2024 4* WR Malcolm Simmons COMMITS TO AU!

toddc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interview: 4-Star WR Auburn commit Malcolm Simmons

Auburn commit Malcolm Simmons: 'I’m locked in.'

SHEL HICKMAN

SEP 30, 2023 10:17 AM EDT

Malcolm Simmons and the Benjamin Russell Wildcats took on Smiths Station last night in Smiths Station, Alabama. Simmons can really do it all. Whether it’s running, catching, or punting, he is excellent at everything on the football field.

In red-zone situations, they like to put Simmons behind center and allow his legs to get the touchdown. He did find the endzone this week, but that was through the air on a 10-yard pass. He had multiple catches for big gains throughout the night. One reception was broken off for 40 yards after the catch. He also had two more 40-yard receptions.

Simmons also just loves to play football. With a minute and twenty-eight seconds left in the game, up two touchdowns, Simmons was still trying to find ways to make plays. He loves to ball out and this Benjamin Russell squad can do that.

Kalib Spivey, defensive lineman for Benjamin Russell, is a freshman, who just recently picked up an Auburn offer. He is 6-foot-1 and has a huge frame. He had too many sacks and tackles for loss to count last night. He is someone to look for in the future, as he will indeed only get better.

Malcolm Simmons talks to Auburn Daily

This is what Simmons had to say after the game:

What do you think the best aspect of your game is?

“Just getting open and catching the ball when my team needs me to and making great plays.”

You’re a great punter. Would you be open to punting, if asked, at Auburn?

“Yeah, I would.”

What can you say about Kalib Spivey?

“He’s going to be a dog. I told him when he first got to the high school “Just get in the weight room and keep doing what you’re doing. The sky’s the limit for you.”

Where are you at with your current Auburn commitment?

“I’m staying in communication with Coach Freeze and Coach Davis and my other 2024 commits. Yeah, I’m locked in.”

What do you think about tomorrow’s game?

“(Saturday's) going to be lit. We’re going to have multiple 5-stars and 4-stars there. We’re hoping that we can get some commits tomorrow.”

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

One step closer

Caleb Jones • AuburnSports

There are four guaranteed games remaining on Benjamin Russell's schedule.

Malcolm Simmons knows this, and after each week, that number drops by one. It's a bittersweet feeling for the Auburn wide receiver commit, but he had a special opportunity in his game Friday night — to play against another commit.

Simmons took the field against Demarcus Riddick and Chilton County, as Benjamin Russell came away with a 50-7 victory.

"It went good, I didn’t get very many explosive plays, but I did make a couple plays and a punt return," Simmons said. "Did get in the end zone two times, so I did have a good game, me and my team."

Malcolm Simmons is loving how things are going with Auburn. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

It looked like Simmons covered nearly half the county on his punt return, taking the kick inside his own thirty, zig-zagging across the field and making defenders miss before Chilton County finally took him down at midfield.

The punt return was one of several times Simmons had a touch, with two of them going for touchdowns. His first touchdown was a rushing touchdown — a direct snap from about three yards out — while his second touchdown was caught through the air.

Watching the game unfold from the sidelines was Auburn wide receivers coach Marcus Davis.

"It means the world," Simmons said of Davis being there. "When I first went down to Auburn, he was telling me 'Stay focused, listen to what we got to say and everything will play out for itself.' When he came to the game I was like ‘Oh yeah, we locked in for sure."

Simmons committed to Auburn in late July and has been locked in with the Tigers ever since. He's visited Auburn frequently this fall, with his latest trip to the Plains for the Georgia game last Saturday.

"It’s amazing," Simmons said of the Auburn atmosphere. "If you’re a dude in [the 2024 class], I request you come down there. It’s rocking down there in Jordan Hare."

It's only a matter of time before the receiver is down there himself, alongside the rest of the 2024 class. The class of recruits is tight knit and communicate regularly, but enjoying Auburn games from the stands for now is still exciting.

"It was a dream come true," Simmons said. "We got all the future Auburn players down there. Like I told them, 'When we get here, there’s gonna be more explosive plays and we won't lose the game."

Auburn wide receivers caught four passes against Georgia. The need for explosive playmakers on that side of the ball is something Simmons wants to help with right away.

"Like I told Coach Davis, When I come up there, I’m not trying to sit on the sideline," Simmons said. "I’m gonna do my best to start as a freshman."

He'll take his official visit the weekend of the Iron Bowl and is still unsure on his status of enrolling early, but for now, he's just enjoying his final chapter at Benjamin Russell.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, SumterAubie said:

Simmons may be one reason why Auburn coaches wanted JaLewis Solomon as a DB only

Exactly. Perry, Bryce, and Simmons are all better receivers

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

He made my Alma Mater look slow.

Don't feel too badly, He makes everyone look slower 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Freeze wants guys that love football and  this guy fits the bill. I still cant believe more big schools arent after him.

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This WR class will go down as our best ever. Yes, I think better than them. 

That will be difficult players are looking to transfer and will transfer for multiple reasons. Not to mention injuries and the rebuilding of our team. Will they stay, will they develop, will they achieve? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...