I’m just sad man

GwillMac6

17 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Couldn’t tell you the last time I watched an AU football game and walked away saying, “that was fun”. 

2019 IB. Four years is too long.

Have patience...Walker White and Perry Thompson are coming.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We have the coaching staff to turn things around over the next few years but there ain’t no quick fix for what ails the Auburn offense.  It’s ugly, it’s been ugly for several years now and it’s likely to be ugly for a while longer.  We have some good looking RB’s that’s about it for the offense the rest is not SEC caliber.  

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

I fear we may just have to wait until Saban hangs it up for relevancy again. Freeze was the best coach who would take this job until that day.

Nick Saban hasn’t got a thing to do with the +6 yrs of Auburn fans having the exact same questions regarding our QB, online, WR, RBs, inept play calling and ineffective execution on offense OR the total lack of an offensive identity.  

Other programs are moving along, making improvements and gradually getting better, Auburn could and should have done the same.  Yet here we are in these threads puking up the same sour stomach acid we were in 2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023. The personnel has flipped but it’s the same old story, And Nick Saban has nothing to do with it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, creed said:

I just laugh at people who come on here and don't understand football. All they want is instant gratification..."I want a capable passing game" without understanding the passing game or its required components. Our team is currently in the "process" of making it better, it will take time, and our patience

P.S...and a couple cycles of really good OL recruiting...

IMG_5436.gif

IMG_4665.gif

IMG_4450.gif

• Like 1

I was hoping we would see a competitive team this year. We may be close  in some games, but like I saw @AEAugirl post in another thread, we could be down by 7 in the fourth and it feels like an insurmountable lead with this offense. Close games are not always competitive games if we don't have a real shot at winning. So this year ain't going to be it. 

Basketball season should bring some more optimism @GwillMac6. Take some comfort in that, at least. I'll enjoy dissecting the games with you on that board in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I dunno if we will ever get it. If we never get it with Freeze and Montgomery 2 prolific passing coaches it’s just never happening. It’s one thing to be bad on offense but we are unwatchable bad and BORING! And no I wasn’t under any delusions that this season we would all of sudden look like Tennessee from last season but with Freeze and P Monty I at least expected a solid passing offense. But noooooopeeeeeeeee another season another absolutely awful and abysmal passing offense. Sighhhhhhhh 😑🤦‍♂️😒…… 😭😭

IMG_5023.gif

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_4790.gif

Sounded like basketball before Bruce and it took Bruce some time 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Recruits will ultimately judge if they see momentum or not. Freeze has proven to be relentless, charming/likable, and can sell a vision (plus playing time and nil). However, he can only do the imagine if you will approach for so long. We’re no longer theoretical - recruits are watching these games now.

I don’t know if au/chf is a top 5 recruiting class combo - maybe - but to be viable, pretty soon we have to be at least top 10 in recruiting again. In your 2025 time frame - very soon.

Money talks. A bad season will not derail recruiting at all. Hell you can sell it for two seasons 

I tried to tell people last week that we were just not there yet and was told I didn't know what I was talking about. We have players coming in that should make things better next year but we have to be patient. Harsen left us in a place that we haven't been in a long time. Next year will be a step up then another the next year. I really believe in CHF. If you thought it was going to turn 180 in the first year you were fooling yourself or didn't realize the lack of talent we have at QB and WR. 

Auburn fans are going to have to come to grips with the fact that the problem is our lack of recruiting in the last several years.  No coach could right this ship in a handful of games -- because the problem isn't a coaching problem.  We have no 5 stars on a team playing in a league where there are 5 stars everywhere.  And we haven't had a decent offensive line in years.  I like Gus, but he stopped recruiting offensive linemen and Harsin didn't recruit anybody.  Hugh Freeze realizes how bad our talent situation is but it is going to take time.  His stop-gap solution of last year's transfer portal helped the situation, but it was just an effort to stop the hemorrhaging.  It is going to take serious recruiting to fix this problem.

We have no QB right now, and yet we had a 5 star legacy QB who had to leave our school that he has loved for his entire life because he realized that if he stayed here it would destroy his NFL potential because he was running for his life on every freaking play!  What our previous coaches have done to our offensive line should be considered a criminal act.

RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT!

• Like 4

Patience is a virtue. I was melting pretty hard but now I realize once Freeze gets his players in, we should see a turn for the better.  Apparently even he has said as much.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

I’m not panicking or melting down or anything like that. I figured at best this season was a 6-6 type year. What bothers me is how undisciplined and just bad the offense has looked. I see less talented teams that lose to more talented teams all the time but at least look like they have a plan.  Whats our identity? It reminds me so much of Gus where we just ran plays and it seemed like there was zero game specific  planning. 

Given the situation he inherited, there is no way I would advocate firing Freeze before his 4th or 5th year so thats not what this is about. He’s our coach for the foreseeable future.  My biggest question about him before we watched any games is the same after these first four games…What exactly did he do in the past that makes people think he is the guy that’s going to turn this ship around and end our up and down misery? He beat Saban a couple times and had a great year at Liberty. I get that he’s built some good offenses but he also has some baggage. I also get that apparently coaches weren’t beating down our door to come here. So, I’m on board because I have to be but not because I’m super hopeful or confident that come 2026 or 27 we won’t be searching again. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 2

On 9/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, aubaseball said:

This is true.  I think it won’t happen to at least 2025.   The question is…will the wolves be willing to suffer until then.  

well, the incumbents got a little more breathing room with Nix torching Deion's buffs.....well at least for a week. 

8 hours ago, bg5 said:

I tried to tell people last week that we were just not there yet and was told I didn't know what I was talking about. We have players coming in that should make things better next year but we have to be patient. Harsen left us in a place that we haven't been in a long time. Next year will be a step up then another the next year. I really believe in CHF. If you thought it was going to turn 180 in the first year you were fooling yourself or didn't realize the lack of talent we have at QB and WR. 

If I remember correctly most posted 6 or 7 win season. Means we fail a few times to the better teams. I think the problem is some we’re expecting the bad aTM team of last year but they definitely are better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Headland Tiger said:

I’m not panicking or melting down or anything like that. I figured at best this season was a 6-6 type year. What bothers me is how undisciplined and just bad the offense has looked. I see less talented teams that lose to more talented teams all the time but at least look like they have a plan.  Whats our identity? It reminds me so much of Gus where we just ran plays and it seemed like there was zero game specific  planning. 

Given the situation he inherited, there is no way I would advocate firing Freeze before his 4th or 5th year so thats not what this is about. He’s our coach for the foreseeable future.  My biggest question about him before we watched any games is the same after these first four games…What exactly did he do in the past that makes people think he is the guy that’s going to turn this ship around and end our up and down misery? He beat Saban a couple times and had a great year at Liberty. I get that he’s built some good offenses but he also has some baggage. I also get that apparently coaches weren’t beating down our door to come here. So, I’m on board because I have to be but not because I’m super hopeful or confident that come 2026 or 27 we won’t be searching again. 🤷‍♂️

The baggage had nothing to do with his coaching abilities.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Patience is a virtue. I was melting pretty hard but now I realize once Freeze gets his players in, we should see a turn for the better.  Apparently even he has said as much.

In back to back weeks in press conferences Freeze keeps telling people to be patient because he sees this team ain’t that good

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

In back to back weeks in press conferences Freeze keeps telling people to be patient because he sees this team ain’t that good

Yeah just saw the presser, do not know what to take from it.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:07 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t think it will matter. Because the rest of the SEC seems to be filling that Bama void. Meanwhile Aubie can’t even complete a forward pass consistently, as usual. 

It’s not that I think Hugh isn’t a good offensive mind or he can’t develop a QB. But I’m getting really turned off by the fact that he seems to have that same damn stubborn streak that Gus had. He’s going to just run the same sh** whether it’s working or not. 

CHF is not that stupid.  He understands what can happen if you don’t get the job done.  Gus….he was as stubborn as an ole mule. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:07 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

But I’m getting really turned off by the fact that he seems to have that same damn stubborn streak that Gus had. He’s going to just run the same sh** whether it’s working or not. 

If your OL is getting whooped constantly it doesn’t matter what you’re running, it ain’t gone work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, aubaseball said:

This is true.  I think it won’t happen to at least 2025.   The question is…will the wolves be willing to suffer until then.  

This is a fan base that is (understandably) real short on patience right now.  There was just too much to fix with one (even a good one) recruiting class.

I think the Freeze is probably as mystified with Thorne right now as we are - as in - what happened?  It's a real issue for sure.

Nothing to be done at this point except ride it out and hope it gets better sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, catvomit said:

Nothing to be done at this point except ride it out and hope it gets better sooner rather than later.

Yep, and I think I know whats coming between now and “sooner”.

image.gif.450a5f068bd65caf5e5ad285dd2a2df4.gif

I have plenty of patients and I didn't expect any more than 6 wins this year. Where I differ from most on this board is that IMO, in the new landscape of college/semipro football, this is just who we are. There isn't going to be a "give us 4 years and we're going to be great" scenario.

When we won it all in 2010, I said then that it was the last swan song for AU football. I was totally surprised that we went back in 2013.

Some have pointed to the win over Purdue as our last exciting game. In the new landscape we are Purdue, or GA tech, or Kentucky, or S. Carolina, or OK ST, or MI ST, etc, etc. That's our new socioeconomic position in college FB. Those who think that in  4 years or however many years that we're going to all of a sudden be in the AL, GA, LSU, MI, OH ST, category are going to be seriously disappointed. Sure there could always be a one off year where Villanova wins the national championship. But that didn't propel Villanova into the KY, Duke, NC, Kansas echelon of College Basketball.

I'm ok with our position. Some times it's fun to always be the underdog, pull off a few epic upsets, and maybe win something big once in a while.

Edited by gabo4au
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2

Lemme break it down for u cats on here.. It's simple really. The reality is, we will prob be 3-3 come Oct 13th. 

Our season will be made the last 6 games. Can we go 4-2 . If so, we got a bowl game and momentum.  It's doable, but Freeze has GOT to get this QB and offense an identity b4 Oct 13th. Living week to week and over analyzing the next two games ain't gonna cause nothing but an increase in zanax use.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Lemme break it down for u cats on here.. It's simple really. The reality is, we will prob be 3-3 come Oct 13th. 

Our season will be made the last 6 games. Can we go 4-2 . If so, we got a bowl game and momentum.  It's doable, but Freeze has GOT to get this QB and offense an identity b4 Oct 13th. Living week to week and over analyzing the next two games ain't gonna cause nothing but an increase in zanax use.

Yeah, we have to get better the 2nd half of the season because you're right about our record in the next few weeks.  Momentum after playing the UGA/LSU will be key to keeping the fanbase happy and keeping the recruits coming.  

1 hour ago, gabo4au said:

I have plenty of patients and I didn't expect any more than 6 wins this year. Where I differ from most on this board is that IMO, in the new landscape of college/semipro football, this is just who we are. There isn't going to be a "give us 4 years and we're going to be great" scenario.

When we won it all in 2010, I said then that it was the last swan song for AU football. I was totally surprised that we went back in 2013.

Some have pointed to the win over Purdue as our last exciting game. In the new landscape we are Purdue, or GA tech, or Kentucky, or S. Carolina, or OK ST, or MI ST, etc, etc. That's our new socioeconomic position in college FB. Those who think that in  4 years or however many years that we're going to all of a sudden be in the AL, GA, LSU, MI, OH ST, category are going to be seriously disappointed. Sure there could always be a one off year where Villanova wins the national championship. But that didn't propel Villanova into the KY, Duke, NC, Kansas echelon of College Basketball.

I'm ok with our position. Some times it's fun to always be the underdog, pull off a few epic upsets, and maybe win something big once in a while.

Name me some other schools in this lower socioeconomic position that have been to 2 national titles in the past 15 years? What happened to Auburn since 2017 was self inflicted, not due to us being a lower tier school. This is a mentality of accepting mediocrity, it was the mantra for those who wanted to hold on to Gus too long, and it worsened the problems that we are now suffering the repercussions (exacerbated by Harsin's debacle). I bet if I went back and asked you about Auburn basketball in 2013 you'd have told me the same thing, that we're just a lower tier SEC Basketball school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1