question about a football position?

aubiefifty

i was reading an article that basically said coach freeze uses his tight ends in a hybrid role which apparently makes the position more attractive to tight en recruits? what does this mean? he is a tight end/receiver type role? i will hang up and listen and thanx.

43 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

what does this mean? he is a tight end/receiver type role?

Yes

• Like 1

I imagine it's something similar to how Shannon Sharpe made the h back role popular. I'm not saying strategically it's the same thing but the concept is probably similar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i was reading an article that basically said coach freeze uses his tight ends in a hybrid role which apparently makes the position more attractive to tight en recruits? what does this mean? he is a tight end/receiver type role? i will hang up and listen and thanx.

It means if we get Uzomah to come back to AU his talents won't be ignored forever. ;) 

• Like 3

All Tight Ends want to catch more balls and block less, that's the appeal with Freeze.

The tight end position by nature is a hybrid = offensive lineman + receiver.  As @cole256 points out, some coordinators see the hybrid tight end as more of a cross between a running back and a wide receiver (H Back).  I believe Freeze loves the severe stress a big fast TE puts on linebackers and safeties in the middle of the defense...a TE running the seam can be a matchup nightmare. 

Because he went to the same high school as my kids, I have always been a fan of the way Ole Miss used Evan Engram.  This is what I believe Freeze sees as the ultimate hybrid TE....

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 1

I think Georgia uses Brock Bower in a “hybrid” role.  A good hybrid TE is a difficult matchup for most defenders.  Too fast for linebackers and to big for safeties and corners.

• Like 1