Navy Knew Early That Sub Disintegrated

I'm a Navy guy and I'm sure there is a reason but I don't understand why the Navy waited until today to say they knew a few days ago the Ocean Gate sub had failed. I recognize it's a secret capability but it isn't any more. What difference does a few days make when all the drama and rescue efforts/assets could have been avoided.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-top-secret-acoustic-system-day-vessel-went-missing

27 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I'm a Navy guy and I'm sure there is a reason but I don't understand why the Navy waited until today to say they knew a few days ago the Ocean Gate sub had failed. I recognize it's a secret capability but it isn't any more. What difference does a few days make when all the drama and rescue efforts/assets could have been avoided.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-top-secret-acoustic-system-day-vessel-went-missing

That's not SOP for SAR. You hope for the best.

Even if you pick up a “crushing” sound in roughly the right location, that doesn’t mean you just call off the search and say they’re dead.

Could have been plenty of other stuff like ships in the area, anomalies, sensor malfunctions. Again, hope for the best. 

It's useful, but it’s just not enough to stop the effort until they’re confirmed lost or too much time has passed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

There was no way to immediately verify that the sound came from the sub. Certainly it was a valuable data point, but as Dub said, search until you know for sure. 

As for keeping it quiet - announcing to the world that you think they're probably dead would not be a great decision. It would be irresponsible, and cruel to the friends/families (who would still have hope), particularly if you end up being wrong. It would also cause much of the public to criticize the time, effort, and money spent to try rescue them, as you did.

depending on thermal layers the Navy may or may not have heard much. I guarantee that the signature of the event was known almost immediately if they heard it. With Sossuss, they likely heard it. Only thermal layers stood in the way. We can clearly hear biologics underwater.

It turns out that the Navy did notify the Coast Guard of their findings. That's good. and I agree there was no point in making it public at that time since they decided to continue the search and rescue operation. My only question now is why did the Navy elect to expose a secret capability after it was over. 

32 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Just read it. Where did he mention race?

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Just read it. Where did he mention race?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

He's right. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I agree with him that the media is a threat to democracy but not for the reason he mentions.   It is rich that Barack is speaking out about inequality while traveling in Greece.   Lastly, maybe the disparity in media coverage is because ships sink much more frequently than subs implode and folks have a natural curiosity about events that happen literally once every 30-50 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps it was just an interesting story?  It was far from the norm and a mystery at the time.   Not really anything nefarious.  MH370 was all over the news for weeks and was quite ethnically diverse - also a mystery.

Don't think this was anything but that.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:45 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

HA! Oh look! Son of A Grand Wizard is here, everyone. 

You're one to talk, Mr. "This report isn't credible because a foreigner wrote it". 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

This gif is losing its influence. 

Hilarious show. I’ll use this gif until the day I die.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Son of A Tiger said:

It turns out that the Navy did notify the Coast Guard of their findings. That's good. and I agree there was no point in making it public at that time since they decided to continue the search and rescue operation. My only question now is why did the Navy elect to expose a secret capability after it was over. 

hey man as an aside i worked for the chief of naval operations. he had a personal briefing room and he came in most times about once a week or more often if something was going on. no kidding. we were right around the corner from hi personal office. but of course we never spoke. he might nod his head but i thought you might find that cool. op64 ncsc.pentagon. i was a high school drop out too. i did get my ged and almost two years of community college. anyway we both are squids huh? grins

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, AUDub said:

ok i gots to know so i am asking. what is the top speed on your corndog?

• Haha 1