McGriff temporarily stepping aside from on field duties

Paladin

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly, who has been watching and thinks they should be retained.  

Um...me for Roberts. At least he shouldn't be discarded for 1 bad game. Until the LSU game, I had been impressed by Roberts. I'm not saying that retaining him would be worth losing McGriff or others. But I had been pleasantly surprised thus far. But if he is too difficult to keep around then of course they should look elsewhere.

I just am not sure if this is some rumor or if McGriff really does have a personal matter, or some of both. It feels like a damaging rumor without more info or insider knowledge. 

As far as the offense, I didn't expect it to to be this bad and am surprised that Freeze and Montgomery couldn't get more out of this group. Something seems out of wack and not sure who should go for things to be better in the future, but Montgomery seems like the obvious choice to get the axe if someone has to go. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yeah but that the good half its the other half that will cause problems

Do you just say your better half gives you problems? 

You just wait till I talk to her again! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not saying they should be fired or retained. Thats for Hugh to decide. Maybe he needs to take the Saban approach.  I can't remember the last time Saban fired a coordinator.  He usually just "finds another job for them".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Um...me for Roberts. At least he shouldn't be discarded for 1 bad game. Until the LSU game, I had been impressed by Roberts. I'm not saying that retaining him would be worth losing McGriff or others. But I had been pleasantly surprised thus far. But if he is too difficult to keep around then of course they should look elsewhere.

I just am not sure if this is some rumor or if McGriff really does have a personal matter, or some of both. It feels like a damaging rumor without more info or insider knowledge. 

As far as the offense, I didn't expect it to to be this bad and am surprised that Freeze and Montgomery couldn't get more out of this group. Something seems out of wack and not sure who should go for things to be better in the future, but Montgomery seems like the obvious choice to get the axe if someone has to go. 

Agree, the D was excellent before LSU, who has the best offense we will face. That side of the ball has been much better than expected, even with an O that can't stay on the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

image.jpeg.6acdfd55c6ae3b4e67d6309811295dad.jpeg

On 10/19/2023 at 10:12 PM, bigbird said:

Minus Caddy, Zac, and Marcus, right?

I hadn't heard that about Kodi.

Craig we know about 

T-Will instigated the coup and got everyone to blame Steele. 

@WarDamnEagleWDE, you wanna weigh in on this. 

Yep. Right behind Gus's back. Seem's Gus was so uninvolved with his football team,, he had no clue or didn't care. I was shocked that Gus offered the UCF DC job to T-Will, after being turned down by several others and even more shocked T-Will took it. You can see the character of T-Will for accepting the job, very little.   So much to say here but it's not worth it to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/19/2023 at 10:27 PM, W.E.D said:

Damn, T Will is a coup mastermind then got Gus to hire him again as DC

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seem in my 40 plus years of college football. Still to this day I can't believe it. But it happened. 

I'm not Steele fan but the only thing Steele did was make a list of which coaches / plan he would get / do if Gus was fired midseason.  When it came apparent Gus was going to get fired, was he interested in being a candidate for the job? That is pretty much it. Of course he said yes on the interest of the job. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, HAPvsOA said:

There was an altercation between the two. No one will say if it got physical or just words. McGriff walked off and quit. Roberts is a "get off my lawn" guy and very difficult to work with. His was or no way. Not 100% sure of this but told that Roberts said something he shouldn't have to one of McGriff's players and McGiffi jumped in and defended his guy.  McGriff is a Freeze guy, so he will be back. Roberts? Guess you can read between the lines here. So I'm told. 

• Thanks 5

On 10/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, TeamZero77 said:

Then later Harsin posts a picture of himself and Bo Nix with their arms around one another posing for a photo in the tunnel leading out to the field at Oregon!!! Yeah, really alot of hate there between those two.

There is a photo from Oregon’s spring game this year and Harsin’s son was on a visit, and Bo took a pic with them.  It wasn’t running out a tunnel before a game.  Harsin’s son is a QB recruit so it makes sense.  

What do you expect Bo to do?  He’s still got some class and it’s not Davis Harsin’s fault his dad was a terrible HC.  

• Like 3

Running victory laps bc Hugh hired a guy who was just fired bc he fought with the HC and the same thing happened here.

He should be fired now if he is so inappropriate 

When Hugh was hired, I was told that he may initially have problems hiring a staff and that it will more than likely be guys way down on his list or the list given to him by his agent.  His disservice to Houston Nutt has cost him in the coaching fraternity I was told.  Guys looking for a rebound or a second or third chance or young guys trying to break in would fill the staff and there would be no big time hires from other schools.

How Hugh handles this situation going forward may have significance importance on his future hires.

I think he has done a good job so far as the CEO of the football program and with the handling of his baggage that came with his hire.

Getting the staff that he needs/wants or getting the current staff to gel is one big obstacle that is needed to be accomplished.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

When Hugh was hired, I was told that he may initially have problems hiring a staff and that it will more than likely be guys way down on his list or the list given to him by his agent.  His disservice to Houston Nutt has cost him in the coaching fraternity I was told.  Guys looking for a rebound or a second or third chance or young guys trying to break in would fill the staff and there would be no big time hires from other schools.

How Hugh handles this situation going forward may have significance importance on his future hires.

I think he has done a good job so far as the CEO of the football program and with the handling of his baggage that came with his hire.

Getting the staff that he needs/wants or getting the current staff to gel is one big obstacle that is needed to be accomplished.

Houston Nutt?   Man, that’s been awhile hasn’t it?  Idk those specifics but geez, some ppl must enjoy resentment.  

12 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Houston Nutt?   Man, that’s been awhile hasn’t it?  Idk those specifics but geez, some ppl must enjoy resentment.  

It's actually a decent point. Hugh blamed Nutt for all the infections the NCAA was investigating them/him for. Essentially threw Nutt under the bus.

Nutt FOIA phone records, which was how the prostitute situation was discovered, during a lawsuit to clear his name. Which I believe ultimately did.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's actually a decent point. Hugh blamed Nutt for all the infections the NCAA was investigating them/him for. Essentially threw Nutt under the bus.

Nutt FOIA phone records, which was how the prostitute situation was discovered, during a lawsuit to clear his name. Which I believe ultimately did.

Oh, it was a nasty $#!t$#Ow between those two.  Nutt was pissed and hired Mars to run his defense, when Mars got Hugh’s phone records it was only for a short snippet of time, and the hooker # was investigated and Nutt literally knew he had enough to get Freeze fired.  When Ole Miss checked all of Hugh’s phone records, they found a pattern of misconduct. 

I wouldn’t put it past Nutt to try to further complicate Freeze’s career. Lord knows Nutt’s got nothing but time on his hands these days. 

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

His disservice to Houston Nutt

What?  😂

Houston Nutt did, in fact, commit some of the more egregious violations that the NCAA was investigating them for…including the academic fraud/fraudulent ACT tests…..in fact, the guy that he had handling that ended up moving to another smaller school and got busted AGAIN for academic fraud and was hit with an 8 year show cause.  

There is a reason Nutt hasn’t coached in 12 years and it doesn’t have anything to do with Ole Miss stating he was a part of the violations against them because it was true.  He got caught and went scorched earth and tried to make it seem like Ole Miss was slandering him and preventing him from getting other jobs which was laughable.  

Slander isn’t slander when it’s true.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

What?  😂

Houston Nutt did, in fact, commit some of the more egregious violations that the NCAA was investigating them for…including the academic fraud/fraudulent ACT tests…..in fact, the guy that he had handling that ended up moving to another smaller school and got busted AGAIN for academic fraud and was hit with an 8 year show cause.  

There is a reason Nutt hasn’t coached in 12 years and it doesn’t have anything to do with Ole Miss stating he was a part of the violations against them because it was true.  He got caught and went scorched earth and tried to make it seem like Ole Miss was slandering him and preventing him from getting other jobs which was laughable.  

Slander isn’t slander when it’s true.  

There were 21 violations and 15 level 1 violations.  4 of the 21 were against Hutt.  Hugh was plenty guilty and held the lion share of the infractions 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:38 AM, bigbird said:

Depending on who would replace Roberts, doesn’t seem data driven to replace DC. Defensively we have been credible even with very thin players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Depending on who would replace Roberts, doesn’t seem data driven to replace DC. Defensively we have been credible even with very thin players.

Again, whether he is or isn't has nothing to do with his scheme or their performance. 

I like the defense a lot. I wish we ran different coverages or disguised them better, but I see where he's going.

That said, there are good coaches that coach the same scheme. 

On 10/20/2023 at 11:06 AM, bigbird said:

First I've heard of this. There was a meeting but not over that. That's dumb. 

Yeah, I wonder why a disgraced coach would take any chances at a PR op, especially with the kid he ran off.  Do you really think Nix leaves for Oregon if they knew Harsin was gone? There was only one reason Nix left. That was the Harsins.

Harsin probably paid a NIl for the photo-op!!

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He is seemingly not to be the right culture fit that HuGH is looking for in the leader of his defense, is what people are trying to say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Again, whether he is or isn't has nothing to do with his scheme or their performance. 

I like the defense a lot. I wish we ran different coverages or disguised them better, but I see where he's going.

That said, there are good coaches that coach the same scheme. 

Why pay all that money to get same scheme unless his replacement is based on plat calls only. That may be people’s opinions but not data driven.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, AEAugirl said:

There is a photo from Oregon’s spring game this year and Harsin’s son was on a visit, and Bo took a pic with them.  It wasn’t running out a tunnel before a game.  Harsin’s son is a QB recruit so it makes sense.  

What do you expect Bo to do?  He’s still got some class and it’s not Davis Harsin’s fault his dad was a terrible HC.  

This makes alot of sense. Thx for the info.