Ricky raves about Ronnie...

Raven_tiger

Kudos from Ricky.

Three days into training camp, Miami Dolphins first-round draft pick Ronnie Brown is already winning raves - from Ricky Williams, no less.

Brown reported Monday after ending a three-week holdout, and teammate Williams likes what he sees from the rookie running back.

"When he first got drafted, you hear people wonder why you'd take a No. 2 (overall) pick for a guy that didn't even start in college," Williams said Wednesday. "But seeing him out there, there is really nothing that isn't wonderful about him.

"He's got size, he's got quickness, he's got great feet, he's smart and he's strong. Looking at him, I definitely see why they used a No. 2 pick on him."

Brown shared playing time at Auburn with Cadillac Williams, also a top-five draft pick. Now Brown will compete for playing time with another Williams, 2002 NFL rushing champion Ricky, who is coming back from a one-year retirement.

Brown will likely start the opener Sept. 11 against Denver because Williams must sit out the first four games of the season for violating the league's drug policy.

Williams said he wants to help Brown succeed.

"I think him being here has motivated me to work a bit little harder in practice to be a good example, not just to him, but to all the younger guys on this team," Williams said.

Brown missed the first two exhibition games before he signed a five-year, $34-million contract. Coach Nick Saban said he's leaning against playing Brown in Saturday's exhibition game at Pittsburgh.

"Its more coming to terms as to whether its worth it," Saban said. "On the one hand, we dont practice a lot on Friday, he doesnt play on Saturday and were off on Sunday, (so) he has missed three developmental days.

"And then on the other hand, if we play him in the game and he gets hurt, you all crucify me - Why did he play in the game when he has only been to practice four days? But he could get hurt in practice, too."

The Dolphins broke camp Wednesday, a week earlier than scheduled. The team will forgo two-a-days the remainder of the preseason.

"Were just changing the schedule to be a bit more player-friendly," Saban said. "For the next week, we are going to change to more of an in-season schedule, but it is not totally in-season in terms of how we go about our practicing. Our emphasis is still going to be on the development of players and competition between our players."

Archived