MBB: AU vs App State

RunInRed

Some expected new contributors are not contributing (Holloway, Jones to be specific), and some return contributors are hurting the team (KD, Cardwell).  

CB-M’s play is erratic, at best, right now. JW is JW. TD has been more consistent, and Broome can be a beast if used correctly (and not from the arc).  

Bruce has a lot of work to do for this team to have a good season. 

16 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I feel ya. Oats has come into Turdsboro and done more in quicker fashion. His John Petty/Herb Jones team was akin to our Final 4 team, but he’s done more since, albeit last year with an player who should have been kicked off the team before snatch rolled around.

Oates has been especially valuable to the rise in workforce at the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Oates has been especially valuable to the rise in workforce at the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

Saw where he suspended Nick Pringle. I looked it up, and of course, he is averaging 5-6 points per game. No way he suspends him if he is averaging 17 per game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We couldn’t contain their guards in man-to-man. God help us in SEC play. 

Also, all we heard in pre-season, from Bruce, was how great this team was at shooting the treys.  He didn’t tell us they couldn’t make them, however. 3 for 27 is not going to win vs the SEC, much less Appy St.

No the fans said that. Bruce said he thought we would be better from outside, but he didn't go around bragging about it. 

• Like 1

Ahem ..... this was a truly disappointing outing by my Tigers. And I've already asked a week or two ago about our outside shooting, which was supposed to be spectacular with the addition of Jones.

Hoping the team will gel in the coming weeks.

Edited by AURex

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I feel ya. Oats has come into Turdsboro and done more in quicker fashion. His John Petty/Herb Jones team was akin to our Final 4 team, but he’s done more since, albeit last year with an player who should have been kicked off the team before snatch rolled around.

Here we go comparing ourselves to big brother Bama. Oats and Bama paid for the players we didn't. Once again, it is more exciting to play at Auburn, yet the morgue got those great players. Somebody is doing something fishy.

This is a bad loss for Auburn. Might come back to haunt the team during the NCAA tournament selections.

Yes, Bruce has a lot of work to do , this is a big step back for him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

This is a bad loss for Auburn. Might come back to haunt the team during the NCAA tournament selections.

Yes, Bruce has a lot of work to do , this is a big step back for him.

It’s not even the worse loss by a sec team today. Mississippi state lost to a swac team… at home.

• Like 3

AU teams the last two years were playing well enough in certain parts of the season to be prominently mentioned on national radio shows. Unfortunately, those parts of the season were early or middle of the schedule and not at tournament time. Bruce has 10 players that can contribute every game. The challenge is to get them to play without thinking, and to play together. And then to peak at tourney time.

There are some interesting 3 pt stats from the game.   We had 8 players attempt at least 1 3.   6 of them did not make one.   All of our starters, except Moore, attempted a 3.   App St only had 5 players attempt a 3.   Each of them made at least 1.   Only 1 starter attempted a 3 going 2 for 4.   App St only subbed 4 players.   All 4 of them attempted at least 3 3s.   For the year, we have 9 players who have played meaningful minutes and attempted a 3 point shot.  App St has 6.

I think the ceiling for any of Pearl's teams are sweet 16ish.  He caught lightening in a bottle one year and since we've been a just above average team where I think we will stay.  

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

I think the ceiling for any of Pearl's teams are sweet 16ish.  He caught lightening in a bottle one year and since we've been a just above average team where I think we will stay.  

He had a great season 2 years ago. We got to #1 for the first time in history and won the SEC regular season championship. We won 28 games that year and Jabari went #3 in the draft and Kessler was also a 1st round pick.

During the pandemic when they cancelled March Madness, we were 25-6 that year and 2nd in the SEC standings.  

We won 2 SEC regular season championships and 1 SEC Tourney championship in a 5 year span. We've had seasons of 30, 28, 26, 25 and 21 wins since 2017 (not in that order). As of last year, we had more wins the last 6 seasons than any other SEC school and that is also counting our 13 win season 3 years ago where we were ineligible for the tourney due to a 1 year ban. 

2 years ago we were undefeated at home the entire season and then lost our final home game of that season. 

Making runs during March Madness is very hard. Winning a Natty in college basketball is the hardest title to win of the 3 major sports. Bruce got us to 21-13 last year and 11-7 in SEC play and fans (not you in particular) were calling it mediocre. 

The SEC has been loaded for a few years now with us, Bama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas A&M and even LSU was tough up until 2 years ago. We have regularly had more teams in the AP top 25 each week, than any other conference. So for Bruce Pearl to do what he has done since 2017, hats off to him. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

There are some interesting 3 pt stats from the game.   We had 8 players attempt at least 1 3.   6 of them did not make one.   All of our starters, except Moore, attempted a 3.   App St only had 5 players attempt a 3.   Each of them made at least 1.   Only 1 starter attempted a 3 going 2 for 4.   App St only subbed 4 players.   All 4 of them attempted at least 3 3s.   For the year, we have 9 players who have played meaningful minutes and attempted a 3 point shot.  App St has 6.

I was expecting one of those questions at the end like “How many App St players had Apple Jacks for breakfast?”. 

22 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Aden being nearly a 60s% FT shooter is the most shocking thing to me. I didn’t expect Broome to become magically good at these at 30 years old, but I would’ve had Aden being a 80% guy written in pen. Maybe it’ll take some time for him to adjust to the college line

Broome is 21

19 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Based on the last 4 years. Bruce has become the  basketball version of Arthur Gustav Malzahn III. Prove me wrong

No.  Not at all.  Bruce just signed the 2nd best PG in the country and another top 100 recruit.  Gus could no longer recruit on his side of the ball - period.  No comparing the two.  Just shows total ignorance of sports and recruiting to even bring it up.  Sorry about your lack of understanding both sports.  Feel bad for you. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

No.  Not at all.  Bruce just signed the 2nd best PG in the country and another top 100 recruit.  Gus could no longer recruit on his side of the ball - period.  No comparing the two.  Just shows total ignorance of sports and recruiting to even bring it up.  Sorry about your lack of understanding both sports.  Feel bad for you. 

I was going to say this post was a bit harsh until I saw the original one you quoted…oh boy 

On the one hand, JW missing that and 1, which I think would have taken the lead down to 2, after he made a great play to get the guy into his body, was just 1 point, but man it felt like a huge 1 point.   I believe App St then shot and made a one pass 3 at the other end.   

Couple of things here.  Bottom line we had a bad shooting day.  Actually it was a very tough environment.  

Aden has had two bad shooting games in a row.  The previous games he looked the part of a 5 star.  He isn't getting his feet set like he was early on.  I noticed he even separated his legs twice on his shot the other day.  He is too good of a player not to get that corrected.

Denver Jones is disappointing but he still has plenty of time to right the ship.  Too many wide open misses at this point.

Chaney is Okay, is playing his role well and actually getting better each outing.

We won't shoot this bad regularly.  We will have another bad shooting game or two, but it will balance out over time.  We will have a couple of games we are just lights out.  

Moore doesn't need to see the floor period.  Too many turnovers and just not good.  Once we get that corrected we will know that Bruce is serious about winning basketball games.  If Moore continues to see playing time then we deserve our faith.  

Also Bruce can't disrupt our own runs by substituting just to substitute.  That will change too.  At least I hope.  

Edited by KillenTime

6 hours ago, fishepa said:

If you can make the sweet 16, there is always a chance to get hot and win it all. One thing is for sure - you can’t win it all without getting in.  First step - make the field. 

21 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

No the fans said that. Bruce said he thought we would be better from outside, but he didn't go around bragging about it. 

IMG_4349.jpeg