Next year

Well, we're going to need to because Jay Will has no eligibility left and Broome probably goes pro and while Cardwell won't get you more than defense, he's a senior. And Chaney hasn't exactly come on yet which I hope he does by the end of the season. I think he's still adjusting. 

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We’ll have a stellar group of guards next year, but I sure hope we get 2-3 bigs in the portal.

BP is gonna have to use some portal strategy...

• Like 1

If everyone returns, we’ll only need to add a C & PF from the portal to replace Johni Broome & Jaylin Williams.

Broome, Jones, Chaney and CBM are all Portal players. Pearl has shown he know how to use the Portal.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Broome, Jones, Chaney and CBM are all Portal players. Pearl has shown he know how to use the Portal.

Can he and Freeze talk?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Can he and Freeze talk?

Sure wouldn't hurt.

I feel confident that CBP recognizes exactly what kind of players he needs to be competitive going forward, and is digging into every nook, cranny and corner to identify and recruit players who can fit into his team.

Will he find a Kessler or Okoro or Okeke to just come along and say "howdy, I'm here"? Somehow, I think it may be more difficult than that. And we know that he struck out on the over-hyped Traore.

Maybe he won't find a troop of bigs to bludgeon opponents. But I don't doubt that he's working on it.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:30 PM, TexasTiger said:

We’ll have a stellar group of guards next year, but I sure hope we get 2-3 bigs in the portal.

@TexasTiger not sure about the guards yet. KD will be gone. Denver could be gone. He was hoping to be one and done when he came here. If Holloway kicks in high gear, he could be one and done. May depend on who we add with Pettiford in the portal.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:32 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Can he and Freeze talk?

@War to the Eagle it’s a lot easier to disperse funds among 13 players as opposed to 85 players. For football most teams will not excel at both high school and portal recruiting. Just not enough NIL funds to do both. Freeze chose to excel at high school recruiting, and with any football NIL we have left will do what he can in the portal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@TexasTiger not sure about the guards yet. KD will be gone. Denver could be gone. He was hoping to be one and done when he came here. If Holloway kicks in high gear, he could be one and done. May depend on who we add with Pettiford in the portal.

Perhaps, but IMO Holloway isn’t going to project for the draft unless he really picks up. Hopefully, he learns from Sharife.

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Perhaps, but IMO Holloway isn’t going to project for the draft unless he really picks up. Hopefully, he learns from Sharife.

100% agree.  

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Unless Denver really comes on In conference play, I think he’s back. 

The current iteration of Aden and Denver would be insane to go out (I literally haven't seen Aden on a singular mock draft and I've peeped at least 9 so far). I loved what he's brought as a freshman, and he's one of the best in the game this season, but he's displayed no consistent counter when his jumper is off. I know the scheme/staff itself asks him to put them up if he's semi-open because it helps with spacing, but as a small guard, you're going to need to show more consistent chops for being able to break down dudes off the dribble. There's been quite a few instances where he's dribbled to create space for a 3, but doing that for a layup or floater? very very few in comparison 

It's kinda like the anti-Sharife problem (great driver, horrible shooter and projected as a non-shooting threat) when he came out. I thought the staff may work to figure that out in early December, but it's early January and he has pretty much played the exact same game, so I'm not too hopeful. Again, this is just constructive criticism, and he's still a VERY valued part of this roster. The threat of him as a shooter adds so much that is not quantifiable to this roster. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The current iteration of Aden and Denver would be insane to go out (I literally haven't seen Aden on a singular mock draft and I've peeped at least 9 so far). I loved what he's brought as a freshman, and he's one of the best in the game this season, but he's displayed no consistent counter when his jumper is off. I know the scheme/staff itself asks him to put them up if he's semi-open because it helps with spacing, but as a small guard, you're going to need to show more consistent chops for being able to break down dudes off the dribble. There's been quite a few instances where he's dribbled to create space for a 3, but doing that for a layup or floater? very very few in comparison 

It's kinda like the anti-Sharife problem (great driver, horrible shooter and projected as a non-shooting threat) when he came out. I thought the staff may work to figure that out in early December, but it's early January and he has pretty much played the exact same game, so I'm not too hopeful. Again, this is just constructive criticism, and he's still a VERY valued part of this roster. The threat of him as a shooter adds so much that is not quantifiable to this roster. 

Everything you say is true as a smallguard he needs to perfect the dribble drive with a floater in the lane. Hopefully he will also watch Tre and see how well Tre runs the offense.

Tre also shoots less three's but at a higher percent. I see how much Tre has grown in a year and I expect the same from Aden.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Everything you say is true as a smallguard he needs to perfect the dribble drive with a floater in the lane. Hopefully he will also watch Tre and see how well Tre runs the offense.

Tre also shoots less three's but at a higher percent. I see how much Tre has grown in a year and I expect the same from Aden.

I honestly don't ever expect Aden to have that caliber of passing instincts, but he would definitely take a hell of a leap if he could be about 75% of Tre, in terms of looking to dribble to create for others. But what he needs to do to maximize his own game is just become a more diverse scorer. If he can take up more attention as both a shooter and driver, he'll draw 2 consistently and create the easy and open looks.