Mark My Words -- NCAA Tournament Edition

Rednilla

I've got a feeling we make the Sweet 16. I don't know that we get past that point, but so long as we make it out of round 1, I think we can hang with Houston.

Everyone go ahead and give whatever pre-tournament thoughts you might have here. Bolder prediction than mine? Let's hear it!

MMW - Bama burns out in the Sweet 16, too.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

MMW...

-#10 Utah State makes the elite 8 beating #2 Arizona enroute.
-#6 Kentucky beats #3 Kansas State and #2 Marquette to make the elite 8 (then loses to Duke)
-#4 UConn goes on a tear and beats KU, Gonzaga/UCLA, to make the final four

That enough to make a fool of myself for one post

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I've got a feeling we make the Sweet 16. I don't know that we get past that point, but so long as we make it out of round 1, I think we can hang with Houston.

Everyone go ahead and give whatever pre-tournament thoughts you might have here. Bolder prediction than mine? Let's hear it!

i got a hundred bucks that says that does not happen. of course i would love to see them make it. houston is already crying cus auburn is playing in birmingham.

If AU can beat Iowa, we have a chance to go till we meet a team with tall guards. We're not dead even then , if a shot or two actually goes down. Arizona is a sleeper for it all if they get past the first game. Uat is the best team in the nation when they shoot threes well. We will see.

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

4 UConn goes on a tear and beats KU, Gonzaga/UCLA, to make the final four

That enough to make a fool of myself for one post

I'll make a bigger fool.  UCONN one and done.  Gets bounced by the 13 seed. 

Cajuns beat UTenn.

Auburn vs TAMU for Final 4 berth. 

Auburn makes it further than Bama (please be true 😆

If Auburn loses to Houston, Houston wins it all in Houston.  

Iona (Rick Pitino ring a bell?)  beats UConn and makes it to sweet 16 against Kansas

Greater than a 4 seed wins it (unless the Hou stip above) 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i got a hundred bucks that says that does not happen. of course i would love to see them make it. houston is already crying cus auburn is playing in birmingham.

Call it a hunch. We'll all see if it plays out this weekend.

39 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'll make a bigger fool.  UCONN one and done.  Gets bounced by the 13 seed. 

It's completely possible. I do research out the wazoo and watch games all year and my wife beats me by picking teams by her favorite colors. I dont even know why I do this anymore...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Call it a hunch. We'll all see if it plays out this weekend.

i was bluffing anyone...........grins

4 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

It's completely possible. I do research out the wazoo and watch games all year and my wife beats me by picking teams by her favorite colors. I dont even know why I do this anymore...

Unbelievable. My wife never watches any basketball but AU. She kicked my tail in the bracket last year. She wouldn't even do it this year. She said it was too easy.   😑

• Haha 1

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

Unbelievable. My wife never watches any basketball but AU. She kicked my tail in the bracket last year. She wouldn't even do it this year. She said it was too easy.   😑

I'm convinced knowledge can be a detriment at times when it comes to brackets. There's just an unpredictable nature you can't see past when you've watched enough basketball. We've lost the gift to predict truly unbelievable things, but our wives don't know any better 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Lady luck

As I'm sure many of you did, I watched the Houston vs Bama game earlier in the year. It was the most physical game I saw all year and should have been played in pads. If we do get to play Houston then we need to show up in our best big boy britches with pads and compete for rebounds (which we have not done well in key losses). Houston's guards double and play tight defense on the opponent's guards. Pressure has not been well received by our guards this year. Have to hope for our best team performance if we get a chance to play Houston. Keep Broome out of foul trouble and hit our foul shots. Pray for some AU 3 pointers and hope that our guards play smart and disciplined. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

As I'm sure many of you did, I watched the Houston vs Bama game earlier in the year. It was the most physical game I saw all year and should have been played in pads. If we do get to play Houston then we need to show up in our best big boy britches with pads and compete for rebounds (which we have not done well in key losses). Houston's guards double and play tight defense on the opponent's guards. Pressure has not been well received by our guards this year. Have to hope for our best team performance if we get a chance to play Houston. Keep Broome out of foul trouble and hit our foul shots. Pray for some AU 3 pointers and hope that our guards play smart and disciplined. 

Gotta hope our ball handlers have a much tighter handle than usual. Wendell is fine, Tre rarely just gets ripped. KD gets himself caught sometimes but he rarely gets it stolen from him. Zep and Flanigan scare me dribbling against the scout team 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gotta hope our ball handlers have a much tighter handle than usual. Wendell is fine, Tre rarely just gets ripped. KD gets himself caught sometimes but he rarely gets it stolen from him. Zep and Flanigan scare me dribbling against the scout team 

WG can be fine as long as he isnt being pressured and trapped. KD has other ways of turning the ball over. Like dribbling into a forest of players a foot taller than him and jacking up a shot with no prayer, or just throwing the ball to the other team randomly. I can't name a single guard we have who excels at ball security. 

20 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

WG can be fine as long as he isnt being pressured and trapped. KD has other ways of turning the ball over. Like dribbling into a forest of players a foot taller than him and jacking up a shot with no prayer, or just throwing the ball to the other team randomly. I can't name a single guard we have who excels at ball security. 

Or the patented leaning into contact but not getting a foul call.  Seriously think the refs had conversations about KD this past offseason.  Stuff he got called his whole career practically nonexistent this year

18 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Keep Broome out of foul trouble and hit our foul shots. Pray for some AU 3 pointers and hope that our guards play smart and disciplined. 

I would add Jaylin to the list of keeping out of foul trouble, and he needs to be on for us to have a real chance. If he's making it from deep, at least one of the guards is making it from deep, and we keep Broome out of foul trouble, that's our best formula for beating Houston.

Should we advance, of course, which is hardly a given.

• Like 1

Watched the Pitt and Moo State game last night. Those refs really let them play. Some questionable calls, but, for the most part they let them bang around a little without getting too whistle happy. Hope that works in our favor with how aggressive our defense will need to be against better offensive teams, which Iowa and Houston happen to be. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Watched the Pitt and Moo State game last night. Those refs really let them play. Some questionable calls, but, for the most part they let them bang around a little without getting too whistle happy. Hope that works in our favor with how aggressive our defense will need to be against better offensive teams, which Iowa and Houston happen to be. 

We have done better in situations where they can just play.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I would add Jaylin to the list of keeping out of foul trouble, and he needs to be on for us to have a real chance. If he's making it from deep, at least one of the guards is making it from deep, and we keep Broome out of foul trouble, that's our best formula for beating Houston.

Should we advance, of course, which is hardly a given.

Jaylin needs to play both halves of the game(s) we have left.  Tired of seeing him play lights out the first half and disappear the second or vice versa.  I think he could be the spark we need if he'd stay aggressive for 40 minutes.

• Like 2

We either get blown out by Iowa by like 17-23 points or the opposite of what has happened all season occurs because crazy things happen in march and we actually make the critical needed plays in the clutch and win close games vs Iowa AND Houston and make the sweet 16.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We either get blown out by Iowa by like 17-23 points or the opposite of what has happened all season occurs because crazy things happen in march and we actually make the critical needed plays in the clutch and win close games vs Iowa AND Houston and make the sweet 16.

I’ve lived these fantasies all year

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I’ve lived these fantasies all year

Hey man it’s all we got this season!!! But after seeing how Mississippi state season ended last night which was a perfect microcosm of their season. It ending on a wide open missed 3 with them being the worst 3 point shooting team in all of college basketball this year. Not even hyperbole they were 363 out of 363 teams. Our season is most likely going to end in a close loss with Wendell missing another potential game winning or tying shot… 😭😭

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Sad 1