2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

Maybe it's just the reports I've seen, but I've seen no pictures/Video of Ashford at AB. Hank, Thorne, and HG

Hugh Freeze breaks down competition in Auburn wide receiver room

On3 Staff Report

Ja'Varrius Johnson (Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live)

As Auburn looks to overhaul its offense in the Hugh Freeze era, shoring up the Auburn wide receiver room was one of the new head man’s top priorities this offseason.

The Tigers didn’t have a single receiver top the 500-yard mark a year ago.

“We needed to overhaul that room and improve it for sure,” Freeze said this week. “I say that and truthfully I don’t know, the evaluation sample was so small for most of them because this system is totally different than what they’ve played in.”

The players Freeze does have returning in the Auburn wide receiver room do have some production, though not a ton of it.

Returning wideouts Ja’Varrius Johnson (26 catches for 493 yards, 3 TDs), Koy Moore(20 catches for 314 yards, 1 TD) and Camden Brown (nine catches for 123 yards, 2 TDs) all topped the 100-yard mark receiving last year. The Tigers would love any or all to step up their production in 2023.

“We’ve got to have those guys have production,” Freeze said.

But the Auburn wide receiver room also attacked the offseason by fishing for upgrades in the NCAA transfer portal. To that end, the Tigers took in five pass-catchers.

The most productive of them last season was North Texas‘ Jyaire Shorter, who logged 23 catches for 628 yards and 11 touchdowns. Not far behind was FIU tight end Rivaldo Fairweather with 28 catches for 426 yards and three touchdowns, as well as Cincinnati‘s Nick Mardner at 19 catches for 218 yards and three touchdowns.

Ohio State signee Caleb Burton and Ohioveteran Shane Hooks (26 catches for 515 yards and five touchdowns in 2019) round out the Auburn wide receiver room’s new additions.

“I do think we’ve improved that room in recruiting, and I do think there are guys here that can be better than what they’ve shown,” Freeze said. “We’re excited to see, I think we’ve seen glimpses of that but now we’ve got to go and do it when it’s real and live. But we are excited about the fact that I think we’ve improved that room for sure.”

What Auburn’s up against in terms of trying to turn things around is the nation’s No. 119 passing offense from 2022. The Tiger simply weren’t very effective throwing the ball last season.

The team produced just 172.7 passing yards per game, a figure that definitely won’t cut it for the Auburn wide receiver room under Freeze going forward.v

• Thanks 2

• Like 1

How Auburn's new-look defensive front lines up early in preseason camp

“We got to get better as a run defense, and (Ron Roberts) is bringing that hard-nosed mentality to this. I can’t wait for the season to see how that turns out.”

Nathan King8 hrs

Marcus Harris has trouble keeping track sometimes.

His Auburn defensive line, on which he’s now a third-year starter, had eight new faces in the spring. It’s now added four more from summer enrollees.

“I didn’t expect those guys to transition this fast,” Harris said Friday. “That’s the good thing about fall camp and the offseason we had, we had time to train and get those young guys prepared for stepping into roles they might have to this season.”

The Tigers hope their eclectic personnel along the defensive front — three returning contributors, six transfers when including “jack” pass-rushers, five true freshmen and one JUCO addition — yields a group that could utilize its depth to offset the loss of a trio of now-NFL players: Colby Wooden, Derick Hall and Colby Wooden.

It might start with Harris, the former Kansas transfer whom position coach Jeremy Garrett called one of the most important players on the entire roster. After 6.5 tackles for loss and two sacks last season, Harris is hoping for his best Auburn season yet, working as the primary defensive tackle during first-team reps early in the Tigers’ preseason practices.

Harris can also kick to defensive end, where Maryland transfer Mosiah Nasili-Kite is the primary option right now — at least during the media viewing periods. Their combined versatility will make lineups easier on defensive coordinator Ron Roberts, they hope.

“He plays end, I'll play tackle; I'll play end, he'll play tackle,” Harris said. “He just brings that versatility that we need at the end, especially when we play, like, heavy-run teams. We need a heavy 5 out there instead of just a skinny jack. For heavy-run teams, you need a heavy 5 to play the end. That's another plus we have.”

The team’s top-rated signee in its 2023 class, Keldric Faulk, has now switched full time from outside linebacker to defensive end, now bulked up to 6-foot-6 and 288 pounds. At the moment, he appears to be the first rotational player at the position behind Nasili-Kite.

“He learned how to fit into the defense and not just freelance,” Harris said of Faulk’s improvements this offsason. “In high school, a lot of dudes are just told, 'do this.' And, probably, his defense was built around him in high school. Everything was based off of him. So, getting to college, he's recognizing that it's a team sport, and everybody's got their job. Everybody's got to be in their gap at the same time. That's been a very big improvement for him — just understanding his role in the defense.”

Purdue transfer Lawrence Johnson was worked into second-team defensive tackle reps in the first couple days of camp, while the anticipated competition at nose tackle saw Jayson Jones with the 1s, and Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers behind him.

Auburn’s personnel is all brand-new at outside linebacker, where Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister saw first-team reps last week. He was present in the spring however, while fellow transfers Jalen McLeod (App State) and Stephen Sings V (Liberty) are still finding their footing. They shared reps on the second-team defense, with McLeod serving as a more explosive and twitchy defender for pass-heavy downs, while Sings has a bit more size and physicality at the position.

McLeod was one of the most consistently praised newcomers for Auburn all offseason, and Harris is excited to see how he develops within the system.

“I feel like he's going to be ready,” Harris said. “He trains better than I've seen from a lot of other people. He trains hard, and he's quick off the ball. He's got a great first step, quick get-off. I'm excited to see what he does this season.”

The final addition to the D-line room was JUCO transfer Quientrail Jamison-Travis, who arrived just last week. At 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds, Harris said Jamison-Travis is repping at nose tackle as well as defensive tackle. 

Statistically, Auburn’s defensive front had more than its fair share of struggles last year, when the Tigers finished No. 11 in run defense and allowed more rushing touchdowns (28) than any Auburn team in program history.

The new run-defense philosophy under Roberts focuses on slanting the Tigers’ defensive linemen, rather than attacking with a hat on a hat against offensive linemen. That will be a major focus in the early stages of camp.

“We’ve got a lot of slanted plays,” Harris said. “That’s the difference from this year from last year. Last year, we were kind of playing on the offensive line, kind of standing on them. This year, we got more freedom to move around and get to the quarterback, so that’s the difference. It’s a lot of run focus, but that’s good because in the SEC, if you can’t stop the run, they’re just gonna run all game. That’s one thing we had to get better at as a defense. Last year, there were a couple games, one in particular — Penn State — we weren't happy with that outcome.

“We got to get better as a run defense, and (Roberts) is bringing that hard-nosed mentality to this. I can’t wait for the season to see how that turns out.”

After an off day Saturday, Auburn returns to the practice field for Day 3 of camp Sunday morning.

• Thanks 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

The team’s top-rated signee in its 2023 class, Keldric Faulk, has now switched full time from outside linebacker to defensive end, now bulked up to 6-foot-6 and 288 pounds. At the moment, he appears to be the first rotational player at the position behind Nasili-Kite.

Not really surprised by this.  He was so big there was near 0 chance he'd stay at EDGE.  Hopefully he can have a Marlon Davidson+ type impact at DE rushing the passer.

We're going to be able to sell a ton of EDGE playing time to kids next year in HS and the portal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

Preach it brother Hugh -- right out of Daniel -- "is the fire inside you greater than the furnace before you" ...   In Daniel --- "the King said 'did we not throw 3 men into the fiery furnace.'   And they answered 'you are correct King'.   And the King said 'why then do I see four men walking unharmed inside the furnace'."

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Fall Camp Source: 'Jay Fair is the real deal'

Auburn slot receiver Jay Fair is having a strong start to fall camp per source.

Zac Blackerby32 minutes ago

Jay Fair has taken advantage of opportunities this offseason and is off to a strong start during fall camp.

The Auburn sophomore slot receiver has been seen with the first group during offensive drills in the media viewing window early in fall camp. He lined up as the starting slot receiver alongside fellow wideouts Camden Brown and Nick Mardner.

Per a source, "Jay Fair is the real deal," when I asked about his early success in fall camp. He is seemingly getting reps over Ja'Varrius Johnson and former Ohio State receiver Caleb Burton.

Fair, the Rockwall, Texas native, made it a priority to get in off-season work with Michigan State transfer quarterback Payton Thorne and appears to be in great physical shape as the grueling fall practices move on in the intense August heat.

Last season, Fair played in 10 games as a true freshman. He bought in a 23-yard catch against Ole Miss and an 11-yard catch against Western Kentucky. 

Fall camp is still in the early stages before Auburn hosts UMass to open the 2024 season but Fair is off to a strong start in a position group that potentially has the most questions on the entire Auburn roster.

Sunday was Auburn's first day in pads. On Monday, the media will hear from offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts after practice. On Tuesday, there is expected to be another media viewing window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Puckett getting beat in coverage. smh.

Rivy tho.  swoon

Nice ball too

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

Who’s got DJ for a man crush?

image.thumb.png.9b64faf7197ac72e461865a6af2f4621.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

image.thumb.png.d914bb22488f4c76019d924d3d39013e.png

• Like 1

Auburn’s Week 2 camp schedule, storylines to watch

The Tigers will ramp up practices with pads in the next few days

NATHAN KING7 hrs1

Auburn’s first full week of camp is here, as the Tigers will ramp up practices with pads in the next few days, followed by the first preseason scrimmage Saturday morning inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. It should be an eventful week of work, so let’s set the table for what to expect from Hugh Freeze’s squad in the team’s last full week of the offseason before classes start at the university next Wednesday.

SCHEDULE

* Monday, Aug. 7: Practice; media meets with coordinators Philip Montgomery, Ron Roberts (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Tuesday, Aug. 9: Practice (media viewing at 9:30 a.m. CST); media meets with players (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Wednesday, Aug. 10: Off day

* Thursday, Aug. 10: Practice (media viewing at 9:30 a.m. CST); media meets with defensive assistants (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Friday, Aug. 11: Practice; media meets with players (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Saturday, Aug. 12: Scrimmage (media viewing at 9:20 a.m. CST); media meets with Hugh Freeze 11:30 a.m. CST); Auburn Family Football Preseason Kickoff event (2:15 p.m. CST)

WHAT TO WATCH

Pads coming on

After getting their feet wet in jerseys and shorts in the first few days of practice, Auburn will put on shells early this week before transitioning to full-pads practices leading up to Saturday’s scrimmage. While coaches review terminology and other basics during the opening stanza of camp, there’s always increased energy and intensity when the pads come on — and those in tight position battles across the roster will be expected to raise their game, too.

Trimmed QB reps

Freeze said on the opening day of preseason camp that he and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery expected to evenly rotate all the quarterbacks — not just the main contenders for the starting job — after approximately five practices. Sunday marked three practices, meaning Thursday could be the first day of camp where reps start to trim down. While it’s assumed Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne, who’s received plenty of first-team work thus far, will be comfortably positioned to continue occupying a portion of the starting reps, redshirt freshman Holden Geriner has made things interesting so far with some precise passing in camp, and his ability to potentially push incumbent starter Robby Ashford this week could make the reps in Saturday’s scrimmage highly intriguing.

Jarquez Hunter’s status

As redundant as it’s become, the availability of Auburn’s starting running back will continue to be under a microscope until he returns to practice. Could that be this week? The last media viewing session Friday did not feature Hunter on the field, though Auburn Undercover reported Saturday that Auburn expects its top tailback to practice. It’s worth noting Hunter has been with the team in camp so far but has been withheld from practice. 

Litmus test in Jordan-Hare

The first scrimmage of camp — this one set for Saturday morning inside Jordan-Hare Stadium — is always a useful litmus test for the coaching staff to observe and dissect how various personnel is progressing in a game-like setting. Of course, the QBs will be a major topic, and it’s usually tough to hide who’s running the offense well, and who isn’t. Coaches will heavily review the scrimmage tape over the weekend, and next week’s practices could reflect the trends from Saturday morning.

Auburn football second fall practice

Auburn Briefing: Three Tigers that I'm excited to see more of this week

Here are three Auburn Tigers that could have a big second week of fall camp.

ZAC BLACKERBY

42 MINUTES AGO

In this story:

AUBURN TIGERS

Auburn football's fall camp is already filled with storylines thanks to half the roster being brand new.

Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford dominated headlines all summer as well as questions about who could start at wide receiver. We still have a long way to go but some of these questions could be on their way to being answered before AUburn hosts UMass to start the season.

This week could be a big week for some Auburn Tigers. Sunday was the first day in pads. Long physical days in the August heat will show the Auburn coaching staff plenty of information on who deserves reps this season. 

Here are three Auburn Tigers worth following this week.

Holden Geriner, QB

As I said above, off-season chatter was dominated by the battle between Thorne and Ashford. Geriner has been running with the ones with Thorne during the open media windows and when I asked a source if that trend continued throughout the remainder of practice, they said yes. 

Geriner came on late during Spring practice and has held onto that momentum. His mustache game is strong as well.

Zykeivous Walker, DL

Auburn needs movement and rotation on the defensive front. From my sources, Walker has turned in early and turned some heads early in fall camp. The junior looks the part standing at 6-foot-4, 296 pounds. Walker seems like a player that could be gaining a market share of the snaps early in fall camp.

Big weekend for his family as his younger brother, Jalewis Solomon committed to Auburn over South Carolina on Saturday.

Jeremiah Cobb, RB

The freshman running back is passing the eye test early. He may be getting more reps than some expected due to Jarquez Hunter missing at least the first two practices of fall camp and Brian Battie returning from an injury he suffered back in spring. 

What's happening today

The media will hear from offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts after practice at 11:30 CT today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn social media overreaction:  All the highlights have been Holden.  Could Holden jump from 3rd to starter?  He looks good.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:17 PM, GAAubie said:

Those are fighting words! Our Storm Trooper Unis are the best in football! DON'T Mess with the ALL White!

I agree they are the best but one game won’t hurt

• Dislike 1

Hugh Freeze called out Auburn's DBs — and they're embracing the challenge

"I think we've got to improve our mental toughness and our attention to detail in the secondary."

Justin Ferguson

DB D.J. James and DB Keionte Scott (Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics)

It’s very easy to see what the strength of Auburn’s football team will be in 2023 — or, at least, what it should be.

During a rough 5-7 season last year, the Tigers didn’t do much at a high level. But they still finished the year tied for No. 23 nationally in pass defense (6.5 yards allowed per attempt). That mark was even with national champion Georgia and tied for fourth-best in the SEC. 

It wasn’t always pretty — Penn State, Arkansas and Alabama definitely put up some big efficiency numbers through the air — but for a defense that struggled so much to stop the run, being one of the better teams in major college football at preventing big passing plays kept a bad 2022 season from getting much worse.

And then the Tigers brought almost everybody back for 2023.

With the top cornerback combination of D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett deciding not to jump to the NFL, Auburn returns its top six defensive backs in terms of snaps from last season. 

James and Pritchett are joined by the veteran safety duo of Zion Puckett and Jaylin Simpson, along with primary nickel options Keionte Scott and Donovan Kaufman. And, with J.D. Rhym back to full strength after missing most of the spring with an injury, the only Auburn defensive back who played triple-digit snaps in 2022 who isn’t on the practice field right now is the recently departed Cayden Bridges.

On an Auburn roster that went through a massive overhaul under a new staff and has big questions at virtually every position at this point in fall camp, the experience and depth of the secondary is jarring.

Surely this position group is rock-solid and ready to roll with no chief concerns from the coaches, right? 

Well…

“I think we've got to improve our mental toughness and our attention to detail in the secondary,” head coach Hugh Freeze said Thursday, prior to Auburn’s first practice of fall camp. “I do think we have some talent there, but it's some older talent, and then it's some really good young talent. I don't think any have been stressed and strained enough to where we need to be.

“I do think we have some talent there. So I wanna see them improve that aspect of it.”

Of all the things Freeze said in his introductory press conference last week, his statement on the secondary — a response to a question where he was asked about which position group he was most excited about this fall (the offensive line) — was by far the most surprising.

If there was anywhere on Auburn’s team where you would have the least amount of doubts, the defensive backfield had to be a runaway favorite. After all, it was the spot that got the most preseason love from the media, with James and Pritchett earning some All-SEC buzz.

But Freeze wants Auburn’s defensive backs to practice like they haven’t come close to arriving yet. And that message has been received, loud and clear.

“Everyone knows we have one of the top groups in the country,” Scott said Friday. “Now it’s just being able to go to practice knowing that we’re not anywhere, we’re not anybody, we’re not ranked in the country. 

“We’re not anything.”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paladin said:

that comment is concerning about Hunter's status, unless coach is only referring to beginning of season.  i know all backs are good and we are deep, but i thought Hunter was a bit ahead (maybe i am wrong).