Ole Miss Game- Make or break

lost

Before i am misunderstood, AU is not going to mail it in if they lose tomorrow night at Oxford. They still have time to improve.

But there comes a time you have to prove to yourselves YOU can. This no doubt is that game. To lose another opportunity at a Quad 1 victory, another road game is to hammer another nail in the “ You Are Not Very Good Coffin”.  I just do not know if this team can rise in the future( when their back is against the wall ) and win the games necessary to get very far at all in the 64. 

Leadership is the problem. Will finally the key players step forward, make the stops, keep their composure , hit that shot??

I desperately Hope so. 

• Like 4

I also think this is a crucial game. The next 100 hours or so are extremely important. Two must win games, in my opinion. 

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 2

Random but Duke has 4 guys shooting over 40% from 3….wtf? That’s unreal 

we have to get more consistent, HAVE to 

A win today will go a long way toward the lead up and preparation for Bama on Wednesday. Win both of those and everyone starts feeling better about the murderer’s row we are now facing. Nothing will be easy so the sloppy play has to be very limited. I would love for Aden to be more under control with some of his shots. Trying to draw contact isn’t necessarily working for him on his awkward looking threes. We have to quit having three players watching the opponent get the offensive rebound too. It helps so much when Jalen is on, the Bama game was a nightmare for him. Hopefully Denver has found his stroke, that Vandy game was good for him. Of course playing Vandy is good for everybody. I get to go watch them today  at OM so I’m cautiously excited. 

• Like 1

In order to keep this forum from going nuclear (fusion, not fission), then YES, this is a must win game.

And beyond that, I'm afraid a loss today would be so deflating to the team that Wednesday's home rivalry game would be very much in doubt as well, just from the negative carryover effect.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 3

I disagree. I don't think nobody thinks we aren't good. It's great to win every game but right now it's all about learning your role. I'd like to see a guard come out and be a go to type of guy. 

We just aren't as bad as people reacted. You have a bunch of new players that have to get comfortable playing with a new group and learn their roles. None of these games really matter. Clicking now doesn't matter. Clicking around the end of Feb beginning of March is what's most important. 

Every single year this forum goes crazy over regular season losses. We have JB, we need Chaney to be more comfortable because we need him to actually be our strongest defensively. We need our guards to be able to make sound decisions during close games. That's about it. Shooting comes and goes. We don't have any super consistent shooters so we need to be able to defensively hurt whoever we play. 

• Like 4

I just read that App State made it into the top 75 this week, which means that Auburn is now 0-4 in Quad 1 games this season.

Pushing it to 0-5 today would be very telling, I think.

Edited by WillMunny

Not feeling too confident about this one and I thought we’d beat bama. Really surprised to see us as the betting favorite. Hope I’m wrong. War Eagle! 

12 minutes ago, BustemBigBlue said:

Not feeling too confident about this one and I thought we’d beat bama. Really surprised to see us as the betting favorite. Hope I’m wrong. War Eagle! 

We're better than Ole Miss. Just have to play like it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Random but Duke has 4 guys shooting over 40% from 3….wtf? That’s unreal 

we have to get more consistent, HAVE to 

Agree we need to be more consistent. Not that hard to believe, though. We have 3 at 38% or above, and Denver at 37%. Holloway is currently 7th on the team in percentage at 32%.  That's bound to go up sooner or later.

• Like 1

We need a win for sure. 

But a game on February 3rd when we are safely in the tournament, barring a historic collapse, is not make or break. We are still on path to find ourselves in a few weeks and playing our best ball at the right time. But this game is important no doubt. Just not as extreme as make or break IMO

Edited by Tiger
  • Thanks 1

The problem against bama and App State was loss of composure.  That is leadership and discipline failures.   Miss State ate us up on the glass and played great defense. 

ole Miss has not lost at home. To lose composure tonight is another loss. 

I really think the make or break is beating Bama next week and the home and home with UGA. Split Bama and sweep UGA and we get some big credit for that. I just think we’re still working out the kinks and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few difficulties today. We really need to have a good game next Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We need a win for sure. 

But a game on February 3rd when we are safely in the tournament, barring a historic collapse, is not make or break. We are still on path to find ourselves in a few weeks abs playing our best ball at the right time. But this game is important no doubt. Just not as extreme as make or break IMO

Read the post please. I made sure everyone knew what I meant by make or break. 
It is not getting in the tournament— It is doing something when you get there

34 minutes ago, lost said:

😉

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

We need a win for sure. 

But a game on February 3rd when we are safely in the tournament, barring a historic collapse, is not make or break. We are still on path to find ourselves in a few weeks and playing our best ball at the right time. But this game is important no doubt. Just not as extreme as make or break IMO

Didn't we lose a couple of games we probably shouldn't had before we got hot and went on that elite 8 run? 

Or am I wrong do any of you really think we aren't a good team?

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Or am I wrong do any of you really think we aren't a good team?

I think you are what you think you are. Regardless to what i think you are. 
so another failure to win a game you are supposed to win puts a mental block that immediately effects what happens further down the road. 
So yea, they get hot ( whenever) but in that tournament when adversity hits that mental block happens. “ Here we go again, another loss “ … boom and out they go

Instead of beating a team they should and advancing. It all happens now. 

We have 5 home games left. Three are Alabama, Kentucky and SC, all potential losses.  Gotta win 3 of 5 to hit 20 wins.  

Count the road games as automatic losses.

20 wins is gonna be tough.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, lost said:

I think you are what you think you are. Regardless to what i think you are. 
so another failure to win a game you are supposed to win puts a mental block that immediately effects what happens further down the road. 
So yea, they get hot ( whenever) but in that tournament when adversity hits that mental block happens. “ Here we go again, another loss “ … boom and out they go

Instead of beating a team they should and advancing. It all happens now. 

I'm sort of confused about the beginning of your post but at the end I see what you saying but I think that's more at end of the regular season schedule. I think right now it's about working kinks out. Then I think if you lose to a suck teams in the conference tournaments then that messes you up for the important games. 

Now I think how you lose matters. Losing right at the end I think just can build character. Now if you get your doors blown off now you losing confidence. Also with certain teams just one guy can affect teams..... You just lose or win because you have or don't have that guy and that guy breeds confidence to their respective team.

47 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We have 5 home games left. Three are Alabama, Kentucky and SC, all potential losses.  Gotta win 3 of 5 to hit 20 wins.  

Tonight may have been the turning point.

I’ll take it.

• Love 1

Apparently CBM stepped up and talked to the team at half .... That's exactly what I was talking about as far as guys will start getting their roles. A coach can't appoint stuff to a team, leadership and stuff like that is earned. 

So that's what I mean as far as each game we will learn different stuff and hopefully when it's tourney time everybody will understand their role and we will be clicking. We need to know who's needing the ball at the end of games, whos an enforcer, who is the guy setting things up for everybody etc. 

It's just waaay too early to think the team may suck. And fortunately we are learning while winning, that is a super big privilege, but sometimes you may learn while losing too, the most important thing is not making a bunch of mistakes at one time.

The other thing you can't teach is toughness and hopefully we will have that as well. This is why I say we over react every year. Every team has to do this and this year team has new guys at important parts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Our record at home is insane though. I looked at it a few weeks ago. I think we’ve only lost like 2 home games in the last several years. Road games in college basketball are always hard. Bama had to play their best and we had to play our worst at their arena, and we still almost won. UK and SC are good. But playing in Neville is especially hard. We should win all three of those games, and I think we’ll beat Bama by 20+ in Neville.

Edit: Just checked the home record. Since the beginning of the 21-22 season, Auburn is 41-2 at home.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lost said:

It was an absolute must for still having a shot at the SEC regular season title, and also critical for getting a top 4 seed in the SEC. Got it done, now have to win Wednesday.