2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

2 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

Thanks🤣

No it’s not strange. Jyaire is my son. 

😎

Chuck, I am so happy to see you on the forum and am extremely excited to watch your son play for Auburn.  It is a wonderful place to be.

If you decide to come to a game at Auburn and need tickets don’t hesitate to reach out to me.  I may be able to help you find some.  If you do attend a game, please let me know as I would love to meet you both before the game.  I go to all home games.

War Eagle and welcome to the Auburn Family!

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

🤣

😎

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! 

You are going to love it here.  and by here I mean this board and Auburn University.   

You will be shocked at the transformation of your son over the next few years.    I sent my son to Auburn.  he graduated a few months ago.   I am in awe at the man he has become,  and I was expecting it.  I also went to Auburn. 

I hope Jyaire has tremendous success on the field.  I know he will have success in life after attending AU no matter what the future brings.

WAR EAGLE

• Like 1

I think OL is mostly set, maybe 1 guard spot is unknown
We all know how QB will play out. 
DB is pretty locked down. 
I think we know our top 4 at LB. 
Edge is pretty obvious
DL is relative set.

Feel like WR is the biggest "who knows" going into this camp.  

--Jar has been pretty much a protypical role playing slot guy.  OSU transfer Burton has potential, but he's really small.  Maybe a higher ceiling long term
--Cam Brown was pretty impressive last year and had good things in Spring camp, but got hurt towards the end.  Most expected him to be a WR1, but then we brought in two guys with his size/skill set
--Hooks has some good film at JSU, but they were overmatched vs a lot of opponents.  Can his play elevate to a high level?
--Shorter big and obviously explosive this is YPC and TD ratio.  Some N. Texas articles mentioned drops being an issue & becoming fully rounded guy vs just vertical 
--I thought Omari Kelly looked solid in bursts last year.  Koy Moore seems like a really good possession type WR.  Dependable and some solid yards after catch

I'll be interesting to see how this group plays out.  Can both Hooks/Shorter perform against better competition?  Are they locks to start?  Are most returners going to take a back seat to transfers?  4 WR group of Hooks/Shorter/Brown/Jar has a lot of size to it.  Looking foward to see how these guys are used in multiple roles.  I think it's the most intriguing position in camp

17 hours ago, LPTiger said:

So Fam, Chuck is thinking his first game may be Texas A&M.    Let's convince him he needs to come to game 1.   What you got?   I've offered a place tp stay and a ride to the stadium.   Conecuh sausage.   Ribs.   What you got to get Chuck and bride here game 1?

IMG_3701.gif

• Haha 1

What we'll be watching for when Auburn opens preseason camp

The Tigers report to campus Wednesday to meet with their coaches, then get rolling with the first practice Thursday morning

NATHAN KING89 mins4

When Auburn kicks off the first preseason practices under Hugh Freeze, there will certainly be no shortage of intrigue across the team.

The Tigers report to campus Wednesday to meet with their coaches, then get rolling with the first practice Thursday morning. Freeze will address the media to open things up at 8:30 a.m. CST, as Auburn will begin to knock out 15 practices over the next month, leading up to season opener Sept. 2 against UMass.

The set the table for the start of fall camp, two of our football reporters — Jason Caldwell and Nathan King — dive into a discussion on the storylines and players we’ll be tracking this preseason.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE QB COMPETITION?

Jason: “I believe we’re in for a very good battle in preseason camp with the addition of Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne to the mix. I’m a believer in Robby Ashford and I think he’s matured a great deal since last season. Holden Geriner can really throw it too. I would lean to Thorne with Ashford nipping at his heels.”

Nathan: “How long will it take Thorne to close the gap in terms of first-team reps? Freeze said he wants to cut down the competition to two players after at most 10 practices, but if Thorne can learn the system and force things earlier, that will be a positive sign for the Michigan State transfer to win the job. While I still have difficulty seeing Thorne lose the competition, given his experience level blended with Ashford’s struggles as a passer in 2022, Ashford has a dynamic skill set that I believe Freeze will continue to tap into.”

WHO’S A PLAYER ON OFFENSE YOU’LL BE WATCHING CLOSELY?

Jason: “I have mentioned Caleb Burton a few times in the last few weeks and there’s a reason why. I think he holds the key for this passing game because he’s the most dynamic offensive player on the roster. If he steps up it’s great news for the Tigers.”

Nathan: “Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks— with a 6-foot-4 frame and SEC-ready speed — is my pick to lead the receiving corps. The Tigers need more game-breakers at receiver, and among the four incoming transfers at the position, Hooks, to me, appears best positioned to grab a starting role thanks to his versatility and experience.”

WHAT ABOUT ON DEFENSE?

Jason: “There are a bunch of pieces in place for this defense with big additions to the linebacker group since last season. I like the secondary and it could be one of the strengths for this team. My question still comes up front. Can they find a playmaker to rush the passer and create havoc up front?”

Nathan: “The early reviews on App State transfer Jalen McLeod are overwhelmingly positive, as the Tigers look for some pass-rushing prowess to replace the likes of Derick Hall and Eku Leota. Elijah McAllister has plenty of experience, sure, but McLeod might bring the most explosiveness at the position — which Auburn hopes will complement a loaded secondary to generate one of the conference’s better pass defenses.”

WHICH POSITION GROUP IS PRIMED FOR IMPROVEMENT?

Jason: “The more I see and hear about the offensive line, the more I believe it’s going to be a group that has a chance to be significantly improved from last year. With the additions of a pair of transfers over the summer, the depth concerns have been alleviated somewhat. A guy like Jeremiah Wright could hold the key. If he can become a dominant player at guard, look out.”

Nathan: “The receiving corps’ upgrades have been strong, particularly with the three transfers after spring practice. Hooks, Burton and Jyaire Shorter from North Texas can all find roles within the passing game right away, in my opinion, with a blend of experience and raw, young talent in Burton’s case. Ja'Varrius Johnson and Camden Brown are important returnees in the group who could be much improved with better quarterback play, but past them, there should be plenty of opportunities for the newcomers to break into the rotation.”

WHICH POSITION GROUP CONCERNS YOU?

Jason: “I mentioned the defensive line earlier and that’s the group I have the most questions about. There are numbers up front and it’s a solid group, but is there a guy or two that’s ready to step up and become a dude? That’s the question.”

Nathan: “The entire defensive front is still a big question mark for me. Remember this is a run defense that finished No. 11 in the SEC last year and allowed its most rushing touchdowns (28) in program history. I have no doubts the coaching will be improved, but the personnel certainly took a hit after losing Hall, Leota, Colby Wooden and Owen Pappoe. I’m big on Justin Rogers as someone who could be an All-SEC player at nose tackle, and I think Austin Keys and Larry Nixon III could be a strong duo at linebacker. The front seven as a whole needs a strong camp to improve off last season’s major struggles, though.”

WHO’S A SUMMER ENROLLEE FRESHMAN YOU’RE EXCITED TO SEE?

Jason: “Running back is a position where I think it’s easier to make an impact as a true freshman, so I’m going with Jeremiah Cobb. I have probably seen him play six or seven times and he’s just a playmaker. The thing that could get him on the field is his ability to catch the ball. He’s elite out of the backfield.”

Nathan: “I’ve been hearing Darron Reed Jr.’s name a bunch the past month. Speaking of my defensive line concerns, the 4-star freshman could help, after Reed has bulked up to 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds this summer in the strength program. Don’t be surprised if Reed competes immediately for playing time on the interior — especially considering Auburn’s coaches want five or six quality D-linemen to roll out every game. Reed could be one if he settles into the defensive scheme well.”

STORYLINE YOU’RE PERSONALLY INTERESTED IN?

Jason: “Maybe the biggest for me is just how the wide receiver group shakes out with so many new faces on the field. It’s a group that has talent, but like the defensive line the Tigers need someone to step up.”

Nathan: “I remember last year at the second and third preseason scrimmages, it was painfully obvious how poor Auburn’s passing game was going to be in 2022. Quarterbacks were inaccurate, the offensive line was being dominated and receivers were inconsistent. We saw those issues coming from miles away, and I’ll be interested to follow just how different the energy and consistency of the passing attack feels through this preseason. It already made some significant strides in the spring — remember when Freeze started demanding more from his defense because the offense was winning a lot of drives — and with probably the most polished passer since Bo Nix now introduced to the mix, it could continue to progress into a solid unit by the time the 2023 season kicks off.”

As info., Chuck told me in a private message (Chuck I assume you wouldn't mind me telling) that Jayire is back to his old self again and running a legit 4.4.   He had a toe issue last year that seems to be completely healed.   Let's go Jayire!!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

This would be 🔥. I think the kids still say that?

Really excited to see what Hooks can do. Getting Randy Moss vibes from him, and not just because Randy Moss gave him autographed gloves. 

But we got several WR transfers with home run potential.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, Chuck4334 said:

🤣

😎

Welcome to Auburn, @Chuck4334! Welcome to your son and your whole family.  Auburn is a pretty friendly place and we are passionate about our school and our sports. 😊 Sometimes that passion (and probably way too much alcohol!) causes fans to say some really stupid things.  We have a mix on this board of young, old, former players, inexperienced fans, male, female, left, right, religious, non-religious fans. Best thing is to not let anyone get under your skin.  We all love Auburn and most of us support the players well.  Coaches, well that’s a different story! 😂 I hope you find this board enjoyable and helpful.  War Eagle!!! 

• Like 3

• Thanks 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Freeze: "Now it all gets to the point where you put the pieces together, and how your team handles the pressure and heat of being strained and stressed."

* Freeze said "commitment" is one of the themes for the team this preseason.

* Freeze on summer workouts: "We're bigger and stronger. We look better"

* Freeze asked whether Jarquez Hunter will be available at practice today: "Matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally, and it will not be discussed publicly."

* Freeze on Auburn's roster being comprised of nearly half newcomers: "This is the most uncomfortable fall camp I'm going into."

* New Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda is "a big, good-looking dude" on the offensive line.

* New transfer QB Payton Thorne "demanded" Freeze's time in the offseason. Says he asked him almost every day whether he had free time to meet.

* Freeze on the new-look receiving corps: "We've improved that room in recruiting, and I think there are some guys here who can get a good bit better."

* Auburn's QBs will all "rotate pretty evenly" over the first five practices, Hugh Freeze said. Then the coaching staff will "recalibrate" and trim down some reps moving forward.

* Freeze on Auburn's recruiting momentum: "We're in on the right guys, and there are some big decisions coming up soon that we're involved in. Hopefully some of them go our way."

* Freeze: "I think it's pretty easy to recruit to Auburn. This is one of the elite programs in the country."

* Freeze: "I'm excited about our O-line. I think we've improved ourselves there."

* Freeze is told players have said he's brought fun back to Auburn: "I hope they're still saying that a week from now."

* Freeze: "Damari (Alston) has been one of the best leaders on our team this summer and spring."

* Freeze on the jack linebackers: "That's a position where I'm excited about the new guys."

* RB Brian Battie (foot) is "limited but will practice," per Hugh Freeze. Tigers really healthy otherwise, though: "I think that's really it. We're blessed."

* More from Freeze on the quarterbacks: "I'm very cautiously optimistic that we could win football games with several of those guys. ... It could be three games into the season before we really know."

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Freeze: "Now it all gets to the point where you put the pieces together, and how your team handles the pressure and heat of being strained and stressed."

* Freeze said "commitment" is one of the themes for the team this preseason.

* Freeze on summer workouts: "We're bigger and stronger. We look better"

* Freeze asked whether Jarquez Hunter will be available at practice today: "Matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally, and it will not be discussed publicly."

* Freeze on Auburn's roster being comprised of nearly half newcomers: "This is the most uncomfortable fall camp I'm going into."

* New Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda is "a big, good-looking dude" on the offensive line.

* New transfer QB Payton Thorne "demanded" Freeze's time in the offseason. Says he asked him almost every day whether he had free time to meet.

* Freeze on the new-look receiving corps: "We've improved that room in recruiting, and I think there are some guys here who can get a good bit better."

* Auburn's QBs will all "rotate pretty evenly" over the first five practices, Hugh Freeze said. Then the coaching staff will "recalibrate" and trim down some reps moving forward.

* Freeze on Auburn's recruiting momentum: "We're in on the right guys, and there are some big decisions coming up soon that we're involved in. Hopefully some of them go our way."

* Freeze: "I think it's pretty easy to recruit to Auburn. This is one of the elite programs in the country."

* Freeze: "I'm excited about our O-line. I think we've improved ourselves there."

* Freeze is told players have said he's brought fun back to Auburn: "I hope they're still saying that a week from now."

* Freeze: "Damari (Alston) has been one of the best leaders on our team this summer and spring."

* Freeze on the jack linebackers: "That's a position where I'm excited about the new guys."

* RB Brian Battie (foot) is "limited but will practice," per Hugh Freeze. Tigers really healthy otherwise, though: "I think that's really it. We're blessed."

* More from Freeze on the quarterbacks: "I'm very cautiously optimistic that we could win football games with several of those guys. ... It could be three games into the season before we really know."

Hunter is not seen at practice so far.

Auburn RB Jarquez Hunter absent on first day of preseason practice

The Tigers' starting tailback’s status has been up in the air

Nathan King8 mins

One of the most concerning offseason developments at Auburn still appears to be unresolved: Starting running back Jarquez Hunter was not present at practice with the Tigers on Thursday morning on the first day of preseason camp.

Hugh Freeze was asked earlier in the morning whether Hunter would be available, and declined to comment on the nature of Hunter's situation, as has been the case throughout the offseason: "Matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally, and it will not be discussed publicly."

The junior was involved in a university investigation that began in May, after Hunter was the target of social media allegations from a now-suspended Twitter account, which posted explicit videos and claimed they were recorded and shared without consent of at least one of the participants. On May 18, a statement from Auburn University was provided to Auburn Undercover that said at least one member of the Auburn football program has been suspended for violation of team rules, though Hunter was never named specifically in any statement.

45 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

no-god-please-no-nooooo.gif

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

no-god-please-no-nooooo.gif

Lets all calm down and understand coach speak.  It's going to be "close".  Not a lot of "separation".  Ashford has "improved" and "done everything we've asked him".  Thorne is "learning the playbook and behind Ashford in that aspect".  Hugh will lie to you and say "we don't have a QB yet" or something like "we're going to let both play"

We're going to hear all of this nonsense.  Then Throne will play 80% of the snaps in the 1st game until RA takes over in the 3rd or 4th quarter.  Maybe RA has a series early or some snaps.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lets all calm down and understand coach speak.  It's going to be "close".  Not a lot of "separation".  Ashford has "improved" and "done everything we've asked him".  Thorne is "learning the playbook and behind Ashford in that aspect".  Hugh will lie to you and say "we don't have a QB yet" or something like "we're going to let both play"

I've heard all of this before, somewhere, can't quite place it

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

All coaches are exactly the same.  They say pointless things that mean nothing.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Freeze attended the Gus Malzahn school of saying nothing with a lot of buzz words. I think he will be more open about a lot of things, but I don’t see him as a guy who is going to give brutally honest answers at the expense of player morale.

Examining Auburn's running back room without Jarquez Hunter

The Tigers' starting tailback was not present with the team in the first preseason practice

Nathan King5 mins

What looked to be one of the strongest position groups on Auburn’s roster entering 2023 is now clouded with uncertainty.

The Tigers opened their first preseason under Hugh Freeze on Thursday morning, and starting running back Jarquez Hunterwas not present with the team during the 30-minute media viewing window. 

The junior, who seemed primed to take over for Tank Bigsby after rushing for 1,261 yards and 10 touchdowns as a backup over the past two years, has been involved in a university investigation since May, after Hunter was the target of social media allegations from a now-suspended Twitter account, which posted explicit videos and claimed they were recorded and shared without consent of at least one of the participants.

Freeze has been mum on the subject since the beginning, declining to provide context or details while the situation has been in the hands of the university.

“I understand the question, but matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally and they will not be discussed publicly,” Freeze said before the first practice Thursday.

Now, the cleats have hit the grass, and one of the most important pieces of the 2023 squad appears to be unavailable. So what does Auburn have to offer in the rest of the backfield?

All the other running backs were present at practice, with one scholarship newcomer since the spring: 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb, the No. 9-rated running back in the 2023 class from nearby Montgomery Catholic. Then there’s USF transfer Brian Battie, a 1,000-yard rusher last season who was present in spring ball, and Damari Alston, who had 85 yards as a true freshman last year.

“I loved our running back room in spring, and I’m excited about adding Cobb and Battie,” Freeze said. “I think we have good players here.”

While the personnel groupings shouldn’t carry much weight this early in the preseason, Alston did trot out alongside Michigan State transfer quarterback Payton Thorne behind the first-team offensive line. Alston also took handoffs from Thorne in warmups beforehand. 

The former 4-star recruit from Atlanta was heavily praised in the spring for his development within the new-look offense, and Freeze said Thursday the sophomore has also made comparable strides off the field.

“I think Damari has been one of the best leaders on our team this entire summer and spring,” Freeze said.

While Hunter is away from the team, Battie, who brings 1,841 yards and 25 touchdowns of career rushing production to the Tigers, is the most experienced option in the backfield. After being bothered by a foot issue in the spring, Battie underwent a procedure shortly back in April, but Freeze only anticipates minor limitations for the senior.

Otherwise, Auburn remains in a strong spot in terms of roster health. 

“Battie is limited, but he will practice from his procedure done on his foot,” Freeze said. “Shoot, I think that's it. I think we're blessed. There may be a few more that are somewhat limited but I think everybody will be out there today.”

The Tigers return to practice Friday morning before an off day Saturday.

Yeah, the fact that he wouldn't even comment suggests that Jarquez wouldn't be at practice. Otherwise, he could have said that part at least. Not his fault. His hands are tied. 

Hopefully worst case, he sits out a couple of games and comes in with fresh legs. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right on ESPN's first page. Freeze "uncomfortable" and "anxious" haha 

Just look who wrote it 🙄

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right on ESPN's first page. Freeze "uncomfortable" and "anxious" haha 

Good lord. Buckle up. We are in for a long ride. They’re going to do this every chance they get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1