Lowder Causes Boycott of AU Football Game

LegalEagle

Here's a word from the organizer:

http://www.al.com/opinion/birminghamnews/i...4700.xml&coll=2

To make sure no one goes into the stadium, mail your Bammer tickets to me for proper disposal. *grin*

PT - mark your tickets - I'd like to know what yard line you sit on! *grin*

Huh? He thinks I would want to sit out a game? An Auburn FOOTBALL game? That's not happenin sorry. I think I'll take out my anger/ frustrations/rebelliousness by NOT going to... gymnastics, golf, softball, etc..There, that's three sports that I promise I will not go to the meet/match/game/whatever. YEAH! take that Lowder!

That would certainly be a left-wing approach that would hurt team morale. Could you really imagine a game with only visitors in the stands?

Can you say DOOMED to fail.

How stoopid is this guy? Boycott my Tigers? WTHeck for? What did they do?

No, Sir. You want to get rid of Lowder?

First, make sure you can cover the funds he donates every year. Like it or not, the funds he donates give him a voice.

Second, taking it out on the team wont effect him in the least.

If you want to get rid of Lowder, donate some money, find a politician with the gonads to take him out, or start a lawsuit. Do it the right way, the legal way. Dont do any of the SACS, boycotts, or any other stuff.

BTW, I am sure, if anyone is interested that you can find an organization tro do exactlyt what I am talking about right now somewhere in the AU Alumni Association. ;)

Although the idea for what he is proposing is stupid, the guy at least has got some balls where others dont. Sometimes all I see is a bunch of peons and no one else standing up for anything anymore. Actually kinda sad :)

First, make sure you can cover the funds he donates every year. Like it or not, the funds he donates give him a voice.

175152[/snapback]

The money that special interests, PAC's, and lobbyists throw around in Washington gives them a big voice also, but usually to the detriment of our political system, IMO.

Sometimes the actions of a person can hurt the school a lot more than any amount of money can help. [i'm not saying I have enough inside knowledge to be an appropriate judge of whether Lowder has crossed that line--what I read in the public media gives me concern, however.] In any case, money alone is not sufficient for me to give anyone carte blanch on running my University. I always get concerned when people say "But he gives a lot of money, so don't question what he does or thinks."

A university--any university--is lot more than just dollars & cents. Sometimes it's better to say "No thank you" to gifts (Or more diplomatically, "We appreciate your generous offer, but we can only accept it with the understanding that we cannot give you any special consideration because of it"). To paraphrase a very wise man from Galilee: "What profiteth a [university] if it gain the whole world, but loseth its soul?"

But on a lighter note: I'm pretty sure everyone on this board sees the idea of boycotting games as ludicrous and a big joke, as indicated by the first couple of light hearted posts in this thread. I have trouble believing the author of that newspaper column seriously though it would happen.

That would certainly be a left-wing approach that would hurt team morale.  Could you really imagine a game with only visitors in the stands?

175146[/snapback]

"Left wing approach"? Who called for the boycott of Disney World?

Totally agree with you.

My point was this: The SACS stuff only hurt :au: It did nothing to Lowder.

Lowder can only be relieved of power through the courts or through the Legislature. Boycott this, or whatever does nothing to him personally. He will ignore and weather the Storm.

Enough :au: Alums together could do it. But they would have to organize and get the monry together to do it though.

Lowder has given big money and the reality is that that money speaks. The cash funding shortfalls make all college admins too easily bought. The Admins are likely nowhere close to not being able to deal with the Devil. They have to deal with the Devil because of the funding shortfalls. Look araound :au: now. The campus looks great. The buildings are getting beter all the time. The business building alone is a Lowder accomplishment. (Notice I called it the business building.)

With Lowder, at least we have a leader that is doing SOMETHING...Not to compare to :ua: , but over there, is there any real leadership? They seem rudderless most of the time. Witt got them going, but he may be leaving soon.

We are tops in academics in the state and have been for years. We are tops in football, swimming, etc. We have some of the best facilities in the :sec:

Give Lebo time, we will be tops there too. Only BEMC is an eyesore on campus these days. That is likely to change next.

I dont like the dictatorial natuire of Lowder. Hitler made the trains run on time too. I dont like dealing with the Devil either. BUT, unitl we get organized, get off our wallets, and get going through legal/political means, Lowder will stay right where he is.

I dont like the dictatorial natuire of Lowder. Hitler made the trains run on time too. I dont like dealing with the Devil either. BUT, unitl we get organized, get off our wallets, and get going through legal/political means, Lowder will stay right where he is.

175164[/snapback]

German trains always ran on time. Mussolini made Italian trains run on time, and that was news! ;)

With Lowder, at least we have a leader that is doing SOMETHING...Not to compare to :ua: , but over there, is there any real leadership? They seem rudderless most of the time. Witt got them going, but he may be leaving soon.

We are tops in academics in the state and have been for years. We are tops in football, swimming, etc. We have some of the best facilities in the :sec:

175164[/snapback]

Paul Finebaum spoke in Huntsville this week. He said Auburn's trustees were far better than bama's when it comes to having a plan and making it happen.

What amazes me is that so may people seem to want to get Lowder off the BOT so bad but don't seem to have a problem with McWhorter of Franklin.

Boycotting something connected to Auburn in order to hurt Lowder is assinine. As far as Lowder is concerned it's real simple as I have said so many times before. If you want Lowder to go, quit taking his money. if he gives big bucks, he is entitled to use his influence. if I gave the money he does, I would want to have some influence too.

175164[/snapback]

Paul Finebaum spoke in Huntsville this week. He said Auburn's trustees were far better than bama's when it comes to having a plan and making it happen.

What amazes me is that so may people seem to want to get Lowder off the BOT so bad but don't seem to have a problem with McWhorter of Franklin.

Boycotting something connected to Auburn in order to hurt Lowder is assinine. As far as Lowder is concerned it's real simple as I have said so many times before. If you want Lowder to go, quit taking his money. if he gives big bucks, he is entitled to use his influence. if I gave the money he does, I would want to have some influence too.

175170[/snapback]

"Some influence", perhaps. But you give because you love AU. You want the money to be spent wisely, if you give, but that is different than people using money to pull strings.

And thats the sad sad world that we live in today folks all summed up. Money = corruption...

Theres no more honor, character, etc found with people like Lowder, or hell the system that he works in. We speak more with our money than we do our actions and character. I find that pathetic.

The only reason why the system continues is because people just "accept it" and dont stand up to it. Ive been reading ," well, if he gives the money, hes entitled to the influence." Thats sick in my opinion. If he wants to help Auburn University with his money, then so be it, but in no means am I bending my ass over because I want your "money".

Lowder should love Auburn with all his heart and donate accordingly. To just donate, and be entitled to power automatically...then turn around, and abuse it many times...sick.

To see fellow Auburn fans say that, " He is entitled to his power because of his money, if you want him to stop, stop accepting the bucks" is pretty sad in itself. Shouldnt people donate for the love of Auburn University instead of power? Why should Auburn refuse the donations? Hell hes giving us the money because he loves Auburn right? Oh wait a minute...im on to something :rolleyes:

175170[/snapback]

"Some influence", perhaps. But you give because you love AU. You want the money to be spent wisely, if you give, but that is different than people using money to pull strings.

175172[/snapback]

And can you give me some examples/facts that Lowder has used the money to pull srtings.

And thats the sad sad world that we live in today folks all summed up.  Money = corruption...

Theres no more honor, character, etc found with people like Lowder, or hell the system that he works in.  We speak more with our money than we do our actions and character.  I find that pathetic.

The only reason why the system continues is because people just "accept it" and dont stand up to it.  Ive been reading ," well, if he gives the money, hes entitled to the influence."  Thats sick in my opinion.  If he wants to help Auburn University with his money, then so be it, but in no means am I bending my ass over because I want your "money".

Lowder should love Auburn with all his heart and donate accordingly.  To just donate, and be entitled to power automatically...then turn around, and abuse it many times...sick.

To see fellow Auburn fans say that, " He is entitled to his power because of his money, if you want him to stop, stop accepting the bucks" is pretty sad in itself.  Shouldnt people donate for the love of Auburn University instead of power?  Why should Auburn refuse the donations?  Hell hes giving us the money because he loves Auburn right?  Oh wait a minute...im on to something  :rolleyes:

175178[/snapback]

Those are pretty strong words and accusations. How involved are you in Auburn affairs to know what you are talking about? have you ever sat in a BOT meeting? Even met and talked to Lowder of other BOTs? Or are you just expressing an opinion based on what you have read and heard?

See guys, Vatz sounds like he is now ready to get up off his wallet and do something.

A few hundred more like him and we are ready.

Vatz,

Before I really spend any time coming down on you, I have one question for you:

Who would you like to see replace Lowder, and exactly why would that person be more qualified, or for that matter be better for Auburn?

Until you can answer this question with facts that will make us all know that Auburn will be better off, shut the hell up and enjoy your college days as a student.

Interesting. The points I tried to stress, I thought, were positive and stressed that character and the love of Auburn Univ. does not exist with Lowder.

And the replies to my points were very mature, might I add.

So maybe I dont know as much as you mature adults out there. I'll give you that. But the fact that a couple of posters on here are pretty snappy to my reply just goes to show that I might speak some truth that few are willing to accept.

Furthermore, I have an answer to your question. Who would I want to replace Lowder? Show me a guy with some character, pride, moral judgement, and the ability to see past corruption (dont accept that money bag)...and you'll have a guy who would have my support.

Secondly, me being a student is probably more important in this issue than some of the older alumni. I actually am apart of this University whereas others might spectate, etc. No doubt some of the older posters on this board are still apart of how the University runs and operates.....but dont ever count out a Student. They are the blood and purpose of this university.

Vatz,

Again, until you can PROVE that Lowder has no "character, pride, moral judgement, or the ability to see past corruption" and name one individual that would be better for Auburn BY NAME, you need to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Secondly, if you think being a student makes you more important than the many alumni that frequent this board or have a stake in our beloved university, you have no idea what it means to ba true part of the Auburn Family.

Lastly, I would like for you to name ONE THING that Lowder has done to make your life as student more miserable than it would have been had he not been affiliated with Auburn.

Regardless, I think I'm going to do some "student stuff" like get wasted. Ya, thats all I do :D . Issues concerning this university that I attend are completely ignored by my young and unstable mind :homer:

Im gonna dab off this thread for a bit, the stinch of "old people" is too strong for this youngin to handle :thumbsdown:

If you feel that my inferior opinion is just too much to handle....Then by all means, I just cleaned my inbox today :)

(again, hopefully the sarcastic tone comes across to some of the more mature posters....if my opinion is just so inferior, why the reaction? ;) )

P.S. I was simply stating that students are as much apart of this University than what you were previously making it out to be.

... With Lowder, at least we have a leader that is doing SOMETHING...Not to compare to :ua: , but over there, is there any real leadership? They seem rudderless most of the time. Witt got them going, but he may be leaving soon. ...

175164[/snapback]

OMG. In addition to rudderless, the bammies are in danger of being Witt-less idiots, too? But we knew that already. They're bamuh, they got tradishun, 26 nayshunal champeenships, etc. etc. :big:

Of course the game boycott is a joke. It has that surreal stupidity surrounding it just like the bammies threatening to leave the SEC or the NCAA or whatever entity du jour to "send a message."

I'll say this about Lowder: he may be a conniving, behind-the-scenes controlling kingmaker type, but you have to admit he's pretty darn successful at whatever he does. He's a successful banker and he's positioned himself on the BOT and short of him dropping dead anytime soon, he's not going anywhere until his official term is up. A certain number of you will one day have to face reality. There is no magic bullet. If you want Lowder off the BOT, you are going to have to out-manuever him. Good luck on that pipe dream.

Guys,

My only point in calling Vatz on the carpet is that I get tired of uninformed people gratuitously flogging Lowder because it seems to be the cool thing to do. If you can't argue specifics as to why he has been bad for the Univesity or who would be a better BOT member than you are better just to keep your mouth shut.

Archived