Talent

gr82b4au

Sorry if it’s already been said. I think it’s two things:

1. While we have a lot of transfers from non-power 5 schools, it’s some of the best players from that level that have realized they’re good enough to finish their careers at power 5 programs. 
2. It’s depth. We have enough talented players that we can rotate guys to keep them fresh. They don’t have that luxury. So there’s a better chance they’ll fade after 3 quarters or so. 

• Like 2

The Cal #1 QB injured his non-throwing shoulder in their first game. He could be available to play, but may not run as much as he normally would. But their #2 QB performed well.

Auburn was really curb-stomped by the UMass starting QB. Their offense ate up the Auburn defense with him at full speed. HOWEVER, he was injured at the end of their scoring drive. Immobilized after that.

And when the UMass #2 QB came in, Auburn began blitzing like crazy because he was not the running threat.

Cal presents a different situation.

1. Their defense is a lot better than UMass.
2. Their OL and RB are better than UMass.
3. Their #2 QB looks better than the UMass #2.

That said, I'm really hoping --

1. Auburn held back a LOT against UMass offensively. I want to see Fairweather eat them up.
2. Auburn's defensive coaches chewed azzz and maybe the DL and LBs will show up.
3. Auburn's special teams look a lot better than Cal's. Will it matter? I hope so.

I'm not sure why Auburn is so heavily favored by the odds-makers. Playing in Berkeley, very late at night, with time lag, I've got this game as a toss-up.

I HOPE Auburn exceeds all expectations and blows them out of their own stadium! WDE!

1 minute ago, AURex said:

The Cal #1 QB injured his non-throwing shoulder in their first game. He could be available to play, but may not run as much as he normally would. But their #2 QB performed well.

Auburn was really curb-stomped by the UMass starting QB. Their offense ate up the Auburn defense with him at full speed. HOWEVER, he was injured at the end of their scoring drive. Immobilized after that.

And when the UMass #2 QB came in, Auburn began blitzing like crazy because he was not the running threat.

1. Auburn held back a LOT against UMass offensively. I want to see Fairweather eat them up.
2. Auburn's defensive coaches chewed azzz and maybe the DL and LBs will show up.
3. Auburn's special teams look a lot better than Cal's. Will it matter? I hope so.

I'm not sure why Auburn is so heavily favored by the odds-makers. Playing in Berkeley, very late at night, with time lag, I've got this game as a toss-up.

I HOPE Auburn exceeds all expectations and blows them out of their own stadium! WDE!

I will be more than happy with a solid and steady workmanship-like win given the game location and time difference. Hoping it comes our way.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I hate to think what SEC play will look like if we don’t beat them pretty convincingly.

Yeah....Vandy becomes scary

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I hate to think what SEC play will look like if we don’t beat them pretty convincingly.

I am not sure about convincingly but a win is what’s needed. I expect the team to get better as the season goes along. Have to keep in mind this is a new staff and alot of new players. I am worried about the time difference. Especially after half time teams tend to come out lethargic. Seen it happen way too often. Hoping coach can have them adjust as best as possible.

• Thanks 1

That G5/non-power 5 talent is showing through tonight, especially on offense 

Edited by AUINSY

On 9/8/2023 at 9:40 PM, W.E.D said:

Yeah....Vandy becomes scary

Vandy won't be a cakewalk for us. I've said 6-6 all along and I still feel that way. Especially after the Cal game. We were VERY lucky to pull that out. 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, AURex said:

You called this game to a T. We were lucky to get out of there with a win last night.

13 hours ago, AUINSY said:

It starts at QB. The OL struggled a little, especially the Juco. And the WR are not getting separation. Where are shorter and hooks? TE Fairweather made some great catches but he was covered. He is just a beast. 

So confused by all of the sky is falling comments. Do any of you watch college football?  Have you watched Auburn before?  Two games into a 50%+ roster overhaul and you’re changing your predictions for games that are weeks away?  I don’t get it.  You think Hugh and Phillip just suddenly forgot how to coach offense?  I can tell you with 100% certainty no team in college football looks the same week 8 as they do in week 2, much less when coaching staff and key contributors are all new.

Give it time; enjoy the win; enjoy the moment.  The team came through when they needed to and that’s what matters most.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

O line did not look great in pass protection … especially Miller … really struggled … didn’t look great on run blocking either BUT we have some talented RB’s … got to hang on to the ball though

D looked pretty good … secondary seems to be solid … Asante is a baller

posted last week & will say it again here … Thorne is very average … sincerely hope I’m wrong 

15 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Hard disagree. I think talent was why we won that game. Offense played very sloppy. We’d blow them off the ball on a big run, then get called for holding the next play, which would stifle the drive. The talent is there. The coaches need to continue to drill for consistency. 

Edited by ScotsAU

27 minutes ago, nthemix said:

O line did not look great in pass protection … especially Miller … really struggled … didn’t look great on run blocking either BUT we have some talented RB’s … got to hang on to the ball though

D looked pretty good … secondary seems to be solid … Asante is a baller

posted last week & will say it again here … Thorne is very average … sincerely hope I’m wrong 

Thorne has just looked inconsistent.  Some of his passes were spot on, and those passes on the TD drive were perfectly placed. With others, it seemed like he didn’t quite know where the receiver was going. I have to wonder how much of this is just the lack of reps he’s had within the offense and with the receivers. 

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Hard disagree. I think talent was why we won that game. Offense played very sloppy. We’d blow them off the ball on a big run, then get called for holding the next play, which would stifle the drive. The talent is there. The coaches need to continue to drill for consistency. 

On defense, sure. On Cal special teams (lack of kicking talent), sure. On offense, no way. Our offense only had 2 drives beyond 5 plays and only 3 of more than 20 yards (just 1 of more than 30 yards) does not scream “talent”, especially against a team as mediocre as Cal. If that’s not righted quick, we will get blown out over and over. 

This is another one of those miracle games where a ref blew the call dead with the turnover early and had no reason to, costing the opponent the game, like Arkansas with Bo’s backward spike. Credit to the D for keeping us in it, and a win is a win.