MBB: AU vs App State

RunInRed

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

The issue is less about getting into the tournament vs what happens if we get there.  Without massive ball movement and shooting improvement we won’t survive the 1st round.

I think we just have to lower our expectations. Getting to the NCAA tournament is who we are now. You have to have better players to expect anything else. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

When does football season start? 

The one good thing about basketball season is that if you are one of 64 you get a reset in March. That’s what makes CBB great. Days like today make you wish for exactly what you just said. 😞

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I think we just have to lower our expectations. Getting to the NCAA tournament is who we are now. You have to have better players to expect anything else. 

Well you may be right. And if so…. that sucks.

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Holloway looked like he was going to be a star first couple games…now he’s basically disappeared. That’s a problem. 

No clean air space on 3’s. Everything is contested. Teams don’t fear his dribble drive game so they can overplay on the perimeter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ElkRiver said:

Playing this road game is such a dumb thing to do. I heard Bruce say in an interview that he scheduled it because it’s “the right thing to do”, whatever that means. 

Well it’s two folded. This is probably a team that’s going to be closer to being on the bubble by the time March comes, so you want to have any brownie point in your favor that you can have. Plus, it’s just a good data point to have to evaluate your own team. A NCAA tournament game is going to be closer to this than it will be some conference game where you have weeks of scouting and a general familiarity with your opponent and its atmosphere 

There’s also no reason not to schedule this game btw lol, it doesn’t hurt you if you lose 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Disappointing is understated. Basketball is pretty much all we’ve had for several years now and these types of games just add to the frustration of football season. They may get better but the dismal three point shooting is not what we heard was coming. It’s getting worse the more we play. 

Yea, I feel other sports definitely get a lot more negative scrutiny when the football program's down.  Too early to tell what this team's ceiling is in November, but looking like an 8-9 seed type thing again for now (which is annoying as I'd rather be a 10-11 to avoid a 1-seed in the second round).

I get frustrated at some of CBP's in-game rotations, but I tell myself if his "bad years" are Auburn losing 1st or 2nd round in the NCAA tournament, I won't complain one bit.  Not sure if that counts as "settling for mediocrity" as a fan or not, but in my viewpoint, I'd rather have a frustrating perennial guaranteed tournament team that has the capability every 4-5 years for a S16 and better than the desert of Auburn basketball from the 2000s-early 2010s.

• Like 1

When was the last time the fans of an opposing home team stormed the court to celebrate a victory over AU? Maybe Arkansas when we were ranked #1? I guess we have made the "Big Time" in basketball even if we don't play that way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Lower expectations? I mean that’s pretty lofty expectations! 

Pathetic showing today but we'll be fine. Perfect storm for a loss: We shot like crap and the other team shot way above their normal percentage. In-game coaching is one thing I've always had issues with when it comes to Pearl. I just have to think if he tells Aden not to take those damn 3's coming off the screen every time he'll listen. They'll get some stuff corrected (i hope).

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well it’s two folded. This is probably a team that’s going to be closer to being on the bubble by the time March comes, so you want to have any brownie point in your favor that you can have. Plus, it’s just a good data point to have to evaluate your own team. A NCAA tournament game is going to be closer to this than it will be some conference game where you have weeks of scouting and a general familiarity with your opponent and its atmosphere 

There’s also no reason not to schedule this game btw lol, it doesn’t hurt you if you lose 

lol no they won’t. Sun belt is a 1 bid league. Though James Madison if they have a historic season may could get in if they don’t win their conference tourney.  They have to win their conference tourney. They are a solid team in a ok mid major team. We beat them by 20 at home. 

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

When was the last time the fans of an opposing home team stormed the court to celebrate a victory over AU? Maybe Arkansas when we were ranked #1? I guess we have made the "Big Time" in basketball even if we don't play that way.

The Bruce Pearl effect. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no they won’t. Sun belt is a 1 bid league. Though James Madison if they have a historic season may could get in if they don’t win their conference tourney.  They have to win their conference tourney. They are a solid team in a ok mid major team. We beat them by 20 at home. 

That post was about Auburn, not App St. Auburn needs what I described 

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

Pathetic showing today but we'll be fine. Perfect storm for a loss: We shot like crap and the other team shot way above their normal percentage. In-game coaching is one thing I've always had issues with when it comes to Pearl. I just have to think if he tells Aden not to take those damn 3's coming off the screen every time he'll listen. They'll get some stuff corrected (i hope).

Aden hasn’t shot a lot the past couple of games. He was just trying to over compensate down the stretch when we were down. He hasn’t  been pressing as much as I thought he would for a guy in a shooting slump. He’s such a good shooter I wish he could take some mid range shots.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Yea, I feel other sports definitely get a lot more negative scrutiny when the football program's down.  Too early to tell what this team's ceiling is in November, but looking like an 8-9 seed type thing again for now (which is annoying as I'd rather be a 10-11 to avoid a 1-seed in the second round).

I get frustrated at some of CBP's in-game rotations, but I tell myself if his "bad years" are Auburn losing 1st or 2nd round in the NCAA tournament, I won't complain one bit.  Not sure if that counts as "settling for mediocrity" as a fan or not, but in my viewpoint, I'd rather have a frustrating perennial guaranteed tournament team that has the capability every 4-5 years for a S16 and better than the desert of Auburn basketball from the 2000s-early 2010s.

I haaaaaate the rotations. He is especially excessive with it in the non conference. We flat out don’t play our best players as much as other teams.

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been covered but: Holloway needs to spend some serious time over the next three or four games riding the pine and watching Tre Donaldson playing point guard. The young lad has a lot to learn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

As I generally say (beating dead horse), watching more ball always helps in evaluating Auburn. There are much better teams that had much worse losses than Auburn did today, within the same conference 

App state beat the team who won at rupp yesterday by 30.

• Like 4

For whatever reason, we can't defend without fouling. 

And we are either in a shooting slump, or are not a particularly good shooting team. 

We'll win some we aren't supposed to win.  BP does that.  But I'm expecting some frustrating losses as well.

Grow during the season, and see what happens in March.  I've adjusted my expectations to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

For whatever reason, we can't defend without fouling. 

And we are either in a shooting slump, or are not a particularly good shooting team. 

We'll win some we aren't supposed to win.  BP does that.  But I'm expecting some frustrating losses as well.

Grow during the season, and see what happens in March.  I've adjusted my expectations to that.

We can’t in todays college basketball where every trip down the floor is a foul that’s for sure.

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Bruce paraphrased-Our guards got beat by their guards. So true, so sad. I don't see a guard that can drive the ball and score.

That’s where the loss of Flanagan is going to be hurt the most - we just don’t have a great guard defender as an option. CBM has moments like that, but he’s not really a guy you would want to put on point guards. Flanagan could defend 1-4 reliably. Going to have to be a lot of nights like today where our guys play help defense on drivers and we have to just hope open shooters don’t make shots, unlike App St did 

• Like 1