Is the currently predominant “Social Justice” framework counterproductive?

I believe there are longstanding systemic injustices in our society (and other Western societies) that continue to negatively impact people of color, and black people in particular. It’s counterproductive to not recognize that fact. But once you recognize it, what then? What’s the best course? What ultimately has the greatest likelihood to address the problem? 

754D8879-6962-41D8-8788-D2D17BC670E8.jpeg

45 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

754D8879-6962-41D8-8788-D2D17BC670E8.jpeg

I don't think anyone should feel guilty or ashamed for how society developed, but they should be aware so they can help correct it.

They should feel guilty or ashamed if they refuse to even consider it.

• Like 7

Interesting article. I agree there’s been an over reaction to the extremeness of Trump & MAGA. The current “social Justice” mindset tends to over complicate and over simplify at the same time. Effective therapy focuses on an individual empowering themselves to take steps and make decisions to improve their lives. This requires an honest assessment of what they are doing that needs to change. I read another article a while back about young therapists increasingly seeing their patients problems primarily through the lens of an oppressive society that resigns them to permanent victimhood which makes it hard to do much other than empathize.

Critics of this ideological turn have no trouble acknowledging that systemic racism, homophobia, and sexism exist, and that patients may be damaged by these forces. “Of course oppressions exist, of course unfairness,” says Carole Sherwood, a psychotherapist in the UK who has studied the impact of social justice on the field. But, she adds, “The whole idea of identity politics doesn’t fit with therapy because we look at individuals, we look at unique individuals. We don’t group people. The minute you start grouping people and slapping labels on them, you’re making assumptions.”

“Psychology, and especially clinical psychology, is oriented to the individual,” said Tab Shamsi, a clinical psychologist at the University of Chicago who has written about his field’s ideological shift. “But a lot of this social justice ideology isn’t concerned about the individual.”

Counselors steeped in this ideology may assume that systemic racism—rather than, say, destructive habits or distorted thinking—is the source of depression for all patients who are racial minorities. Or that discrimination and stigma (known as the “minority stress model”) rather than concurrent mental health issuesare to blame for a young person’s gender distress.

Critics of the CSJ approach are concerned that therapists then focus on forces outside the client’s control, rather than empowering the patient to make positive personal change.

The point of therapy is for clients to “develop more insight into what is troubling them and be able to live more resourcefully,” says UK-based psychotherapist Thomas. “The problem with critical social justice–driven therapy is that there’s only one way of understanding the client’s difficulties. And that understanding is: you are operating in a sort of nexus of oppressed or oppressor groups in society.” 
https://www.thefp.com/p/how-therapists-became-social-justice-warriors

• Like 2

• TexasTiger changed the title to Is the predominant “Social Justice” framework counterproductive?

This is just more media to rile up a certain group. Most normal or I guess a better word is average black person don't feel anybody should feel guilty. But they feel like certain things should be acknowledged.

Where people are really falling short though is expecting other people to be empathetic, or to do the right thing......unfortunately that's not going to happen too much. 

I've grown to realize to expect a fight basically. If you stand up for yourself or point out things that's not fair expect a fight. I guess it's just natural, if you point out to ANY group the advantages they have they are naturally going to fight to keep those advantages. It's sad but imo it's the truth.

• Like 4

Just now, cole256 said:

This is just more media to rile up a certain group. Most normal or I guess a better word is average black person don't feel anybody should feel guilty. But they feel like certain things should be acknowledged.

Where people are really falling short though is expecting other people to be empathetic, or to do the right thing......unfortunately that's not going to happen too much. 

I've grown to realize to expect a fight basically. If you stand up for yourself or point out things that's not fair expect a fight. I guess it's just natural, if you point out to ANY group the advantages they have they are naturally going to fight to keep those advantages. It's sad but imo it's the truth.

Is one group “advantaged” or are multiple groups “disadvantaged?” What I mean is many things (not all) currently referred to as “privilege” are really just being treated fairly whereas everyone isn’t treated fairly. If fairness is the baseline and folks aren’t treated fairly they are being disadvantaged. That was the framing 30-40 years ago and most people responded more favorably to it. For example, if white folks are given a loan interest rate with a 750 credit score and a black person with that same score is offered a higher rate, is the white person privileged if that rate is set on metrics for loan recipients with that score or is the black person disadvantaged, ie, treated unfairly, if they are given a higher rate?

• Like 1

• TexasTiger changed the title to Is the currently predominant “Social Justice” framework counterproductive?

If we choose to look forward from today as one-people we can overcome anything. The powers that be won't let it. Too much advantage in keeping the populace divided. Once you place blame on people who have no direct control over the transgression you create controversy and pushback. You also create division and segregation. It's happening all around us. The country is being torn apart. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

If we choose to look forward from today as one-people we can overcome anything. The powers that be won't let it. Too much advantage in keeping the populace divided. Once you place blame on people who have no direct control over the transgression you create controversy and pushback. You also create division and segregation. It's happening all around us. The country is being torn apart. 

The powers that be won't let it.  

Seriously?  That's a nihilistic perspective that totally abdicates one's responsibility as a citizen in our democracy. 

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

The powers that be won't let it.  

Seriously?  That's a nihilistic perspective that totally abdicates one's responsibility as a citizen in our democracy. 

May be an image of 6 people and text that says 'Democrats: It's the Republicans' fault! Republicans: It's the Democrats' fault! Me: YOU ARE ALL EQUALLY WORTHLESS'