2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Just a speed run of who I think we are still targeting and what there is left to fill.

Commitments (18):

1. 4* QB Walker White
  2. 5* WR Cam Coleman
  3. 5* WR Perry Thompson
  4. 4* WR Bryce Cain
  5. 4* WR Malcolm Simmons
  6. 4* OL DeAndre Carter
  7. 4* ED Jamonta Waller
  8. 4* DL TJ Lindsey
  9. 3* DL Malik Blocton
  10. 3* DL Dimitry Nicolas
  11. 4* LB Demarcus Riddick
  12. 4* LB Joseph Phillips
  13. 3* LB D'Angelo Barber
  14. 4* DB A'Mon Lane-Ganus
  15. 3* DB Jalyn Crawford
  16. 3* DB Kensley Faustin
  17. 3* DB Kaleb Harris
  18. 3* DB Laquan Robinson (#1 DB in JUCO)

Remaining High School Targets:

1. 4* RB David Eziomume - Clemson Commit - unlikely but pushing
  2. 2025 5* WR Ryan Williams - Alabama Commit - expected to reclassify
  3. 3* Favour Edwin - keeps delaying his announcement...
  4. NR OL Seth Wilfred - JUCO player I think we land if the staff likes what they see
  5. 4* Coen Echols - Texas A&M Commit - it seemed like we were trending but momentum has died down
  6. 5* DL LJ McCray - Florida Commit - I think this one comes down to the wire but I'm more optimistic than most on this one. Billy Napier is basically a lame-duck coach.
  7. 5* KJ Bolden - FSU Commit - I don't think KJ ends up at FSU. That said, it's likely us or Georgia.

Going to be a little portal-heavy again but the staff is focusing on a lot of guys in the portal that have 2+ years of eligibility to try to provide some more stability and long-term success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just a speed run of who I think we are still targeting and what there is left to fill.

Commitments (18):

1. 4* QB Walker White
  2. 5* WR Cam Coleman
  3. 5* WR Perry Thompson
  4. 4* WR Bryce Cain
  5. 4* WR Malcolm Simmons
  6. 4* OL DeAndre Carter
  7. 4* ED Jamonta Waller
  8. 4* DL TJ Lindsey
  9. 3* DL Malik Blocton
  15. 3* DB Jalyn Crawford
  17. 3* DB Kaleb Harris

4. NR OL Seth Wilfred - JUCO player I think we land if the staff likes what they see
  5. 4* Coen Echols - Texas A&M Commit - it seemed like we were trending but momentum has died down
  6. 5* DL LJ McCray - Florida Commit - I think this one comes down to the wire but I'm more optimistic than most on this one. Billy Napier is basically a lame-duck coach.
  7. 5* KJ Bolden - FSU Commit - I don't think KJ ends up at FSU. That said, it's likely us or Georgia.

Going to be a little portal-heavy again but the staff is focusing on a lot of guys in the portal that have 2+ years of eligibility to try to provide some more stability and long-term success.

I was watching the ON3 recruiting show the other night and the two tight ends referenced below were mentioned. What are Auburn's chances with either one, considering Collins will not be in the 2024 class.

On 12/4/2023 at 8:34 PM, ellitor said:

Can't comment on the who til they make a move.

That would kinda suck imo. RFw was the only pass-catching transfer pickup from last cycle that I wanted to keep. Guy's a physical specimen that I thought could really contribute and (hopefully) have an increasing role.

7 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I was watching the ON3 recruiting show the other night and the two tight ends referenced below were mentioned. What are Auburn's chances with either one, considering Collins will not be in the 2024 class.

I didn't include them because I don't believe we are going to have enough time to generate the traction needed for a flip. We are already aggressively targeting a few portal TEs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wde1968 said:

1 freaking 3* Olineman seriously here we go again. 

@wde1968 At least we have the portal. We would be 3-9 this year without it. Oh & DeAndre Carter is a 4*.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

1 freaking 3* Olineman seriously here we go again. 

I don't think anybody is happy with one high school OL right now.  A couple more is still a real possibility though.   However, you can't really compare our OL situation now to the one Freeze walked into when he came.  We have a pretty solid starting line coming back for next year, almost all of whom Freeze recruited.  The thing that drove me crazy before with the numbers is that pre-portal it was almost impossible to fix a breakdown in your offensive line pipeline.  If you didn't have quality guys on your roster to step in for the graduating seniors, you were screwed.  You just couldn't fix it with freshmen.   However, now with the portal, you can plug holes.  It allows you to be a little more selective with your high school offers. However, the portal situation  is different for us this year from last year.  While I'm sure we would love to cherry pick a guy or two who could start, our pressing need is for quality backups. That can be a tough commodity to come by in the portal, but Freeze will find a way.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, Zeek said:

Commitments (18):

1. 4* QB Walker White
  2. 5* WR Cam Coleman
  3. 5* WR Perry Thompson
  4. 4* WR Bryce Cain
  5. 4* WR Malcolm Simmons
  6. 4* OL DeAndre Carter
  7. 4* ED Jamonta Waller
  8. 4* DL TJ Lindsey
  9. 3* DL Malik Blocton
  15. 3* DB Jalyn Crawford
  17. 3* DB Kaleb Harris

McCray would be huge, but I keep hearing the paid sites bring up FSU as the favorite. Bolden would be huge!! And it would make more sense why we are slow playing DB transfers. 

But it's strange to me that we're slow playing other transfers. QB I get if the prices are too high and our top target got snatched by ND. But why not snatch the top Oline, Dline, LB, etc. before they're gone? 

Covington Catholic senior Willie Rodriguez 'fighting' for sister with neurological disorder every game

University of Kentucky football commit shares a special bond with his family

At 6 feet 5 and 235 pounds, Covington Catholic senior Willie Rodriguez is difficult to miss on the football field. The senior tight end/linebacker is one of Kentucky's top high school football players on one of the state's top teams (8-0) this season. He has a team-leading seven touchdown receptions.

By: Mike Dyer

Posted at 2:29 PM, Oct 16, 2023 and last updated 4:58 PM, Oct 18, 2023

PARK HILLS, Ky. — At 6 feet 5 and 235 pounds, Covington Catholic senior Willie Rodriguez is difficult to miss on the football field.

The senior tight end/linebacker is one of Kentucky's top high school football players on one of the state's top teams (8-0) this season. He has a team-leading seven touchdown receptions.

Recent Stories from wcpo.com

"He brings a big impact to our team on the field," CovCath coach Eddie Eviston said. "And I think sometimes that's obvious. But, even off the field - his leadership qualities. He's a guy that doesn't say much but when he does something people are listening. That goes a long way."

Rodriguez, 18, has a football skill set that speaks volumes.

He is verbally committed to the University of Kentucky with a dream of playing in the NFL one day. He is rated Kentucky's No. 7 best high school player overall in the 247 Sports Composite for the 2024 class.

Rodriguez enjoys the spotlight. Yet, he is also has a mature perspective on life.

"My family inspires me to play with that chip on your shoulder," Rodriguez said. "Just play as hard as I can everyday."

That relentless effort is fueled every Friday night in part by his younger sister, Gabby Rodriguez.

Gabby, 16, has Rett Syndrome, a rare neurological disorder which affects her cognitive level; she is nonverbal and unable to communicate consistently.

Gabby Rodriguez needs assistance in all aspects of her day from the moment she wakes up each morning.

"I always say that Gabby teaches us things - something that can't be taught in life," said Jody Rodriguez, who is the siblings' mother. "She truly has been a blessing to us and we try to focus on the positive of what she can do versus what she can't do."

Willie Rodriguez focuses on his sister's well-being at their Taylor Mill home. That includes helping Gabby at meal times, with walks outside or preparing for bedtime at night.

Willie, one of eight members of the family, carries those experiences with him onto the football field.

"Seeing that she can't do a lot of things that other kids can, I think (I'm) fighting on the field - that motivation that obviously she can't do it," Willie Rodriguez said. "As someone who can do it, again it puts a different perspective on what you do."

It's why Rodriguez understands his gifts as a student-athlete are blessings.

"We rely on our faith a lot," Jody Rodriguez said. "We go to church. We pray as a family. I think that is very important in any obstacles in life to have that faith to help get you through for sure and find that strength."

Provided

Covington Catholic senior tight end/linebacker Willie Rodriguez (left) said his family inspires him as a student-athlete.

Willie Rodriguez is often the first to volunteer for a project or task within the team. He is motivated to be kind to others in school.

"He will be the first to admit want to do something bigger and better," Eviston said.

Willie Rodriguez also understands he has a loving family at his games on Friday night. That includes his sister, Gabby, whose joy warms the hearts of those around her.

"She will look at Willie and just smile if he's in his uniform," Jody Rodriguez said. "Or she gets excited if we walk into the stadium. Sometimes you will definitely hear her scream in the stands and get excited."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

why we are slow playing DB transfers. 

@HAPvsOA We've offered at least a few the past day or so.

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

But why not snatch the top Oline, Dline, LB, etc. before they're gone? 

We have offered multiple guys at those positions except LB. At LB we only play 2 at a time & all of our LBs but 1 are returning, including our leading tackler in Asante. The hope is to get the Arky LB & be done there.

ETA: As paladin points out we have a helluva LB class coming in too.

• Like 1

We may have successfully shut down bama’s aggressive attempt to get Perry back on campus. Could still happen.

LJ is going to be tough to pull but I like the direction. Still a little upset we’ve lost momentum on Coen.

I think high school OL recruiting criticism is fair but E has pointed out a few times it’s a weak class.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

E has pointed out a few times it’s a weak class.

Yeah but even I'm disappointed. We are literally kicking ass or doing well at every other position except RB (no needs) & TE (small need). I understand Edwin wanting to wait on Bama, especially given their OL development this season, but I feel a real good recruiter would have gotten Edwin committed a while ago. We have to do better on the HS OL. Gotta knock it out of the park in 2025.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yeah but even I'm disappointed. We are literally kicking ass or doing well at every other position except RB (no needs) & TE (small need). I understand Edwin wanting to wait on Bama, especially given their OL development this season, but I feel a real good recruiter would have gotten Edwin committed a while ago. We have to do better on the HS OL. Gotta knock it out of the park in 2025.

For now, I'd just like to keep who we have. Thought UAT didn't want Perry anyways? 🙄

Edited by AUwent

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We may have successfully shut down bama’s aggressive attempt to get Perry back on campus. Could still happen.

LJ is going to be tough to pull but I like the direction. Still a little upset we’ve lost momentum on Coen.

I think high school OL recruiting criticism is fair but E has pointed out a few times it’s a weak class.

What about Amaris Williams?  IMO he’d be just as good of a get as McCray.  I know there has been a lot of talk from the UF side that it was not a matter of if but when he flips, and Auburn has seemed to be somewhat trending with him. 

I always thought Coen would be a hard pull.  Texas A&M is his legacy and from what I have read the big obstacle is him being so far from home at Auburn.  

What is the latest with Edwin after his Bama visit?  I haven’t really seen Bama peeps say much about him.  

49 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The intrigue for me is it seems clear than Bolden is recruiting McCray, but is it for AU or FSU? I got facepalmed on here for asking about Matt Luke, but I think he would clearly be a step up in regards to recruiting O Line. Edwin shouldve been closed weeks ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

What about Amaris Williams?  IMO he’d be just as good of a get as McCray.  I know there has been a lot of talk from the UF side that it was not a matter of if but when he flips, and Auburn has seemed to be somewhat trending with him. 

I always thought Coen would be a hard pull.  Texas A&M is his legacy and from what I have read the big obstacle is him being so far from home at Auburn.  

What is the latest with Edwin after his Bama visit?  I haven’t really seen Bama peeps say much about him.  

AU confidence falling while Bamas is rising fast.

28 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

@AEAugirl From me in the Edwin thread FWIW

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Edwin is likely trending Bama now, especially since they just lost their top OT target Jordan Seaton to Colorado.