Opening Weekend vs Indiana

4-2 top of the fourth.AU coming to bat 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Bugs Baseball .  A classic   and SOOO true.  LMAO

and this one  Locked down from embedding by Disney so you have to go to YouTube. 

this is a classic.   Goofy - HOW TO PLAY BASEBALL...

https://youtu.be/zNOkGT17KyY?t=23  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

Win is great. Day did not feel like baseball weather wise. Seems to be the rule opening day. Visiting Family in NOLA for the weekend. Internet and cable collapsed so missed most of the game. Cold and windy here. WDE!

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

• SaltyTiger changed the title to Opening Weekend vs Indiana
10 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Tigers won game two 6-1. 

Gonzo started, went five complete and threw just 41 pitches.  Crazy efficient for his first start of the spring.

I think Gonzo faced live batters for the first time this year 7 days ago because of tightness in his shoulder.   And, all he does is pitch 5 innings of shutout baseball including 12 ground balls.   Not a single pitch was barreled.   He could be Butch's next 1st round pitcher if his arm hold sup!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I just watched the post game video of Gonzo and Bobby P.   It shouldn't be lost on any of us that Butch is winning, big time, but doin g so with clean cut kids who stay out of trouble and are good Auburn men.   We don't have the cocky AZZ kids like UT last year. We don't have azz hole coaches like UT and Bama.   Our kids will not give an inch, but they approach the game the right way.   These kids/men are made in the image of our coaching staff and I, for one, am proud of that fact.

• Like 5

Game 2 looking good. In NOLA enjoying Mardi Gras sorta wishing I was at Plainsman Park 4-0 us to top 5th. Gonzales been outstanding so far……..and then internet collapsed. Finishing this hours later

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I just watched the post game video of Gonzo and Bobby P.   It shouldn't be lost on any of us that Butch is winning, big time, but doin g so with clean cut kids who stay out of trouble and are good Auburn men.   We don't have the cocky AZZ kids like UT last year. We don't have azz hole coaches like UT and Bama.   Our kids will not give an inch, but they approach the game the right way.   These kids/men are made in the image of our coaching staff and I, for one, am proud of that fact.

Butch's teams certainly do approach every game and opponent with absolute respect.  So much so that there was a time I thought they may be too unemotional...until Peirce hit the home run on Saturday night in Knoxville last year and Vitello gave them a reason to show their teeth.  These guys won't back down from anybody.

1t.png?w=650

• Like 1

Rough day at the park for game 3.  Tiger pitching got knocked around...Drew Nelson coughed up a hairball in his first career start.  Gave up a grand slam in the first (walked three battaers and hit another), was only able to get two outs before Butch had to pull him.  Bullpen wasn't able to stop the bleeding before it got out of hand.  Nate LaRue hitless in three games now.  Tigers lost 11-2.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Rough day at the park for game 3.  Tiger pitching got knocked around...Drew Nelson coughed up a hairball in his first career start.  Gave up a grand slam in the first (walked three battaers and hit another), was only able to get two outs before Butch had to pull him.  Bullpen wasn't able to stop the bleeding before it got out of hand.  Nate LaRue hitless in three games now.  Tigers lost 11-2.

if I remember correctly Nelson had an 0-2 count on the clean up hitter before he "brushed him."  It was a dad gum elbow pad brush which I don't think should be called a HBP.   For a HBP, there should be some pain!!!    But, more important, he was 1 strike away from getting out of the inning when he hit the elbow pad.  Next guy up was a close called ball with bases loaded so he had to throw a fastball, and the Indiana kid was all over it.  I hate is for Nelson.   Overall, we had 2 bad starts and 1 dominant start.   We saw some relievers who can pitch and some who struggled.   Nate looks lost at the plate despite his total remake -- opened up because of an eye dominance problem.   I think he went hitless for the series.   As good as he is defensively, we need a catcher who is at least a threat at the plate.  Ike may take over that role soon.   He is blistering the ball.  Ware looks to be the player we thought he could be.   As Butch says, the coaches make the first lineups, and the players make the rest.   We know more tonight than we did 2 nights ago.  WDE.       

48 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

if I remember correctly Nelson had an 0-2 count on the clean up hitter before he "brushed him."  It was a dad gum elbow pad brush which I don't think should be called a HBP.   For a HBP, there should be some pain!!!    But, more important, he was 1 strike away from getting out of the inning when he hit the elbow pad.  Next guy up was a close called ball with bases loaded so he had to throw a fastball, and the Indiana kid was all over it.  I hate is for Nelson.   Overall, we had 2 bad starts and 1 dominant start.   We saw some relievers who can pitch and some who struggled.   Nate looks lost at the plate despite his total remake -- opened up because of an eye dominance problem.   I think he went hitless for the series.   As good as he is defensively, we need a catcher who is at least a threat at the plate.  Ike may take over that role soon.   He is blistering the ball.  Ware looks to be the player we thought he could be.   As Butch says, the coaches make the first lineups, and the players make the rest.   We know more tonight than we did 2 nights ago.  WDE.       

LaRue hit a few balls straight to guys I feel he got unlucky. I will say I think there's more pressure offensively this year on LaRue because Irish looks like he is an option they can put at C if LaRue still struggles and if 1B struggles offensively and/or Ware regresses, where as last year the options at C to replace him weren't that great either and he was the only below average offensive player in the lineup, which was fine.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Butch's teams certainly do approach every game and opponent with absolute respect.  So much so that there was a time I thought they may be too unemotional...until Peirce hit the home run on Saturday night in Knoxville last year and Vitello gave them a reason to show their teeth.  These guys won't back down from anybody.

1t.png?w=650

Not a big fan of quoting self, but this guy doesn't deserve a separate thread. Vitello has been suspended by UT for violating NCAA rules.  Apparently goes back to the recruitment of the transfer SS from U Kansas.  Seems to be a bit of a pattern forming with this guy.  I'll go on record predicting this will be the second coming of Andy Cannizaro....