2023 Win Prediction Tracker

AUght2win

With so many ebbs and flows to the college football offseason now, the outlook for a season can change drastically throughout the year. 

I’ll give a prediction now, then probably revisit after more portal arrivals, spring, etc.

12/30/22: 8 wins not counting the bowl. We were better than 5 wins this past year and we have a much easier schedule in 23. UMass, Cal, Samford, Miss State, Vandy, and NM State should all be pretty bankable wins. Then we’ll take 2 from this group: LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. With a QB and a few more pieces we could easily get to 9.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

With so many ebbs and flows to the college football offseason now, the outlook for a season can change drastically throughout the year. 

I’ll give a prediction now, then probably revisit after more portal arrivals, spring, etc.

12/30/22: 8 wins not counting the bowl. We were better than 5 wins this past year and we have a much easier schedule in 23. UMass, Cal, Samford, Miss State, Vandy, and NM State should all be pretty bankable wins. Then we’ll take 2 from this group: LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. With a QB and a few more pieces we could easily get to 9.

Have to wait to see whose playin!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I can see this but with all that's happened we have to beat Ole Miss next year. If it's 9 wins that's great. I'll even trade a loss to Miss State (for my wife) to beat OM if it's going to be 8 wins. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I expect us to have an overall better team than Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State from the jump. All three of those programs are clearly trending the wrong way. 

It all depends on getting a quality Transfer QB and being able to rebuild offensive and defensive lines. But I am on board with the optimism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Have to wait to see whose playin!!

Agree. If we go into the season with what we have, I think 6 or 7 wins is the ceiling. We are looking better on the OL but we need a QB and linebackers… badly. 
We are still on Harsin probation. I think we are still short 15 players going into next season. Think about that. 

The upcomming season will be a year where we're replacing many components from the 2022 team. Are we better than some of the teams mentioned as wins? I don't know. I don't know their players, coaching, leadership, etc. and I don't listen or put too much weight into what I hear in the media to sway my thought process. So,I'm going to be a wait and see participant in this thread. The one thing I do know is I'll be in Jordan-Hare on Saturdays to cheer on the team.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

I think 8-4 is reasonable as we currently stand.  9-3 will likely be our ceiling for 2023.   We’re not going to get to uga and bama’s level, and LSU is ahead of us.   
However, just for fun….IF we crush the portal, along with a favorable schedule, and uga and bama both replacing QBs and other very important parts…..It’s not out of the realm of possibility for CHF to have some of that first year magic like Gus and Tot had.   It’s the off season.  We’re allowed to dream!😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think we will be better on the Offensive side of the ball next season. I'm VERY worried about our Defense. We lost a lot on an average at best defense this year. How do you make a run with an almost completely rebuilt Defense on the front end?  

Our secondary school be legit and if we get some edge rushers/linebackers our defense can keep us in games. Offense is another story unless we can shore up the offensive line. I think we can win with the qb we have if the Oline gets better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

I think we’ll be better. 8 wins might he a little much. I definitely wouldn’t bank Miss. St as a win. 7-5 would be my prediction, unless the roster gets some big upgrades. 

Why not? They’re replacing their school passing record holder, their top receiver, and an irreplaceable HC. Not to mention we almost beat them with an interim in Starkville. Playing them in JHS in 23 I love our odds.

Hard to predict anything right now.  We've got one good OL and DL at the moment. 

We're still missing quality OT, OG, OC.

• OT - I know people will try to sell me on one of the JUCO OTs, but I'll wait until they actually play to believe it.  JUCO is so hit or miss and it's not like they were the #1 OT and highly rated.  3* kid, 3-5.  Could play, could be like Brandon Coffey and never play, or be like Zierer and need 1-2 yrs to develop.  I'm not sure there is an OT on our roster ready to develop into a quality starter.  Colby Smith looked heavy footed and slow.  Harris might be a guard.  Any others?
  • OG - We're trying to get players so the coaches obviously thing there is a need.  I'd hope one of Stutts/Wright can be a contributor.  We've got a lot of bleh on the rest of the roster.  Smith/Harris could be a possibility, but a huge question mark.  Longo/Jernigan are question marks who seem to never have made any legit pushes in previous seasons.
  • OC - Tate was a nice story, but he needs to gain 30# at a minimum.  Could Wright or Stutts slide down?  Lew is currently undersized, but highly thought of....still scary to rely on a TrFr

If we can figure out the credits for the Stanford Transfer or the UF OT, then the UF OG and the Charlotte IOL....that's a damn solid improvement. 

We've got to add 2-3 more perceived starters in the next 3 weeks before there is much of any hope.

• DE/EDGE is nearly as terrifying as the OL.  I'm not sure we have single SEC quality DE/Edge player.  Brooks needs to massively develop.  He's small.  The Vandy transfer has some nice highlights, but was never really a contributor in 5 years.  A few Tr Freshman shouldn't be counted on.
  • NT/DT/DE - With Harris, Jones, M'ba, Walker, the JUCO transfer....we should be OK on the interior.  Need more depth, but not sure we're going to find transfers better than those guys.

Not sure what is really out there.

It's a lot to ask to fix the lines in 1 season.  HS class is a start for the OL.

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Without knowing the OL and DL makeup AND who the QB will be, i think its hard t pick the W/L with any hope of accuracy.  I'll say we can make 6-6 for now and will wait till I see the spring game and any updates for the QB situation.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, autan said:

I agree.  We've got a longer way to go than most people realize.

I actually believe the opposite. Harsin did the least you could with this program. We are better than the past two years’ record.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Ashford at QB =  6 wins

Transfer seasoned QB = 7-8 wins

Everybody writing Holden Geriner off. Why? He has the tools and may be farther along than people are assuming.

• Like 1

@Mikey

i hope HG can overcome the Ashford wildcat hype that so many have and CHF can get what we have to at least a 60% passing game.

• Like 1

Early to predict but with the favorable schedule 8, 9 wins with the possibility for more depending on how everything balances out.  I could see Auburn having a season similar to LSU or Ole Miss.  Good but lack of depth and years of playing together cost Auburn some wins.  I think one thing that gets neglected is the benefits of players playing together for several years.  Ole Miss paid big time for that last year.  Remember when SEC media picked Auburn to finish last and some (maybe Zeek Walker) said deez nutz?