11.21.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

for Auburn offense

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

This Thanksgiving, make Auburn Undercover one of your Black Friday steals.

With football season set to wind down, basketball just getting started and a big recruiting month on tap for December, we're now offering our best deal of the year: 75 percent off an annual subscription to Auburn Undercover, giving you access to all our premium content, message boards and more. 

Don't forget: A subscription allows you to view VIP content on ANY SITE on our network. This deal allows includes a Paramount Plus subscription, which will be active with your 247Sports login and password AFTER the end of the promotional period on Nov. 28.

Be sure to hop on board before Hugh Freeze and his staff finish their 2024 recruiting class with a bang. At this price, you'll be paying 51 cents per week for full access to our content.

If you take advantage of this deal, you'll receive our exclusive Auburn Undercover recruiting coverage, in-depth, members-only content, and access to our popular message boards, which provide you unlimited direct access to largest team of Auburn insiders on the planet. Ask them any question and they will answer. Here's what you can expect.

RECRUITING SCOOP. The best and most frequent Auburn recruiting coverage anywhere from Christian Clemente, Jason Caldwell and Phillip Dukes.

— FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL. Follow the football team from the inside, with knowledge and much more breaking news and scoops as we provide intel from behind the scenes. Get to know the personalities that make Auburn football what it is. Simply put, you get the coverage you will not find anywhere else.

FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL SCOOP. Insider info and analysis from behind closed doors of Auburn's football program. Phillip Marshall is the dean of Auburn sports writers. You'll get his VIP column, plus his "Unhinged Thoughts" every day on The Bodda Getta message board. His knowledge of Auburn history, along with his deep connections to the program, provides an unmatched source for news, analysis and opinion on the Auburn beat. Jason covers all bases in all sports with intel and provides the latest on baseball. He's deep in the thick of things in all sports, providing scoops across athletics. Our lead beat reporter and podcast host, Nathan King, provides advanced analysis and insight of both the football and basketball programs. He'll also take you beyond the stat sheet with in-depth stories about the athletes, coaches and people of Auburn athletics.

— EXTENSIVE BASKETBALL COVERAGE. Nobody covers Pearl's team like Auburn Undercover, where we've got previews, in-game live threads, immediate postgame analysis, podcasts and more. You don't want to miss out.

BREAKING NEWS AND LIVE UPDATES. We don't sit around waiting for news to happen. We break it. From new offers, recruit visit intel, injuries, moves on the depth chart and chatter behind closed doors, we report it all. Who could be next to commit? What’s going on inside the athletic department?  We have the answers in our VIP intel.

CRYSTAL BALL. 247Sports is also the home to the Crystal Ball, the place to find the most accurate predictions as to where recruits will land. There is no other site that will bring you more in-depth coverage of the Auburn Tigers.

THE AUBURN UNDERCOVER PODCAST. Nathan hosts the most popular podcast in the Auburn market. Join him every week as he breaks down all aspects of Auburn athletics, and is often joined by a guest or two.

***** ACTIVATE YOUR 75% OFF SUBSCRIPTION HERE *****

HURRY. This promotion ends Nov. 28, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EDT

Terms: This deal will end at 11:59 p.m. ET 11/28/2023. This promotion is for new or monthly members. 247Sports.com reserves the right to alter or cancel this promotion at any time. Please write support@247sports.com with any questions you have. 

i borrow their stuff allthe time so i figured this was only fair.

247sports.com

Auburn Opponent Preview Milroe leads Alabama offense

Jason Caldwell
4–6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—Heading into the final game of the 2023 regular season, Auburn’s defense has another tough test in front of it when Jalen Milroe and the Alabama offense rolls into Jordan-Hare Stadium for the 2:30 p.m. kickoff on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Currently 16th nationally in scoring offense, averaging 36.5 points per game, the Crimson Tide is averaging just 229 passing yards per game, but all stats aren’t created equal. Throwing for just 195 yards per game in the first five games of the season with six touchdowns and three interceptions, Alabama has taken off under the guidance of Milroe.

Starting with a game against Texas A&M on October 7, Alabama is averaging 257 passing yards over the last six games with 13 touchdowns and just three interceptions. The key for that improvement has been the play of Milroe.

“You know, we did not fare well against a kid similar to him down in LSU,” Freeze said of his defense. “And now he's (Milroe) playing at a very high level with good receivers and good running backs. It's a very difficult task for sure. I don't know that you completely do that. You gotta hope that you do limit those explosive plays somewhat, but stopping him, no one's really done that, so we've gotta mix up the coverages, mix up the plan, figure out if we can get pressure to him or not. Do we need a spy? I mean, you've got all those things going through our heads right now and how much can our kids handle and do really, really well against all the different sets you might see.”

Throwing just 214 passes in 10 games, Milroe comes into the game completing 66.4 percent of his passes for 2,267 yards and 19 touchdowns with six interceptions. Only Jayden Daniels is averaging more yards per attempt than Milroe’s 10.6 this season.

But Alabama is much more than Milroe with receivers Jermaine Burton and Isaiah Bond developing as legitimate threats for the Alabama offense over the course of the season. Burton leads the way with 642 yards and six touchdowns on just 29 catches while Bond has 34 receptions for 467 yards and three scores. After catching just eight passes for 189 yards in the first five games, Burton has 21 catches in the last five games and four touchdowns.

While the Alabama running game doesn’t have one dominant back this season, they can still run it well after struggling early in the season. Jase McClellan leads the way with 737 yards on the ground with Roydell Williams second on the team with 467 yards and three scores. 

That brings us back to Milroe. Despite losing 247 yards due to sacks this season, he still has 332 yards on the ground and a team-high 12 rushing touchdowns.

Up front, the Alabama offensive line is one of the biggest in the country and continues to show improvement after a slow start. Still one of the worst in the country at giving up sacks, allowing 38 this season, Alabama’s front five is led by senior center Seth McLaughlin, junior right tackle JC Latham and sophomore left guard Tyler Booker.

LT 

74 Kadyn Proctor 6-7 360 Fr. Des Moines, Iowa 

57 Elijah Pritchett 6-6 312 R-Fr. Columbus, Ga.

LG 

52 Tyler Booker 6-5 352 So. New Haven, Conn.

69 Terrence Ferguson II 6-4 322 R-So. Fort Valley, Ga. 

C

56 Seth McLaughlin 6-4 305 Sr. Buford, Ga.

58 James Brockermeyer 6-3 285 R-So. Fort Worth, Texas 

RG 

77 Jaeden Roberts 6-5 316 R-So. Houston, Texas OR

71 Darrian Dalcourt 6-3 320 Gr. Havre de Grace, Md.

RT 

65 JC Latham 6-6 360 Jr. Oak Creek, Wis.

54 Miles McVay 6-6 350 Fr. East Saint Louis, Ill. 

TE 

81 CJ Dippre 6-5 257 Jr. Scranton, Pa. OR 

87 Danny Lewis Jr. 6-5 255 R-Fr. New Iberia, La.

84 Amari Niblack 6-4 233 So. Saint Petersburg, Fla. OR 

45 Robbie Ouzts 6-4 265 Jr. Rock Hill, S.C. 

QB 

4 Jalen Milroe 6-2 220 R-So. Katy, Texas 

15 Ty Simpson 6-2 203 R-Fr. Martin, Tenn. 

8 Tyler Buchner 6-1 215 R-So. San Diego, Calif. 

12 Dylan Lonergan 6-2 212 Fr. Snellville, Ga. 

RB 

2 Jase McClellan 5-11 212 Sr. Aledo, Texas

5 Roydell Williams 5-10 214 Sr. Hueytown, Ala. 

26 Jam Miller 5-10 211 So. Tyler, Texas

22 Justice Haynes 5-11 205 Fr. Buford, Ga. 

WR (Z)

3 Jermaine Burton 6-0 194 Sr. Calabasas, Calif.

19 Kendrick Law 5-11 201 So. Shreveport, La.

18 Shazz Preston 6-0 202 R-Fr. Saint James, La.

WR (X) 

11 Malik Benson 6-1 195 Jr. Lansing, Kan. OR

14 Jalen Hale 6-1 189 Fr. Longview, Texas 

WR (H) 

17 Isaiah Bond 5-11 182 So. Buford, Ga.

6 Kobe Prentice 5-10 182 So. Calera, Ala.

13 Cole Adams 5-10 186 Fr. Owasso, Okla

• Thanks 2

al.com

How Auburn’s Iron Bowl first-timers said they’re preparing for Alabama

Published: Nov. 21, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn’s new look roster will get its first experience of the heated, intense, drama-filled Iron Bowl rivalry this weekend as Alabama comes to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn brought in around 40 new faces between the freshman class and the transfer portal in head coach Hugh Freeze’s first year. So Freeze, like the rest of them, will learn what it takes to play in this game for the first time.

A handful of Iron Bowl first-timers spoke to reporters on Monday — including some like linebacker Eugene Asante who were on the team last year but did not play. Here’s what they had to say of growing up watching the Iron Bowl and getting ready to put on an Auburn helmet in that game for the first time.

Head coach Hugh Freeze

“Man, what a what a rivalry to be a part of. We’re going to try to educate our young man as best we can with use of former players and the history of this great game. And hopefully they have a clear understanding of what it means to so many people.”

Quarterback Payton Thorne

“Extremely excited. I know the importance of this game and how much this means to, obviously us who are in it, but also the people that have grown up around it. I understand that and understand that’s a big responsibility. I’m excited to play my part in it and do everything I can to come home with a win.”

Jack linebacker Elijah McAllister

“You know it’s the greatest rivalry in all of college football. I grew up watching it and knowing how big it is. My teammates have been super expressive about how important this week is, particularly like Luke Deal, Kam Stutts, those guys have been here a long time. They’ve been expressive about how important this game is and how it means more than pretty much any game on the schedule.”

Offensive lineman Gunner Britton

“It means a lot to me. Obviously growing up and watching SEC football, I’ve watched many Iron Bowl games. To be able to play in one is really special to me. It’s part of the reason I came to Auburn, it’s one of the games I knew was going to be highlighted. Through my entire journey in the last couple of months kind of seeing it come to an end, I only have a month left here and this is one of my last two games I’ll get to play, it’s going to be really special.

It’s going to be senior night. I’m going to have a lot of family on the field with people who helped me get to this moment in my life. It’s going to be a really good time, I can’t wait to play in it.”

Linebacker Eugene Asante

“Certainly something I’m excited for. I didn’t get to play in this game last year. I was actually at home watching this game last year. Just seeing all the guys talk about all the history and the tradition. Seeing the alumni just come back and give us words of wisdom in terms of this game. It’s a big game to a lot of people, and we understand that. I certainly understand that and I want to go out there and put my best foot forward. For the rest of the team, we have to continue to preach that. We’ve got to continue to let them know how big this game is to a lot of people. Ultimately, come out there and play our best game.”

Jack linebacker Jalen McLeod

“Of course I am, because Alabama’s got the best dynasty in all of college football they say. It’s a big opportunity for me to showcase against one of the best teams.”

Kickoff for the Iron Bowl is set for 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday and will be aired on CBS.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

Casagrande: What happened to the Iron Bowl?

Published: Nov. 21, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
6–7 minutes

This is an opinion column.

Times, they are strange.

It’s Iron Bowl week in the United States and the buzz sounds more like a hum. If it weren’t for ex-Alabama receiver Marquis Maze dropping Spike 80DF on social media Monday morning, this could feel like any other college football game week.

Where’s the juice?

Who besides Maze and the triggered masses are bringing that heat?

Down in Auburn on Monday, you had Hugh Freeze going full Eeyore kicking off the media gauntlet. His news conference opening statement sounded almost despondent, understandable given his team just got bullied into a 31-10 loss to New Mexico State but not exactly setting an emotional tone for his first Iron Bowl.

Asked if he was worried about his players getting too amped up for Saturday, Freeze sounded the opposite alarm.

“Most everybody I’ve seen it’s like they’re in a fog from what happened Saturday,” Freeze said. “We’ve got to snap out of that fast And so I need to see a little amped up come practice today and tomorrow.”

On Iron Bowl week.

Let that linger for a minute.

This is the same Hugh Freeze who stood at a podium in that same spot last Nov. 29 dropping Iron Bowl warning shots. The day he was introduced as Auburn’s new football coach saw Freeze talk about his relationship with Nick Saban and wife Terry. They’re great friends, Freeze said “but I hope they’re a little nervous today.”

Asked Monday if this team was capable of responding after what Freeze called “an embarrassment,” the new-hire swagger was missing.

“Yeah, I don’t know yet,” Freeze said. “I sure hope so.”

Welp, we’ll see, I suppose.

On the bright side, Vegas has taken a more optimistic view of this Iron Bowl than the previous three. Since Alabama lost in 2019 as a 3.5-point favorite, the Crimson Tide have been favored by north of 20 points in each of the last three meetings.

That’s staggering.

Even more jarring, they covered twice with the exception coming in 2021. The last trip to Jordan-Hare turned into a real slap fight with Alabama escaping a 24-22 winner in four overtimes despite being favored by 20.5 points.

This year, the spread is right around 14.5. That’s notable given the Crimson Tide momentum and the fact Auburn’s still waking up from losing a game by 21 after being favored by 25.

Meanwhile, the center of rivalry-week gravity is way north of here.

Michigan-Ohio State has long been an Iron Bowl contemporary, but this Big Ten border feud is taking it to another level. We’re talking espionage, disinformation campaigns, coaching suspensions and court dates.

Makes one wistful for 2010.

Playing in the shadow of still-unresolved-recruiting allegations, Cam Newton took the Bryant-Denny Stadium field to musical selections that would get the in-house DJ fired. Playing “Take the Money and Run” and “Son of a Preacher Man” was the perfect opening act to the first of four iconic Auburn wins in the 2010s.

Of course, that’s also the year Al from Dadeville became a household name in the most shameful moment of this rivalry. But that was the act of one criminally misguided fan. What’s going on with those teams up north is like a fling between the Houston Astros scandal and Watergate.

We’re talking serious billable hours.

And that’ll make Ann Arbor the focus of a college football nation Saturday afternoon. If you use the ESPN College GameDay location as a barometer, the traveling cable sports circus has been to three straight Ohio State-Michigan games instead of the Iron Bowl. It came to Tuscaloosa for a no-crowd broadcast during the 2020 season. Not since 2017 in Auburn has Lee Corso done the mascot head thing in front of witnesses on Iron Bowl weekend.

This year, SEC Nation will be the warmup act on campus.

And it’s crazy considering the backdrop for this year’s game. Auburn will honor the 2013 SEC championship team before kickoff in a stark reminder of where things were. Nobody who has read this far has any trouble identifying the historical significance of what happened on that Jordan-Hare Stadium grass a decade ago. The pregame hype was there too as The Birmingham News dubbed it “The Mother of All Iron Bowls.”

It was part of a four-year span when GameDay came to three Iron Bowls on a day Chris Davis became an icon and those poor bushes got trampled.

Those were the days.

Now this reunion in Auburn isn’t without storylines. It marks the return of former Tiger interim head coach and spurned candidate Kevin Steele as Alabama’s defensive coordinator. Crimson Tide defensive back Malachi Moore said the locker room will “definitely going to be trash-talking” cornerbacks coach and Auburn graduate Travaris Robinson all week.

Otherwise, this is looking like a slow-burn Iron Bowl week.

Anecdotal evidence comes in the form of a highly unscientific social media poll asking to gauge excitement. It drew a tepid response.

So, stay tuned.

The Iron Bowl’s been known to solar flare when you’d least expect it, take two years ago as an example. Few were expecting a classic when Bryan Harsin’s only shot at Alabama came stunningly close to successful so … anything is possible?

Just not likely.

Strange times, indeed.

Michael Casagrande is a reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @ByCasagrande or on Facebook.

247sports.com

Auburn trying to clear the fog heading into Iron Bowl

Jason Caldwell
8–10 minutes

• EPIC SALE! 75% Off AuburnUndercover Annual VIP Membership today!

• Image Title

Auburn football takes on Alabama in the Iron Bowl this Saturday.

AUBURN, Alabama—The movie ‘The Fog’ came out in 1980, but it’s appropriate viewing for the Auburn Tigers this week as they come off a 31-10 loss to New Mexico State on Saturday. While some games might be met with anger in losing or talking about missed opportunities, this one was more about disbelief for Hugh Freeze and the Tigers.

While there’s always the thought of not peaking too early for a rivalry game like the Iron Bowl, Freeze said for him this week is more about getting his guys to get the edge back they’ve had for much of the season.

I haven't given that a lot of thought, because I'm so ticked off at the way we played,” Freeze said. “I think the biggest temptation you have right now is trying to make sure you don't overdo the game plan and try to do too much because you think you've got to do this, this, this and this and this to have a chance to to win against one of the elite teams in the country.

“So I think you've got to guard against that for sure. The over amped up, I haven't sensed because most everybody I've seen it's like they're in a fog from what happened Saturday. We've got to snap out of that fast And so I need to see a little amped up come practice today and tomorrow.”

A senior transfer heading into his first and only Iron Bowl, offensive lineman Gunner Britton said there’s only one thing that can fix what happened against New Mexico State.

“I mean, for me it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth,” Britton said. “The only way to get it out is to go win this weekend. That's the big thing, the only way to forget about this game is to kind of move on and try to right the wrongs of last weekend with this weekend.”

For the Auburn defense, Saturday’s loss is even more frustrating after how well the Tigers played in previous games. With an Alabama offense up next that has been rolling with Jalen Milroe at quarterback, defensive back Keionte Scott said they’ve got to get back right and in a hurry.

“Definitely a fog -- just the surprise of wondering what, when, where and how,” Scott said. “Just as far as clearing that up, it's just understanding and realizing and comprehending what happened, accepting it, leaders accepting it, coaches accepting it. Then moving on and understanding we can't do anything with the past, and just standing on what's happening in the future.”

A veteran quarterback in his fourth season as a starter, Payton Thorne has seen it all as a player during his time at Michigan State and now at Auburn. With the task of having to respond following Saturday’s letdown, Thorne said it’s put up or shut up time for the Tigers.

You have to make a decision. And you have to almost do something to say, ‘Ok, now it’s over and we’re moving forward.’ You’ve got to get the guys together. You’ve got to do yourself, mentally, and say, ‘OK, we have to accept what just happened and be done with it because you can’t do anything about it now and move forward.’

“Obviously, you want to learn from it. But I think that now is not the time. We know what we have going this week. We’ll learn from that later on and we’ll remember that throughout our careers, all of us, and learn the lesson we need to from that. But now it’s time to flush it and be done with it and move forward with the task at hand this week.”

Auburn's rebuild 'no excuse' for upset loss to New Mexico State

"It's my job to have them ready, and it's our coaches' jobs."

Alabama lost to Louisiana-Monroe in Year 1 under Nick Saban before embarking on one of the best runs in the sport’s history. Just two years ago, Florida State lost at home to Jacksonville State and has a clear path to this year’s College Football Playoff.

There’s plenty of examples of power programs falling inexplicably to teams that are — or should be — at a severe talent and coaching disadvantage, and it ending up as a simple blip on the radar of an otherwise successful tenure.

Hugh Freeze isn’t interested in invoking any of them.

“This is not the first program in Year 1 to have some tough losses like this,” Freeze said Monday. “I could go down the list and mention some, but you probably know who they are better than I. But we’re in a rebuild. That’s no excuse for what happened Saturday.”

Auburn’s stunning loss Saturday evening — 31-10 at the hands of New Mexico State, which was previously winless in its history against Power Five teams — is still lingering for the Tigers as Iron Bowl week kicks off. Freeze said most people he’s talked to are still “in a fog” over what transpired at Jordan-Hare Stadium

The Tigers obviously don’t need any extra motivation to snap out of that rut this week: It’s the Iron Bowl, which always carries a different feeling and energy for both Auburn and Alabama, regardless of the team’s records.

All may not be forgiven if Auburn pulls off an upset, but it could help to replace the bitterness from one of the worst defeats in program history.

Auburn has come close to this result in recent seasons — a loss to a non-Power Five team — but it’s always been able to pull it out late: 2012 against Louisiana-Monroe; 2015 against Jacksonville State; 2017 against Mercer; 2018 against Southern Miss; 2021 against Georgia State; and 2022 against San Jose State.

Freeze knows Saturday was especially painful for a program that’s been at one of its lowest points over the past few seasons. If Auburn loses its last two games, it will have three straight losing seasons for the first time since 1975-77.

“The Auburn faithful, they have persevered through a lot of things,” Freeze said. “And they show up. I’ve already apologized 100 times for the effort that we did not give them Saturday.”

Auburn players admitted after the loss that they got “comfortable” riding a three-game winning streak. Freeze felt those complacent vibrations Saturday morning and couldn’t fix them in time to avoid disaster.

“I was nervous, anxious about how we would handle the success of three straight and becoming bowl eligible and check that box, and now you got Alabama next,” Freeze said. “And sometimes I can talk myself into believing things, and so you have to kind of balance that. But I told my wife Saturday morning I'm really concerned about — are we really ready to understand you have to earn the right to win a game?

“... But it's my job to have them ready, and it's our coaches' jobs. And we, as a staff, this morning had a lot of heart to hearts, and, obviously we failed in getting that message across to our young men.”

Freeze has been working to get a read on this team’s mindset this season, and how he and his coaching staff needs to prepare and react from an off-the-field standpoint. The responses have been mostly positive, even during a four-game losing streak, but the New Mexico State upset was only the second time this season he indicated that the effort level was poor — and players admitted their focus was off with the Iron Bowl on deck. A 48-18 loss at LSU was the other.

“One of the things I think is the greatest challenge we have probably now — in these college football rooms, team rooms, staffing — is true connection just to where, ‘Man, I'm really playing for you and I'm really playing for the school,’” Freeze said. And when we have that true connection in a relationship, you can really hold each other accountable. That's something I've got to work on for us to feel more connected for when you get hit in the face like you did Saturday.

“Now we've quickly got to turn the page and put that behind us for sure, because we all know what the Iron Bowl means to so many. And you can fix your feelings a whole heck of a lot with a good performance in that game.”

Now it’s coming up on Game 12. Freeze knows his team pretty well now. Is this team capable of clearing their minds quick enough to Crimson Tide?

“I don't know yet,” Freeze said. “I sure hope so.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

247sports.com

Alabama wary of Auburns superpowers in Iron Bowls at JordanHare

Nathan King

4–5 minutes

No, the Tigers weren't imbued with superhuman strength the last time they faced their arch rival at home.

But Iron Bowls in Jordan-Hare Stadium can feel that way.

Even on the heels of a mind-numbing upset, 31-10 at the hands of New Mexico State, Auburn's ability to feed off its home crowd and play up to the level of Alabama is something the Crimson Tide know all too well about.

It was just two seasons ago that Auburn — without starting quarterback Bo Nix, and with injured backup T.J. Finley hobbling up and down the field in the second half — nearly defeated No. 3 Alabama and Heisman winner Bryce Young. Led by a defense that produced seven sacks and held Alabama scoreless in the first half, the Tigers took Alabama to four overtimes before falling 24-22.

Auburn was a 20.5-point underdog entering that game. Alabama is favored by 14.5 this weekend.

"I heard some of my teammates say that Jordan-Hare, it gives their players superpowers," Alabama offensive guard Tyler Booker said Monday on The Next Round radio program in Birmingham.

Another Herculian defensive effort against Jalen Milroe and crew certainly wouldn't be a bad starting point for Auburn, especially after New Mexico State went up and down the field with ease in the program's first-ever win over a Power Five opponent. Of the defensive playmakers in that 2021 Iron Bowl, three-year starter Marcus Harris is the only one left on this year's team who had one of the seven sacks on Young.

Auburn held the Crimson Tide without a touchdown until Young found Ja'Corey Brooks on a 28-yard touchdown with 24 seconds left to force overtime.

"I was asked earlier if (New Mexico State) ranked as one of my worst losses," Harris said Monday. "I would say the Iron Bowl (in 2021) was my worst loss. We’ve got to come out with that same intensity, that same attitude. We’re facing the same type quarterback, a dual-threat quarterback. We’ve got to focus on getting pressure on him and getting him uncomfortable."

Auburn hopes it can quickly snap out of the "fog" that settled in following Saturday's upset, and Alabama certainly doesn't believe it will have any added advantage because of the loss.

"Once I saw the score, I was like, 'Oh wow, that's interesting,'" Booker said. "But I know at the end of the day, that has nothing to do with what's going to happen Saturday."

Much was made when Hugh Freeze was hired of his two wins over Nick Saban while at Ole Miss, as Freeze is still the only active SEC head coach with multiple victories over Alabama. And now Freeze will get his first crack at the Iron Bowl — and he hopes his home crowd will be "at another level" to help him out.

Saban is an even 4-4 at Jordan-Hare Stadium since taking over at Alabama in 2007 — including the Kick Six, which celebrates its 10-year anniversary Saturday, and other wild finishes, like his team's own win in four overtimes, and Gus Malzahn's fourth-down trickery to draw a game-winning penalty in 2019.

But Saban doesn't buy into the idea of fluke outcomes.

"People talk about all the crazy stuff that happens in this game," Saban said Monday. "But since I've been here, the team that should have won the game won the game based on who played the best. So I think the focus needs to be on how are we going to play and how are we going to execute and do what we do and what kind of consistency are we going to be able to maintain in a difficult environment.

"We've had this challenge several times before, and this one's going to be just as difficult as any of the rest."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

247sports.com

Jason Caldwells Monday morning quarterback column

Jason Caldwell

4–5 minutes

Opportunity ahead

The old saying ‘there’s no sense crying over spilt milk’ holds true today as Auburn begins game week in preparation for the Iron Bowl game against Alabama. Even though Auburn did more than spill some milk on Saturday, nothing can be done about now except to turn the page and get ready to face an Alabama team that is playing its best football of the season heading into the Saturday kickoff at 2:30 p.m. on CBS.

Just one week ago, most everyone I ran into believed that Auburn had a great chance to win the game or push Alabama to the limit. Now I’m hearing people talk about the Tigers having no chance against the Crimson TIde. My guess is, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Does Auburn have to play better than it did on Saturday? Of course it does. Can this team play well enough to win the game? Absolutely it can. Auburn went on the road and dominated an Arkansas team that pushed Alabama to the limit in Tuscaloosa.

Does that mean much come Saturday? No it doesn’t, but neither does what we saw on Saturday. It was a brutally bad game for the Tigers, but it won’t matter when the ball is kicked off in the Iron Bowl. If Auburn can run the football and the defense can find the mojo it’s had for much of the season, this one could go right down to the wire like we’ve seen so many times in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Bowl thoughts

With one week left in the regular season, Auburn likely needs a win over Alabama to really impact its bowl position in year one under Hugh Freeze. What we know is that the league will likely have at least one team in the College Football Playoffs with Georgia and Alabama meeting next week in Atlanta. If both teams don’t make it in, the next team would be in a New Year’s Six game. If Missouri finishes off its regular season with a win over Arkansas, the Tigers would also be in a New Year’s Six game. 

That would leave six teams to fill bowl games unless either South Carolina or Florida were to win this weekend and become eligible. Both take on rivals with South Carolina hosting Clemson and Florida hosting Florida State.

Provided both Ole Miss and LSU win, it seems pretty cut and dried that the Rebels would be in the Citrus Bowl while LSU would likely head to Tampa for the ReliaQuest Bowl. A Tennessee win over Vanderbilt makes them 8-4 and probably puts them in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. 

After that it’s anyone’s guess. I would have Texas A&M in the Texas Bowl, which leaves Auburn and Kentucky as 6-win teams. With the Wildcats playing in Nashville last season, I think the Tigers would head to the Music City Bowl on December 30 against someone from the Big 10. I’ll go with a rematch of Auburn’s bowl opponent in 2009 with the Northwestern Wildcats the opponent for the Tigers.

Hoops playing well early

Auburn was better than both Notre Dame and St. Bonaventure and the Tigers showed that last week in Brooklyn with two solid games as coach Bruce Pearl’s team continues to find its footing for the 2023-24 season. Maybe the most impressive thing about the team so far this season is the depth that has stepped up. After four games, Auburn has seven players averaging over 5.0 points per game with Chris Moore and Chaney Johnson not included in the group.

The key for this team may be the duos at the point guard and center position. With true freshman Aden Holloway teaming up with sophomore Tre Donaldson running the show and Johni Broome and Dylan Cardwell playing well together at the five spot, Auburn has some firepower at the two most important spots on the floor. That’s especially true at point guard, a position in college basketball that is vital to making a run in the postseason. As both Holloway and Donaldson continue to get experience and find a rhythm, this team has a chance to build some serious momentum despite facing a tough non-conference schedule coming up.

al.com

What does Hugh Freeze remember about facing Nick Saban-led teams and how will Auburn prepare?

Published: Nov. 20, 2023, 1:40 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze had just gotten off the podium at SEC Media Days in July and was making his next stop through the media carwash: a television interview with SEC Network.

To the surprise of few, it didn’t take long for Freeze to be asked about coaching within the same state lines of Alabama head coach Nick Saban.

And to the surprise of even fewer, Freeze gushed with respect.

“I respect the King,” Freeze said. “I respect the gold standard. I respect the heck out of it.”

Freeze went on to say that he considers Saban a good friend, adding that the two coaches and their wives have previously vacationed together.

“I know that’s hard for a lot of people to hear,” Freeze admitted, knowing being on the opposite side of the Iron Bowl rivalry could get in the way of future Freeze-Saban family vacations.

But don’t get it twisted.

As much respect as he has for Saban and the job he’s done with the football program up in Tuscaloosa, he understands that one of his biggest tasks as the head coach at Auburn is to beat the Crimson Tide.

“I want to beat him,” Freeze said. “I want to measure ourselves against the gold standard.”

Beating Saban on Saturday wouldn’t be a first for Freeze.

When Freeze was the head coach at Ole Miss from 2012-16, he and the Rebels beat Saban and the Crimson Tide twice in five meetings – once in 2014 and once in 2015.

With those pair of wins, Freeze is one of just three coaches to beat “the King” more than once. Former Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and former LSU head coach Les Miles are the only others, each with three wins over Saban.

Come Saturday, Freeze will have an opportunity to pick up his third win against Saban. And if he learned anything from playing Saban-led teams in the past, he knows Saturday’s Iron Bowl matchup at Jordan-Hare Stadium will be a physical test for the Tigers – especially on offense.

“His teams are always physical and they’re always going to tackle well. You see that very vividly on these tapes, also,” Freeze said.

Conversely, Auburn is coming off a game that saw its defense miss more tackles and the Tigers’ previous three games combined, Freeze said Monday.

Not to mention, the Tigers were dominated in the trenches by the New Mexico Aggies in Saturday’s humbling 31-10 loss.

“Lesson in humility, for sure,” Freeze said. “As good as we were offensive line, defensive line, special teams at Arkansas, we were equally as bad in all three Saturday.”

And that leaves Freeze and the Tigers having to go full-stop, leave what’s in the rearview mirror in the rearview mirror and try to turn the page – something Freeze said Monday he’s uncertain how his team will respond to.

As of Freeze’s Monday morning press conference, he’d yet to meet with the team as a whole.

“I wish I had a better pulse for that, but I haven’t seen them yet,” Freeze said. “But that’s going to be a good test for all of us to see how we respond.”

But how, exactly, will Freeze know if his team is responding to the challenge?

It comes down to the Tigers’ preparation.

Last week’s practices left plenty to be desired, Freeze said Monday. So much so he actually told his wife he was anxious heading into Saturday’s game against New Mexico State given the effort during the week.

So that’s where turning the page has to start this week.

And knowing what Freeze knows about Saban-led football teams, not only will the effort need to be there in practice this week, but there’s an additional layer, too.

“Tuesday’s practice needs to be physical. It needs to set the tone of what this game’s going to be like, and you’re going to get punched in the mouth this game,” Freeze said. “You better be ready to respond. It’s going to be a physical test of your will, and of you physically, also.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

Thanx Fiddy. Rainy day here so will listen to Tiger Talk this morning. Went out yesterday afternoon knowing weather moving in and the fish cooperated. 

Admit I used to sorta dislike Bammer week and IB day. Guess a little nervous due to despising those folks. Handle it much better these days. Lots of family/friends coming in and looking forward to a great time.

Hope this morning finds you well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanx Fiddy. Rainy day here so will listen to Tiger Talk this morning. Went out yesterday afternoon knowing weather moving in and the fish cooperated. 

Admit I used to sorta dislike Bammer week and IB day. Guess a little nervous due to despising those folks. Handle it much better these days. Lots of family/friends coming in and looking forward to a great time.

Hope this morning finds you well.

i am working through things and getting an update today from my doctor. i might not watch the ironbowl as i have bigger worries.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am working through things and getting an update today from my doctor. i might not watch the ironbowl as i have bigger worries.

Hope you get a positive update. Understand the anxiety.