Missing New Years Day bowl games

AURex

Back in the day, January 1 was a huge day for bowl games. New Years Day bowls ruled!

This time around, not one single big bowl game on New Years Day. A truckload on Saturday Dec 31, including the playoff semi bowls. On Monday, a bunch of bowl games. NONE on New Years Day.

Now, because NYD is on a Sunday, all we got is a batch of NFL games. For those of us who do not give a crap about NFL football, this pretty much ruins the traditional NYD football tradition.

Bummer

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Back in the day, January 1 was a huge day for bowl games. New Years Day bowls ruled!

This time around, not one single big bowl game on New Years Day. A truckload on Saturday Dec 31, including the playoff semi bowls. On Monday, a bunch of bowl games. NONE on New Years Day.

Now, because NYD is on a Sunday, all we got is a batch of NFL games. For those of us who do not give a crap about NFL football, this pretty much ruins the traditional NYD football tradition.

Bummer

I agree, but TV money talks. We'll be dealing with this every time New Year's Day falls on a Sunday.

It's unfortunate, but that's the business. What I hate most about the CFB Playoff is the NCG being on a Monday. Just play it next Saturday!! If I'm reading this correctly, NFL playoffs start on 1/15. There are ZERO NFL games on next Saturday 1/7. Play the NCG that night. That drives me up a wall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I agree, but TV money talks. We'll be dealing with this every time New Year's Day falls on a Sunday.

This (college football taking a back seat when 1/1 is on a Sunday) isn't a new phenomenon by any means.

Our Sugar Bowls against Michigan after the 1983 season and Florida State after the 1988 season, along with the rest of the traditional NYD bowl games at the time (Rose, Cotton, Orange, later Fiesta), were played on January 2 due to New Year's Day being on a Sunday in 1984 and 1989.

Happened in January of 1978 and 1995, too. The NFL conference championship games in 1978 were played on 1/1 (last year of the 14-game NFL season).

NFL has been king on Sundays, and don't figure that's going to change.

All of that said, I do miss the "good ol' days" of New Year's Day being the pinnacle of the season. It just seems like an afterthought now.

• Like 1