Softball vs Austin Peay 2

I mentioned first time I saw Tresvik at bat, she looks like a big time softball player. She now has 3HRs this year. 

Blaine clobbers the ball hard and deep. Hits RF in head trying to catch it and Blaine covers them all for INSIDE THE PARK HR!! 5-1 Auburn

2 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Hope AP's right fielder is OK.

Shoulder or head?

Did Maddie start? I see they had 4 hits and a run.  So curious if off her. 

She gets a strikeout though. And Auburn coming to bat. No runs. 

According to LiveStats, Penta has pitched the  whole game.  Incredibly. AP got 4 hits off her in the first inning, leading to their run.  At the time I checked, Maddie had thrown 64 pitches, 54 strikes.

Widra came in to relieve Penta in top 5.  Gave up a single, then Osowski hit into a 6-4-3 DP, and Campbell struck out. Going to bot 5 with Ellis, Blaine, Godwin due up.

Neither team did anything in the 6th.  Packer in CF for us as the 7th starts, Tresvik moves to left.  Widra still pitching.  AP gets a single, then a force at second.  One out, runner on first.  Oops!  Single by Hodum, and Weinzappel coming up.  She has 2 of AP's hits today.  But this time, she lines out to Peralta.  One more out needed, runner on first and second.  Now Osowski flies out, and the game is over.  5-1 Auburn.  Austin Peay scrappier than I expected today.  Each team with 8 hits.   Austin Peay committed no errors to help us out.  The big difference was the IP homer by Blaine, when the ball hit the RF in the head/shoulder.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

Based on the first game, we may have expected to run rule Austin Peay but the starting pitcher (Benefiel) had not pitched in the first game.  She is by far their #1 with ERA 2.9 compared to first game pitchers Miener at 11.16 and Martin at 5.48.  This season, Benefiel has pitched 3X the innings of the next most active pitcher.  I thought she was fairly effective and their hitters did a good job of making contact. Maybe not Pentas best stuff but mama said there would be days like this. Looking at the brief game review on the AU Softball site I believe the Blaine "HR" actually went over/behind the glove of the outfielder, hit in the crack and angled off sharply to her left.  Very good all out effort by Blaine.  Looking at a couple of plays at 1st base (tried to freeze the action), they were very close, and we may have been fortunate to get the call.  Not saying they were wrong, but to me they could have gone either way.  The 1st base coach did not appear to disagree with the call.

19 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Based on the first game, we may have expected to run rule Austin Peay but the starting pitcher (Benefiel) had not pitched in the first game.  She is by far their #1 with ERA 2.9 compared to first game pitchers Miener at 11.16 and Martin at 5.48.  This season, Benefiel has pitched 3X the innings of the next most active pitcher.  I thought she was fairly effective and their hitters did a good job of making contact. Maybe not Pentas best stuff but mama said there would be days like this. Looking at the brief game review on the AU Softball site I believe the Blaine "HR" actually went over/behind the glove of the outfielder, hit in the crack and angled off sharply to her left.  Very good all out effort by Blaine.  Looking at a couple of plays at 1st base (tried to freeze the action), they were very close, and we may have been fortunate to get the call.  Not saying they were wrong, but to me they could have gone either way.  The 1st base coach did not appear to disagree with the call.

That play by Blaine was definitely missed and went away from the outfielder with Blaine being aggressive as she always is.  Blaine clobbered it, got there quickly along with the sun, so the fielder missed it; but she was definitely there in position to catch it.  I believe it was 2 outs. 3-run homer, so talking about a 1 run game without. It was good to have a closer game though.