that addresses Russian access to Sevastapol.

Agree but,,, not sure Putin does.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, autigeremt said:

Eisenhower warned us all…..decades ago. 

Yes he did.  And,,, we not only ignored him, we allowed the very system of lobbying/graft to expand into every other aspect of government/private business associations.

Our government is for sale and,,, NOTHING changes until that fundamental changes.

I have mixed feeling re our military spending. 

One could argue that it's essential in winning the long term conflict between democratic and authoritarian governments - if not exactly a "pax Americana"

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

One could argue that it's essential in winning the long term conflict between democratic and authoritarian governments - if not exactly a "pax Americana"

There is certainly a portion that is essential.  However, I believe the problem lies in our distorted world view over the last century.  Everything we do is driven by economics (greed).  Our diplomacy has been so short sighted, so bad for so long.  It is why we require such a military, why we have people at the border, why we are creating a foe in China that has the ability to disrupt our lives.

We have been a very powerful country for a long time.  Our problems are of our own making.  We could do much better for ourselves and the world but,,, our religion is capitalism, our god,,, money. 

Greed rules all.  It's who we are.

The right wingers will tell you the problem is envy, not greed.  Well, envy isn't running this country.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:22 PM, icanthearyou said:

There is certainly a portion that is essential.  However, I believe the problem lies in our distorted world view over the last century.  Everything we do is driven by economics (greed).  Our diplomacy has been so short sighted, so bad for so long.  It is why we require such a military, why we have people at the border, why we are creating a foe in China that has the ability to disrupt our lives.

We have been a very powerful country for a long time.  Our problems are of our own making.  We could do much better for ourselves and the world but,,, our religion is capitalism, our god,,, money. 

Greed rules all.  It's who we are.

The right wingers will tell you the problem is envy, not greed.  Well, envy isn't running this country.

The problem is both........we envy the wealthy and become greedy in pursuit of wealth. 

• Facepalm 1

The U.S. military and federal industrial complex are some of the biggest money wasters in probably world history.  

Literally Billions of dollars..year after year after year, just disappear into a void that nobody can track or know where it all goes. 

Just about anyone whos spent time in Federal defense jobs or contractors can tell you stories about departments and people who had no real job and were paid forever to essentially just do 'nothing' ,  and about payments and projects to contractors who have no real purpose nor ever accomplish anything. Federal defense is one of the few areas of the country that gets funding and budget increases almost automatically by both parties without question, and it has to continuously be spending that money in one fashion or another so it can justify its own budget and justify asking for increases year after year. 

The military is only required to spend the money it gets. Nobody in our government requires them to spend it wisely or get results from it. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

4155 pages.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

This is one of my primary complaints with the way these slimeballs write legislation (note the lack of party designation, because they're peas in a pod on this)...stuff a bunch of unrelated crap into a bill that has some sort of name with emotional appeal, and if you vote against it because, hey, there's too much s*** in here, you're a fascist/racist/something-ist poopyhead.

$410 million to border security...for Tunisia, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and Oman.

Meanwhile, our own CBP can't use any of its allotted budget to increase its capabilities, other than to improve "processing."

image.png

Peruse below if you like. Maybe take some Tums first, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, homersapien said:

Sincerely homer, I no longer think that the MIC wants peace. I dont think it fits their business model since Bush43 launched his two forever wars in the ME.

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Sincerely homer, I no longer think that the MIC wants peace. I dont think it fits their business model since Bush43 launched his two forever wars in the ME.

So, is this another forever war as I don’t see an off ramp being mentioned?  I also don’t see any talk of one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, is this another forever war as I don’t see an off ramp being mentioned?  I also don’t see any talk of one.

Could be. I dont know. What defines the end of hostilities? What will Russia accept?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Could be. I dont know. What defines the end of hostilities? What will Russia accept?

Somebody is going to have to present a solution.  I’m not sure who the pressure is on to do such a thing.