Pitchers dominate, Garcia shines in wins

Pitchers dominate, Garcia shines as Auburn softball team runs away with two more

Phillip Marshall
4–5 minutes

11631956.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Lindsey Garcia hit a grand slam and a two-run double Sunday. (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama – Through 3 ½ innings Auburn’s softball team was locked in a fight with Dayton. Auburn was locked in fight with Dayton. The Tigers had taken a 2-0 lead in the first inning, only to see the Flyers tie it in the second.

It seemed it was going down to the wire. Auburn coach Mickey Dean was concerned enough that, after starter Annabelle Widra gave up a leadoff hit in the top of the fourth, he went to ace Maddie Penta.

And then the fourth inning happened.

Bri Ellis and Aubrie Lisenby walked. Ellis was replaced by pinch-runner Abbey Smith. The pitcher’s spot was up. If Dean had pinch-hit for Penta, she could not have returned to the game. She went to the plate for the first time in her Auburn career and put down a sacrifice bunt to move the runners.

Denver Bryant hit a grounder to shortstop, scoring Lisenby from third. The shortstop booted it and, by the time the play was over, Smith had scored when home plate went unguarded and Bryant was standing on third.

Nelia Peralta singled home a run and Lindsey Garcia drove in another with a double over the right fielder’s head. The game was tight no longer. Auburn led 7-2 and went on to run-rule the Flyers 10-2 in five innings. Earlier in the day, Auburn beat Villanova for the second consecutive time, 9-3.

"We used four of our five pitchers, and everyone got an at-bat,” Dean said. “We gained some good experience today. I saw a lot of people doing a lot of good things. I didn't see a lot of people pressing. We had people willing to come into the game and be patient and get the job done, which you don't always see, so that was good."

Bri Ellis, who broke Auburn’s freshman record last season, led off with her first home run of the season, a booming shot to center. Penta batted again, missed on two bunts and drew a walk. She scored in Jessie Blaine’s triple to right-center. Blaine scored the game-ending run on a wild pitch.

For Ellis, it was a welcome relief when the ball sailed over the fence.

“Finally,” Ellis said. “Oh, my goodness. I felt like each at-bat was getting better. It was a little frustrating because it wasn’t going my way. Finally, it started to go my way and one finally went over the fence. I am happy that is over with and hope it can continue on.”

Penta got the win to improve to 5-0 and still has not given up a run this season. Widra pitched 3 1/3 innings, giving up five hits and two runs. She gave up no hits and struck out three in two innings.

Garcia and Ellis had two hits apiece for Auburn. Ellis drove in three runs and Garcia two to finish her big day.

“It was fantastic,” Garcia said. “It was so much fun. We trust each other. We are very comfortable with each other and know we have each other’s back, no matter what. I think this team is very special.  This team is ready to win and put Auburn completely on the map. This season is going to be something special.”

In the first game, Shelby Lowe got her first start of the season and her first win of the season. She gave up two runs, one earned, on five hits. Penta pitched two hitless innings, striking out five. Freshman Emmah Rolfe, giving up a run on no hits and three walks in the seventh.

Icess Tresvik hit her second Auburn home run. Peralta and Carlee McCondichie had two hits apiece.

1COMMENTS

Auburn improved to 8-1 and plays its final game of the Tiger Invitational on Sunday at 2;30 p.m. against Austin Peay.

secsports.com

No. 21 Auburn's offense contributes to run-rule wins

5–6 minutes

Tiger Invitational - Auburn, Alabama

1 day ago

Photo: Auburn Athletics

AUBURN, Ala. - Offense came to play on a chilly Friday night at Jane B. Moore Field as No. 21 Auburn softball (6-1) knocked off Austin Peay and Villanova with a pair of run-rule victories at Jane B. Moore Field to open the Tiger Invitational.

Plating eight runs in the second inning, Auburn routed Austin Peay (1-4) by an 11-1 final in the Tigers' opening contest. Sophomore Maddie Penta led the way in the circle against the Wildcats (4-2) to pick up the fifth shutout win of the season for the Tiger pitching staff. Senior Maia Engelkes came up with the walk-off fielder's choice as Auburn knocked off Villanova 8-0. Both contests ended in five innings.

"Offensively, we did a good job of moving our runners and getting clutch hits with runners on base," said head coach Mickey Dean. "I also thought all our pitchers did a good job today. They got settled in and started working ahead and so it was smooth sailing."

At the plate, Bri Ellis and Nelia Peralta led the offense as the duo both closed the night 3-for-4 at the plate. Peralta was one of three Tigers to record three RBI across Friday's doubleheader, joining Lindsey Garcia and Aspyn Godwin. Godwin, Garcia and Peralta all slugged home runs on Friday night.

Annabelle Widra earned the victory over the Governors to improve to 2-0. Widra allowed one hit and an unearned run over her three innings of work while striking out four. Emmah Rolfe and Icess Tresvik both toss scoreless frames in the win.

Penta was once again virtually untouchable in the circle. Over four innings of work, Penta fanned nine batters and allowed a lone hit. Shelby Lowe tossed the final frame, striking out two as she retired the side in order.

"I don't feel like I was at my best today, but this team was there for me," said Penta. "They had my back like they always do, so I knew we were ready to go."

Auburn continued its trend of first inning offense against the Governors. Peralta and Ellis set the table with a pair of singles. Aspyn Godwin put the Tigers on the scoreboard with her team-leading third home run of the season.

"This year, my main focus is to stay relaxed and stay confident and be there when my team needs me," Godwin said. "I saw that pitch right where I like it, and I took it for a ride."

Three straight singles from the bottom of the order set the table for the Tigers in the second. Peralta, Carlee McCondichie and Bri Ellis kept the hit streak moving as the trio connected with three straight singles to plate four runs.

Auburn took advantage of an Austin Peay miscue to scratch across the fifth run of the second inning before Garcia delivered the big boom with a three-run homer to right field to give Auburn an 11-0 advantage after two.

A pair of Tiger errors in the top of the third proved costly as the Governors manufactured an unearned run in the top of the third to cut the lead to 11-1. The Governors had another scoring chance in the fourth, but a heads up play from McCondichie to flip back to first on a pop up retired the side with a double play.

Tresvik entered the game in the fifth, tossing a perfect frame to freeze the Governors and preserve the 11-1 victory.

First-inning offense came into play against Villanova during Friday's nightcap. Perata led of the game for the Tigers with a solo home run.

KK McCrary plated the second run of the game all by herself. After leading off the second inning with a single, McCrary swiped second before taking third on an overthrow to the bag. She'd come around to score on a wild pitch. Tresvik extended the lead to 3-0, driving in a run off a ground ball to short.

The Tigers broke up the scoring in the bottom of the third. McCondichie led off the inning, legging out a bunt single back to the circle before advancing to second on an errant throw. Ellis drove her in with a single to left.

Using a fielder's choice and a pair of singles to load the bases, Jessie Blaine traded another out for run on a grounder to second. Making her return to the lineup during Friday's doubleheader, Denver Bryant pushed the lead to 7-0 as she cleared the bags with a single to right center.

Leading off the bottom of the fifth with a pair of singles to move the winning run into scoring position, Engelkes drove a ball to third base. The Wildcats tried to make the play at the plate, but Garcia scored safely as the Tigers walked off their third consecutive walk-off victory.

Auburn returns to the diamond on Saturday with a doubleheader slate against Villanova and Dayton. First pitch is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. CT. Both contests are available on the SEC Network+.

• WarTiger changed the title to Pitchers dominate, Garcia shines in wins

Apparently the situation with Penta batting came up because the pitcher position had been in the batting order.  It seems that Dean could have avoided that by changing the lineup to put in a DP when he replaced Widra with Penta.  I know that pitchers can leave the game and come back in, because it's been done against us, notably by UT.  Would welcome a comment from someone who understands lineup changes better than I.

It was a fun weekend for Auburn softball!  But they had their hands full with Austin Peay today.  AP was able to hit Penta's pitches (I think both teams ended up with 8 hits for the game).  Auburn lucked out when AP's right fielder mishandled a Jesse Blaine hit at the wall that ended up driving in several AU runs and was an inside-the-ballpark home run for Blaine.  The game was much closer than the score reflects.  

Glad the team is confident and optimistic - I hope they're prepared for the (much) higher level of competition they'll face when they get into SEC play.  Would love to see them at the top of this list when the regular season ends...

SEC 2023 Pre-Season Coaches Poll:

1. Florida
  2. Tennessee
  3. Arkansas
  4. Alabama
  5. LSU
  6. Georgia
  7. Kentucky
  8. Missouri
  9. Auburn
  10. Ole Miss
  11. Mississippi State